close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Why Isn't The Ruger LCP 9mm ?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Glocker08, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Glocker08

Glocker08

I have never understood why Ruger didn't chamber the LCP in 9mm. It is a vastly more popular round with cheaper ammo and therefore would sell much better than .380 IMO. It just seems like a no brainer to me.:dunno:

They could make a 9mm version with little to no increase in size,and possibly no decrease in capacity. .380 is just a "9mm short" after all. Hopefully they will make one in the future. I'd be one of the first in line.

2. UrbanCowboy

UrbanCowboy Koch Addict

Who knows. They must not have had enough people interested in them since they stopped making the SP101 in 9mm. I for one would love a 9mm revolver, since most of my handguns are nines.

3. Shortimer

Shortimer

I think that you are right, it would be a very good seller in the 9mm, but I think that the LCP far exceeded even their greatest expectations in sales. By the way they still seem hard to find on a consistent level. I was one of the very first to get the LCP in eastern NC other that LE. Its not my primary carry gun but it has been totally flawless & travels very well.

4. G26Okie

G26Okie

If they made one in 9mm, I'd get it in a heartbeat.

5. REDDAWN

REDDAWN

RUGER is waiting on KEL-TEC to get the bugs worked out Before they copy another Caliber...:rofl:

6. hogship

hogship Patriot Extraordinaire

I don't know, but I'd bet the farm it's the exact same reason why Kel-tec doesn't chamber their P3AT in 9mm.

Must be a good reason for it, because it it could be done, all other things being equal.....including price......they would have done it!

hog

7. bac1023

bac1023

I didn't think it was that difficult to understand.

The 9mm operates at about twice the pressure of the 380.

You can't just swap out the two like you would the 9mm and 40S&W. The gun would be larger and, therefore, lose the main benefit to the LCP. The LCP, as is, would likely get blown apart by the 9mm.

Rohrbaugh makes a 9mm nearly as small, but its over $1000 and isn't +P rated. Its also nearly twice as heavy as the LCP.

8. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

At its current size maybe becase it would either too painful to shoot a full mag or it will break in your hand.

There is a reason why the Kel Tec PF9 and P11 is bigger that a P3at. The aluminum rail on the P3at and Lcp is tiny.

9. bac1023

bac1023

Its not that easy.

They're two completely different rounds, operating at two completely different pressure ranges.

10. Kentucky Shooter

Kentucky Shooter NRA Life Member

Bigger cartridges equal thicker grips, less round capacity, etc..... They could not fit six 9mm cartidges into the LCP with making the pistols dimensions larger, thus offsetting some concealment advantages. They were trying to build something to equate to the Keltec P3AT. That would at least be my take on it.

11. sigcalcatrant

sigcalcatrant

Well said! I totally agree with the first sentence. Do some people not realize the physics behind what makes a firearm work? I'm not trying to be insulting, but seriously, there is a lot more than just length to consider.

12. Diesel_Bomber

Diesel_Bomber

Have you actually fired one?

I may be a wuss, but between the light weight and itty bitty grip, I wouldn't WANT an LCP chambered in 9mm. That little .380 kicks like crazy. My follow up shots are slow and if I put an entire 50 round box through it in a day then my hands hurt for two days afterwards. If there was room for my pinky and it weighed about 4x as much, I'd be fine with a 9mm LCP. Definitely a case where carrying anything is better than nothing; I vastly prefer my Glock.

Like I said, I may just be a wuss.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  13. Nufrifin

Nufrifin

They should copy PF9.

14. arclight610

arclight610

Shooting the LCP is punishing enough. Ever shoot Buffalo Bore hardcast through the LCP? Brutal. Also, the ballistics of the BB don't even come close to a standard pressure 9mm round. Now shooting 9mm round out of an 8oz gun, let alone +p or +p+, that would be the king of pain.

Next up: Why don't they chamber the LCR in 44 magnum?

15. blackbirdzach

blackbirdzach

Yup, a 9mm would blow that gun apart.

16. eXistenZ

eXistenZ Play it.

I'm with you on this. My LCP is FAR from fun to shoot but a great carry gun.

17. lanternlad

lanternlad Mythmatician

You mean that Ruger hasn't copied the Kel-Tec PF-9 yet?

18. gatorhugger

gatorhugger

.22shorts was not enough, .22 long rifle was not enough, .25acp was not enough, .32 was not enough,
    finally Keltec makes a 7 shot .380 in a gun the size of cell phone and
    it's not enough.
    The .380 is a handful as is, is plenty powerful for the purpose it is
    made for and still it's ridiculed as not enough. Does this size issue
    ever really end?

How about we clamor to get Ruger/KT, to make a .44 magnum the size of box of chicklets that will get off one shot and will miss all targets by 10 feet? Will that finally satisfy the peanut gallery?

Heck, a 9 shot .22 pocket gun is more than enough to get somebody out of a jam and save your life, certainly a .380 is enough.
    Everyone wants bigger, bigger, bigger, it's not real smart.
    I will take on target everytime.

19. jdeere_man

jdeere_man CLM

IMO, as designed, the LCP wouldn't stand or function on 9mm platform. Totally different ballastics....

20. bac1023

bac1023

True, the OP needs a little understanding of pressures, ballistics, and pistol design.

I find this thread a bit humorous, to be honest.