Why is the gen5 G27 heavier compared to previous gens?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by LeasB11, Oct 21, 2020.

1. LeasB11

LeasB11

So I just got my Gen5 G27. The 1st thing I noticed when I picked it up was how much heavier it felt. The 2.5oz diff is actually very noticeable. Not to mention because the slide is ever so slightly thicker, it doesn't fit any of my previous generation holsters. Why did they do this change? I guess I am just curious what modification was needed to make the slide thicker which also made it heavier.[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-F916U using Tapatalk

boilergonzo likes this.
  2. thewoods868

thewoods868 thewoods868

To add mass because of the pin they eliminated id guess.

3. Papa glock

Papa glock

I believe there’s more weight in the slide. It’s a wider slide over previous generations.

DJ Niner and Buckshot Barry like this.
  4. FoatieFiveACP

FoatieFiveACP

The Holster Maker's Union paid Glock money to increase the slide width, so that everyone that replaces their older G27 with a Gen5 will have to buy a new holster. It's a racket, complete with kickbacks, extortion and racketeering.

That's my take on it. I'm sure that the fact that I just started watching Bad Blood tonight didn't have anything to do with my analysis. :D

5. FoatieFiveACP

FoatieFiveACP

Yes - the OP stated that. I believe he was asking for the reason why Glock increased the width.

6. LeasB11

LeasB11

I wish they kept 2 effing pins then. I have the same gun but gotta lug more weight around l.

They feel exactly shooting BTW. I was hoping more mass means less kick, but shot side by shot, there's no difference. Trigger is also meh. I feel like it has more travel.

7. TeaDub

TeaDub

The changes to the Gen 5s in the larger than 9mms have been discussed here for many months. They are more bulky and heavier. Some holsters won't fit. Thank you for the feedback on the trigger, btw.

I find ZERO use for these new offerings. I really enjoy my Gen 4 Glocks in 40. The good news is that I'm probably set for life. If not, there are tens if not hundreds of thousands of specimens to pick up lightly used in the future. Failing that, I'd opt for a Gen 3.

8. LeasB11

LeasB11

I agree.

I think gen 4 is the best one right now. I like lefty mag release and options for the grip.

Nothing absolutely wrong with my gen 3 though

boilergonzo likes this.
  9. Parzival

Parzival

just an observation here but did you not think the RDS on the Gen 5 pic was going to add any additional weight?

what is the weight on the Gen 5 without the RDS compared to the Gen 4 model?

boilergonzo and Sherlock913 like this.
  10. LeasB11

LeasB11

I think its about the same if not tad lighter even. The amount of steel milled off and lack of rear iron sight (steel night sight) probably evens it out.

The rds is on gen 3. Gen 5 won't have anything installed.

11. Parzival

Parzival

gotcha, i had them backwards when thinking about them.
    i see what you're saying now.

12. mmcbeat

mmcbeat

Have you shot it yet? I’m thinking the tiny bit of extra weight will be a plus when shooting the small gun.

13. 10or45

10or45 NRA Benefactor Life Member

Extra slide mass will tame slide speed.

14. LeasB11

LeasB11

I did.

There was absolutely no difference to me. Used same flush mags even without pinky rest to make sure I didn't have a better grip. I'd shoot 2 rounds and switch guns, did about 10 times. I honestly couldn't tell a difference.

The trigger felt like it had longer trigger, ever so slightly heavier break and about the same reset. Gen5 had a little crisper reset I think.

Last Armory course I went to (June last year) had both gen 4 and 5, so I was able to compare the internals as well and they are indeed very different.

TeaDub, boilergonzo and mmcbeat like this.
  15. LeasB11

LeasB11

Unless they change spring weight.

Just felt identical shooting.

I've shot g22 and g22c... now that you absolutely feel a difference. These 2... not so much lol

16. mmcbeat

mmcbeat

Interesting, I’m more of G26 guy but am interested in the new Gen 5 G27. Thanks for your input.

17. LeasB11

LeasB11

Anytime. So am i... but when work gives you a g27, you take it. Lol

18. Papa glock

Papa glock

Thanks for pointing that out. I read that and I totally missed it. Sorry!

19. Borg Warner

Borg Warner Free Full Clip!

This is all because Glock couldn't figure out a to beef up the frame after removing the third pin to make way for the ambi slide release. This was because they were in a hurry to submit a design for the Army's modular pistol trials and the FBI gun which both needed ambidextrous controls.

I don't honestly think there is that of an much improvement of the gen 5 guns over the gen 3's and 4's to make me think I need to have a Gen 5 and there isn't a huge difference between a new gun and a used gun in good condition to make me insist on having a new gun.

Gen 3 and Gen 4 Glocks have gone thousands of round without any failures and as far as I'm concerned the biggest improvement of the Gen 5's over the previous generation was the removal of the stupid finger grooves and I'd just as soon get a Gen 3 or 4 G27 in nice condition and remove the bumps on the ginger grooves and leave the checkering between the bumps rather than stippling. (see illustration)

I definitely won't be buying a Gen 5 Glock 27 or 23 because those slides are even bulkier and defeat the purpose of a compact carry gun. For a duty gun like the G22, carried OWB, it's not as objectionable.

But Glock needs to make Gen 6 guns with a way to allow optional left hand only. Right hand only, or Ambi slide release controls. And how about making forward slide serrations optional as well? Not all of us feel we need to follow all the latest fads.

Gen 3, 4, with finger grooves removed:

[​IMG]

20. LeasB11

LeasB11

Biggest issue will be when police agencies upgrade pistols and get gen5... only to find out they need to change each officer's holster too which costs over 100 dollars.

boilergonzo and IAhunter like this.