close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Why is my dog puking?

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by Germanasian, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Germanasian

Germanasian Word

I have a 4 yr old female Queensland Heeler/Australian Shepherd mix. We feed her two cups of either Iams or Pet Gold dog food a day. We only occasionally give her a treat of raw vegetables or slightly cooked meat.

Anyway, the last couple of weeks she has been throwing up once a day. It comes out looking like a really deep yellow beer. There are no chunks inside, just a yellow clear liquid with some foam to it. She has always puked like this from time to time, but only about once a month, and usually there was some partially digested kibble in there as well as the 'beer'.

I haven't taken the dog to the vet yet because money is a little tight right now and we haven't found a vet that we trust or are happy with.

What's going on with my dog? Any help or suggestions? Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. Jeep274

Jeep274 Member When?

In my experience with dogs it could be any number of things. Although the description of yellowish fluid does worry me. I would get her to a vet and take a sample of the vomit with you. Is she drinking her normal amount of water? I would definitely stop feeding her normal diet and go with cooked rice and a little boiled chicken or ground beef until you can see the vet, just make sure to boil the chicken or beef to reduce the fat. A bland diet for a week will usually calm an upset stomach, but what you describe sounds like a chronic ailment that needs a vet's attention. Hope this helps.

3. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

When my rottie did that, it was an inflammation of the stomach lining. Vet said he probably ate something (like a bug carapace) that irritated or scratched the his stomach. You need to go to the vet.

Rule of thumb: If a dog is sick more than three days straight, SEE YOUR VET!

4. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

If there is any way at all you can pay for it, even if you use Visa, take that dog to the vet. She should not be puking daily.

5. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

Germanasian,
    I wont tell you what to do, but I will tell you what I would do if it was my dog. No food for 24hours from last puke then go with white rice only, for 3 days and see if it improves. On the third day, if you are seeing improvements then add a small amount of chicken or ground beef to the rice. Boiled is best like Jeeps said.
    The yellow liquid you are seeing is stomach fluid or bile and is normal for a dog with upset stomach.
    btw I am not a vet but have lots of experience with dogs.
    Make sure you identify whatever they got into be it in the yard or house, cause thats what it sounds like from here. Check any area they have had contact with.
    HTH and I hope your kids feel better....

6. Germanasian

Germanasian Word

Thanks for all the help!

I will take her off the kibble and go with the bland diet as suggested. If that doesn't work, then I guess I'll suck it up and take her to the vet.

7. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

G20,
    Good advice as usual but since the dog has already been booting for 2 weeks, wouldn't you recommend a trip to the vet right away?

8. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

;Q Although I'm not crazy about the, 'raw vegetables and lightly cooked meat thing' I'm going to go with foreign matter or parasites in the stomach, too. Any, 'white flecks' or blood in the stool?

That dog needs to see a vet; might even need: a parasite check, blood work, and an x-ray. You have my sympathies; last month I dropped $600.00 on my Pit Bull. Must have worked; after 4 months she finally stopped limping. ;P About 5 years ago when I couldn't afford a $1,200.00 operation for one of my animals that had been hit by a car, I got the vet to agree to monthly payments. Took me almost 8 months to finally pay that bill; but, quite honestly, the animal and I are the best of friends; and I've never regretted it!

By the way, I'm not saying that you do this; but a lot of people do: Dogs aren't, 'garbage cans' for table scraps. Feed your dog this way and you're inviting ill health. Just plain Science Diet supplemented by an occasional piece of COOKED chicken or a can of tuna fish is a better way to go. Remember any dog is, almost, as good as a gun safe. Why have one without the other! ;)

9. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

Hey scowan,
    It is really tough to say over the internet, you know, It could be something that Germanasian has been feeding for the last 2 weeks too.
    The reason I said to wait is mainly because of the low cash factor/ high cost of a visit for an upset stomach. We really can't tell whats going on until the bland diet has had a chance to take effect and calm the lining down a bit.
    Germanasian, also the only veggies they should ever get are carrots, stay away from everything else until you find what triggered this episode.
    The biggest thing I tell you is NO PEOPLE FOOD AT ALL and these kinds of things wont happen. Go with a quality dog food such as Nutro Max or Solid Gold is even better if you have access to it and NOTHING ELSE!!!!
    Again I am not telling anybody what to do but what I do with my dog who means the world to me.

10. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

I'm in the process of switching to Solid Gold Wolf Pup right now. Sheesh, they don't call it Solid Gold for nothing. But with Bison as the main ingredient, I can see why its so expensive.

Vet was trying to push science diet. While the nutritional numbers are there, I just can't believe that the nutrients are that great when the first two indredients are corn and chicken by-products. BTW-by products means "stuff you wouldn't eat if you knew what ti was."

11. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

Nice scowan, great job that food rocks.
    Arc angels post hit as I was still typing mine and I wont start a food war on this guys thread, but sci diet????????
    My dog will eat road kill ( and I am not talking about the freesh kind either) before I feed him that.....;Q :(
    But thats the greatest part of an internet forum if you ask for advice YOU WILL GET IT!!;f

12. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

;a OK, OK! I feed the premium line of Science Diet. It's called, 'Nature's Best'. Every week we buy a large pack of chicken parts and bake them on an oven rack. (In a pinch I'll make a quick snack out of a piece, myself.) Each dog gets a handful of cut-up chicken with a cup of dry kibble everyday. Into each bowl goes two crushed yeast tablets, two broken cod liver oil capsules, 500mg of crushed vitamin C, and a crushed clove of fresh garlic. Our dogs get fed, once a day, at suppertime with a dry biscuit snack in the morning.

These animals get plenty of exercise. I've had the same vet for more than 12 years. He has always told me (Honestly I think.) that I keep two of the most remarkably healthy animals that come into his office. In 1990 my life was saved by one of my dogs; this kind' a changed my whole personal concept of what any animal is actually worth - they're not just for companionship anymore!

(Our veterinarian once confided to me that he tends to, ‘judge’ people not so much by what they tell him, but instead by the reactions and condition of the animals he examines. He said these things always reveal all he needs to know about a customer and are sure indicators of what he called, 'character' in the people he meets. I thought that was an interesting comment into the way one veterinarian sees life in his world!) ;)

PS: I, also, agree that SOME veterinarians are actually lousy medical doctors who’ve found a better way to abuse patients without having to face any of the problems associated with malpractice suits! Like everything else in life; ‘Caveat emptor!’ ;g

13. cashisking

cashisking

Just another opinion...

I love my dogs VERY much, some think TOO much. Human food is perfectly fine for canines. I fed my Boxer a BARF (Bones and Raw Food) Diet for the first year of his life. This diet is 70% raw chicken, bones and all. I dont want to get into a debate about salmonilla or other arguments this diet can cause, Dogs digestive tracts are different than humans, shorter digestion time. But Human food if given properly will not hurt, and in alot of cases of allergies and stomach disorders can help out ALOT.. I speak from experience. Matter of fact the only reason I stopped the diet was the time involved.

A high grade dog food will have real meats listed in the first 2-3 ingredients. Not fillers such as anything "meal" or byproducts.

Rice with chicken is the best bet for a couple of days, unless it does not stop, then to the vets you should go.

14. joker1

joker1

Two things to add to the advice you've recieved:
    1) Don't let the color of the emesis (puke) worry you. The bright yellow color is bile refluxing into the stomache. Not uncommon but a ***** to get out of the carpet!
    2) Has your dog been drinking alot and urinating frequently? This is a sign of kidney failure which can also cause chronic nausea. The rice and boiled chicken diet can also reduce the toxins in the blood of a kidney failure sufferer so go ahead and try it.

Please let us know what's up when you do get your pooch in to see the vet (soon I hope).

15. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

Arc, you knucklehead. As if dog breath ain't bad enough, you give yer fuzzies garlic???? Oy, vey.;P ;f ;f ;e

Kidding, It sounds like you really love your little buddies.;c ;c

16. cashisking

cashisking

If your pooches have gas, try feeding them yogurt. It helps a TON.. A spoonful or two a day works wonders...

17. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

;z That was funny! (Do it again and I’ll come looking for ya.) Actually you’re not that far off. Human food items that are definitely toxic to canines include: Onions! Chocolate! Macadamia nuts! As well as the EXTREMELY TOXIC human medications: Advil (Ibuprofen) and Tylenol (acetaminophen) .

Garlic could be harmful to canines if administered in high doses. The reported benefits of a little fresh garlic in a canine’s diet include: improved general health, resistance to disease, better hair growth, and a glossier coat. It is, also, stated that garlic discourages ticks and fleas from feeding on the animal. (Although I don’t know how.) Both my dogs seem to love the stuff and, if given a choice, will eat from the bowl with the garlic in it.)

You’re right, though; in researching this stuff I’ve discovered that some dogs are allergic to garlic the same way that some humans are. Several sources, also, recommend using fresh garlic as a canine food supplement no more than twice a week. All I can tell you is that this isn’t a new dog food item with us. With only one current exception, (The Dachshund presently sleeping under my chair.) I have always owned dogs that weighed between 65# and 85#. Except for one that died in an accident, they have all lived anywhere from 13 1/2 to almost 16 years of age. The last time I had one, ‘put down’ I was (well, damn it) crying; and the vet said to me; ‘Stop that!’ ‘For a large dog, he’s lived a long long time; you more than did your job!’ This seemed to help. (That dog saved my life.) I’ve got another of his bloodline snoring on the couch behind me as I type this. ;)

18. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

Hey Arc,
    I am not flaming you but why not just use a quality dog food instead of adding all the other stuff in?? Look up Solid Gold in your area. I would be willing to bet that it comes very close to your brand +all the extra stuff and cost would be about the same.
    Oh and btw, the garlic and flea thing is a myth, fleas don't care one way or the other.;f

19. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

Arc,
    Hey, I wasn't being at all serious about the health stuff with garlic. I was just thinking that garlic doggy kisses have to be 100 times stinkier that normal dogbreath kisses.

But yes, I have heard about some of the toxic stuff you mentioned. Here's one my new vet just clued me in on. Grapes and raisins. Can cause liver failure.

By the way, thanks for a well thought out reply to my dopey post!;)

20. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

:) Actually I think you're a pretty cool guy! (Must have been that, 'Oy Vey'!) Anyway if people have to disagree, I honestly believe that humor is better than vinegar every time. Yeah, I forgot about the new flack on raisins. Has me wondering, though? I've been lofting red grapes across the room for my dogs to snatch out of the air for years! Guess I'm going to have to stop doing that now. Nobody who genuinely cares about his dog can be all bad - anyway! ^c