GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Change for the sake of change. I prefer the gen3 40s myself. Dual recoil spring, ambi slide stop, thicker slide are all unnecessary IMO. And unwanted by me. I'm left handed, too. Finger grooves are not an issue either way. My 1999 G23 still works fine. Still my main carry gun.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Change for the sake of change. I prefer the gen3 40s myself. Dual recoil spring, ambi slide stop, thicker slide are all unnecessary IMO. And unwanted by me. I'm left handed, too. Finger grooves are not an issue either way. My 1999 G23 still works fine. Still my main carry gun.
Only thing I appreciate with it is the ambi mag release and slide release. Which are things I've learned to manipulate in other ways because I don't always have that option. And I personally like the finger grooves. I do hate thicker slide and weight....

Sent from my SM-F916U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Only thing I appreciate with it is the ambi mag release and slide release. Which are things I've learned to manipulate in other ways because I don't always have that option. And I personally like the finger grooves. I do hate thicker slide and weight....

I don't have an issue with my thumbs getting into the slide stop, like my right handed friends. The gen5 gives me that issue. Tried moving the mag release to the right side on a Beretta I had. Changed it back. Most of my pistols don't have the option. I do fine with my left hand.

·
NRA Benefactor Life Member
3,355 Posts
Unless they change spring weight.

For the Glock 20 Glock used the 21 spring and added slide mass.
For the Gen 4 .40's they changed the spring.
The thing is with a heavier spring the return to battery is faster and more violent but the opening is slower. More slide mass slows slide speed both ways.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
You won't feel the difference. Been shooting Glocks long?
11 years and a current glock armorer. This is the only gen where dimensions and weight changed so I thought it would have positive effects. Except it had no effect

·
NRA Benefactor Life Member
3,355 Posts
11 years and a current glock armorer. This is the only gen where dimensions and weight changed so I thought it would have positive effects. Except it had no effect

I'm thinking longevity of things like trigger pins, locking blocks etc. but I'm not a certified armorer or master pistol smith yet so it's just an opinion.;)

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
Biggest issue will be when police agencies upgrade pistols and get gen5... only to find out they need to change each officer's holster too which costs over 100 dollars.

Unintended consequences can be significant. Upgrading a Glock to a new Glock with HUGE trade-in discounts yielding guns that are under $100 each is enticing. But if they force the purchase of new holsters... they open the door for other brands to try to switch them to their brand.

If the added width and weight came with an added value, that would be one thing. In this case, it seems to be minor undesirable features added, which is a tough sell.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
In the 13 years I've been a GT member I believe the fewest complaints and most compliments have gone to Generation 3 models.
Having experience with 3, 3.5, 4 and 5... I'd have to agree, but do like adjustable grips on 4. Ambi controls on 5 is welcome addition

·
Registered
9,040 Posts
The Holster Maker's Union paid Glock money to increase the slide width, so that everyone that replaces their older G27 with a Gen5 will have to buy a new holster. It's a racket, complete with kickbacks, extortion and racketeering.

That's my take on it. I'm sure that the fact that I just started watching Bad Blood tonight didn't have anything to do with my analysis. :D
it's a conspiracy! Just like the hot dog buns!
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0A-DeOYOJ0

·
Registered
11,537 Posts
Biggest issue will be when police agencies upgrade pistols and get gen5... only to find out they need to change each officer's holster too which costs over 100 dollars.

I went all Gen 5 when they came out and use the same holsters I had for my Gen 4 Glocks. I also tried my Gen 5 Glocks in triple retention Safariland holsters made about 15 years ago and they worked. What holsters had you tried where the Gen 5 would not work? All Gen 5 9mm Glocks.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I went all Gen 5 when they came out and use the same holsters I had for my Gen 4 Glocks. I also tried my Gen 5 Glocks in triple retention Safariland holsters made about 15 years ago and they worked. What holsters had you tried where the Gen 5 would not work?
Here ya go.

Level 3 is a 22 holster but a g27 does fit in there.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I went all Gen 5 when they came out and use the same holsters I had for my Gen 4 Glocks. I also tried my Gen 5 Glocks in triple retention Safariland holsters made about 15 years ago and they worked. What holsters had you tried where the Gen 5 would not work? All Gen 5 9mm Glocks.
Not sure if that posted on last picture.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts