Why is purchasing a mattress such a nightmare??

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Navin, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Navin

Navin

My wife and I have to get a new mattress as ours is getting old. My problem is shopping for and finding the best mattress. I know a fair amount about mattresses from various websites and reviews, but the trouble is I don’t believe you can trust a lot of the reviews that are out there.

So here’s the situation. We prefer a traditional innerspring mattress over a memory foam or air mattress. We have slept on several memory foam mattresses and my wife swears they are too hot. I don’t think she will ever change her mind on this and I even tend to agree. I know the air mattresses get better overall reviews but with pump failures, noise and bad air chambers being the main failure complaints. We THINK we prefer an innerspring pillow top, but I also know that as beds have grown in size/height over time, the amount of layering has increased dramatically. Mattress manufacturers use all types of cheap foams and materials to build up layers over the uncomfortable innersprings to make them appealing – especially when you test them in the showroom. The one thing that I have gathered is that ALL pillow tops fail leaving ruts, sags or troughs where you sleep. That is our current problem with our pillow top mattress. So I am torn…should I buy a mid-level innerspring that I replace every 2-4 years or get one where I can add the pillowtop….or do I consider another approach altogether.

On a side note, I have always loved the Heavenly Beds at Westin, but the ones you buy in retail stores do not appear to be the same as those found in the hotels. On a recent stay at a Westin resort, I noted the Starwood Simmons has a zippable pillow top leaving me to believe that’s how the hotel chain can keep them comfortable – by changing the pillow top as they age. I noticed that the retail variety has a fixed pillow top making it impossible to change thus insuring that you are back in the store purchasing a new $3,000 mattress in just a few years.

Yesterday, we visited a Mattressfirm store and found one we thought we liked (Stearns and Foster), but the online reviews for the entire brand were horrible (ruts and sags). Now I am back at square one. Any suggestions?

My budget is up to $4,000 or so.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  2. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Lux.

Splurge now, thank me later.

Just saw your budget. Get the Lux pillows.

3. Kurly

Kurly

I'd check out http://www.sleeplikethedead.com

It's got tons of user reviews and price comparisons as well.

All that said, I traded in my Sealy pillow-top for a memory foam mattress (a Sleep Sensations one at that). And while I am generally hot-natured, I found that by using a wool mattress pad under a mattress cover, it eliminated the sweating issues I had originally with the memory foam. There are different memory foam mattress' naturally and some have a 'cool-air' foam component in them. I'd seek those out and try it. Many have a 30-90 day money-back guarantee. I would NOT go for a memory foam Tempurpedic. Their prices are outrageous for what you get.

4. Navin

Navin

Thanks. I had not heard of Lux, but I will check them out.
    Kurly, I will consider a foam mattress if my wife will allow, but I will have to get her past the heat issues. I did see one yesterday that had the "cool-air" component, but I didn't know how much that claim was "marketing".

5. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

Yeah, I agree, it's hard to invest in something you use 1/3 of your life when you can't really take it for a "test drive". Not a cheap purchase no matter which way you go.

I went with a Temper-Pedic a few years ago, and I was worried about dropping the cash, but luckily I love it, although it is 'warm' in the summer. (no AC at the house as it's only an issue a few nights out of the year) Have seen and heard about others with little gel-pellets in the Serta brand foam mattresses, but have never tried one, and have less than zero idea how well they work or how long they hold up.

My advice is get whatever your wifey likes, and no matter how uncomfortable you find the mattress, it sure beats sleeping on the couch!!:supergrin:

6. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Select Number,.........best mattress I've ever slept on

7. ysr_racer

ysr_racer

I don't know why you guys are making so much out of this.

1. Go to a mattress store
    2. Lay on a bunch of them
    3. Buy the one you like

It's not rocket science.

8. Tango 1Zero

Tango 1Zero Millennium Member

I did this a couple of years ago and I couldnt believe the prices. I went to a place calle dsleep outfitters and they seemed to cut through alot of the markups I was getting at furniture stores and places like that.
    They are new to our area and tried to undercut everybody.

9. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

Dishonesty sucks. I hardly trust any online reviews anymore unless it is a site that makes users log on and only allows them to post reviews of products that they have purchased from them.

I've been shopping for a new bed for a couple of years. It is a big investment and full of smoke and mirrors and snake oil.

I am really tempted to buy a bed system from Ikea. They have a good return policy and they aren't extremely expensive.

10. K.Kiser

K.Kiser

Simmons beautyrest sucks.. I'm out..

11. GLOCK19FTW

GLOCK19FTW

Wouldn't happen to be from this place, would it?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGvxZGJof_0"]Trent Bedding Pirate Video - YouTube[/ame]

lmfaooooo

12. The Fed

The Fed

My opinion is to buy a mattress with individual pocketed coils, like Simmons Beautyrest.

You should be able to get a Queen set for about 900 w/o pillowtop, 1000 with. My top unzips for washing but I don't know if that feature is still available. It's 8 years old and the mattress is saggy - time for a new one. But definitely get the coils I described - I think Sealy also has them. When you move your wife won't feel it - they do really work as advertised.

13. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

go to a sleep number store!!

you BOTH can be happy!

each side adjusts individually

They are having sales now.

14. Navin

Navin

Wow...I hadn't thought of that. Thanks!

Problem is that they all feel good in the store...then they fail.
    I think with my research, I have concluded that ALL innerspring pillow tops will fail. Memory foam (icomfort) gets good reviews, so I will have to check them out.

Based on personal experience and reviews, I would agree that Simmons Beautyrest does indeed suck! It's an innerspring.

15. Dan_ntx

Dan_ntx

I'm 6 ish years into a sleep number and couldn't be happier. No noise, no leaks, no drama. It's been moved a couple of times and no issues at all. I replaced the top of the mattress cover (it zips off) when we moved in September for $180 and it looks brand new again. It's not hot, and we have found that we do indeed like different levels of firmness (if that's a word).

I've got several friends and family members who have memory foam or sleep number beds and honestly haven't heard a complaint out of either group. I'm willing to bet that loud pumps, leaky chambers, and hot sleeping surfaces were conditions associated with early models and are just excuses used by traditional mattress salespeople to drive you away from e competition.

Why don't you see for yourself? You may be pleasantly surprised and sleeping better than ever soon.

16. norton

norton

4k:wow:

Mrs Norton and I went to the furniture store, laid on 3 or 4 different ones, bought a set that was about 1K. And I thought that was outrageous.
    I love it though. Its just hard enough I don't wake with a backache anymore.

17. Dave.1

Dave.1

Exactly what I did except for #3 substitute "Buy the one your wife likes".

Dave

18. volky

volky NRA Member Millennium Member

19. dennis3dflyer

dennis3dflyer

google foam mattress with mutible foam inserts. There was one online company that specializes in this , you read there instructions online to order what you think you want as far as firmness , softness. Then you get i think 2 or 3 inserts that you mix and match to come up with the feel , firmness you like.

You can send in for different types of foam to change the feel untill you get it right.

If later you need to put a new insert in you can.

The wool or other pads can help the heating , hot problem

Consider to try the memory foam under the latex foam for a less hot feeling yet a good fitting , soft matress.

Latex foam mixed with memory foam layered is the best i think for me.

Dennis

20. Navin

Navin

Thanks for all the input! I will do some checking this week for memory foam as well as try out some air mattresses. I think with all my research, I am about to rule out an innerspring pillow top. Though it may be a heat risk with foam or mechanical risk with air, I am willing to give these a shot. If most have a 120-day return, what is there to lose? I want to speak with someone at Comfortaire as these mattresses get good reviews. :juggle: