Why is my slide lockig back?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by hill billy, Jan 14, 2010.

1. hill billy

hill billy Head Case

My new to me g29 locked back the slide on the last round of the first mag and then would not release. Looking closer I saw that the slide release was not even up in the notch. So mag or no mag the slide is locked back but not by the lock. Only tapping on the back of the slide (maybe hard:whistling:) would get it closed. Why is this happening? I looked closely at my 30 and everything looks the same. What's fubared?

2. mixflip

mixflip

Whoa? I too would like to know how a slide can lock back without the use of the slide lock lever and no mag in the magwell?

3. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

Me too!

Can ya bring it over to my place so I can look at it? :)

What ammo are you shooting?

Does it have to have the mag in it to have it happen?

Can you make it happen manually?

It's 'new to you'...as in 'used'....right? Buy it from a gun shop?

Have you changed it at all since you got it?

4. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Silver Member

If anyone can help, it's Butch!

5. hill billy

hill billy Head Case

I am shooting my reloads which work fine in my G20. It does it manually, and without the mag,since I didn't want to run more ammo through it, I couldn't check that but I am assuming it would do it then as well. It did it with the factory barrel and then I put in the Lone Wolf barrel I just bought and it did it as well. It looks like the slide is traveling too far back cause when I do it with the mag, the slide release catches with no problem. No mag allows it to travel back about another 1/4".
    I bought it here on GT and it looks like someone pulled the pins at some point and beat the hell out of them. When the slide is back the slide release is tight down on the frame instead of up under the slide under spring pressure and I can't budge it so something is forcing that lever DOWN onto the frame.

6. PorkLover

PorkLover

are the pins broken?

7. hill billy

hill billy Head Case

I don't think they are. :crying:

I was at the range thinking, "I bet Butch can fix this one"

8. NateHodge

NateHodge Here too much

It's supposed to be this way. The slide release is held down by spring pressure, and the mag follower pushes it up when the mag is empty. Now, when you pull the slide to the rear, can you push the slide release/lock up and make it catch the slide?

9. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

I bet he could too! If he could see it.... :)

Field strip the gun, remove the spring and barrel from the slide. Take a good close look at the barrel, both inside and out, especially right in the middle area of it. I'm looking for a barrel bulge....it would look kinda like this: (yeah, it does it with the other barrel too, but it don't hurt to look)
    [​IMG]

You may not be able to see a bulge on the outside of the barrel, but you could possibly feel it, or there might be a mark where the slide is sticking on the barrel.

If you don't find a bulge, slide the slide back onto the frame without the barrel and recoil spring in place. Does it slide forward easily after getting all the way to the rear? Can you cause it to stick manually? (push the slide forward to where it would normally be when closed and pull the trigger to get it off the frame - DON'T let it fall on the floor!)

Check out the area of the frame just ahead of the front frame rails where the slide contacts the frame....look for unusual wear or damage.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  10. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

Back to Glock Inc.
    :supergrin:

11. hill billy

hill billy Head Case

I'll try all that, but having it do it with two different barrels tells me no bulges, at least I hope. I cleaned and lubed it well first but who knows. Guess I'll take it all the way down tonight and see what I find.

Eh, First owners tells me it all ran fine for him. Course he also told me it only had 500 rounds down the pipe. :supergrin: I'm not sending it back just yet.

12. hill billy

hill billy Head Case

I think I figured it out. I had to track down the OG barrel to figure this out. I could not replicate the issue with the OEM barrel. I put the LW barrel back in and racked the slide a kajillion(technical term)times.The sides of the chamber of the LW barrel seem to be jamming into the sides of the slide at the very front of the slide and lodging there just enough to hang up the whole affair.

I did it enough that now when it hangs up, I can just tap the back of the slide or wiggle the barrel and get it to drop back. I don't recommend the wiggling the barrel thing if this happens to you, trust me when I say you aren't fast enough to get your hands out of the way in time to keep the slide from nipping at you. :supergrin: Guess I'll call Lone Wolf in the morning and see if they'll send me a new barrel before they get mine in hand or have to wait the three weeks for them to turn it around when I send it back to them :upeyes:

13. hill billy

hill billy Head Case

Once again, I am very disappointed with LW's service. The last barrel I bought from them was wrong and instead of offering to send the new one out to me post haste, they wanted me to send the first one back and wait on the right one, a process they expected to take three weeks.

I got a hold of their armorer this time and explained the problem. He told me they just a few days back received a 29sf and they hadn't had a chance to make sure there were no differences between it and the 29. This, though their customer service folks say it will fit without an issue. so they asked me to ship it to them and they would have a look and get it back to me in three or four weeks since they were headed to the SHOT show. This blows.

After shooting the gun a bit more I am convinced the barrel is hanging up at the front of the slide as more and more material is being worn off the barrel. So I offered to bring the slide and barrel to the SHOT show since I will be there and their armorer will confirm what I already know. Then they will decide what to do.
    I'm done with Lone Wolf. Their customer service sucks balls.:steamed:

14. voyager4520

voyager4520

Are you using the same barrel for the G20 and the G29? The barrel lugs are different for each, so you'd need different aftermarket barrels for each.

15. Kilroy

Kilroy JAFMP Millennium Member

When reporting errors, it would be ethical to state that you'd modified the gun by use of aftermarket parts. It is reports like this that make repairs difficult and mislead others about the quality of a product.

16. hill billy

hill billy Head Case

Pretty sure I did that?

17. hill billy

hill billy Head Case

Didn't bother to read the thread, eh?