close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Why is it that education doesn't make most people smart?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Narkcop, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Detectorist

Detectorist

I don't think that one can overstate the role good memory has in being successful in the science disciplines. However, persistence, discipline, and practice are also important and can go far in ensuring success.

2. TX OMFS

TX OMFS Right wing nut Lifetime Member

Discerent can't be taught. You have it or you don't. It can be improved or honed with learning. Wisdom can be aquired but is not as valuable without discernment.

A good teacher is wise.

A good doctor is discerning.

3. hpracing007

hpracing007

If you have kids or a close family member you care about with kids, senior year in hs,who could could get a full ride anywhere in the world, and have the talent and drive to succeed.... Where would you recommend they go instead?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  4. SGM_Brown

SGM_Brown

5. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

OK, we all get carried away from time to time. But that's borderline nuts.

6. mgs

mgs Always Carrying Millennium Member

Because most College Professors are pretty dumb and Liberal. I taught part time for 5 years and it was eye opening! I pushed students to take business courses and work for themselves. Little did I know I would be starting my own business years later. That was a good thing!

7. robrides85

robrides85

From someone who actually knows - the classes are the easy part:

http://mudphudadventures.blogspot.com/2007/05/grad-vs-med-smackdown.html

8. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

1. My son is an MS 1 at an excellent medical school equally attuned to the clinical and research. Several of his fellow MS 1s are Ph.D biochemical guys who want the clinical education to dive full into research. They take biochem in the morning and anatomy lab in the afternoon. One of the four in his anatomy group - the four share a table and a cadaver - is one of the bio-chem Ph.D holders. This guy says MS-1 biochem is hard because the pace is so fast. My son says it is difficult because there is a mountain of material and the test questions are derived from the material not directly about the material. That's not memorization.

2. The Ph.D crowd is great at analyzing data and making graphs and conducting studies. The MD has to take some of that and save the non compliant IV drug user. The deal is both have thier place.

9. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

That is not how it works at all. Harvard even makes it clear. You are (and he) are demonstrably wrong.

If you do an MD/PhD program and the MD is from Harvard and the PhD is from MIT.....did Harvard Grant you a PhD? Nope. You wont have a lot of luck getting your transcript unless you know where you earned it. It is an important detail.

You also dont know how the various schools at Harvard (and many universities) work.

Harvard Medical School does not grant PhD's. To make such a claim is similar to saying "Army SEAL" or how the media calls every gun "an assault rifle." Sure, most people dont know, most people dont care, and what is worse, is most people can be persuaded by an emotional argument to disregard the facts. However, the facts are still the facts, no matter how much someone believes otherwise.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  10. tenforme

tenforme

No but its a pretty fundamental building block

11. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

plus David Vitter

12. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE.

Education gives you facts and theories to hopefully better deal with work and life, it does nothing to make you smart.

Sadly a lot of education is motivated by wishful thinking rather than any connection to reality. This can be a hindrance to understanding what is really going on.

13. robrides85

robrides85

"Friend" did a summer rotation in a potential thesis lab and took a basic-research course for MD/PhD students prior to taking any MD courses in the fall. In his first semester, he may have added a PhD course on top of traditional MD classes. Entirely reasonable to assume that he got a taste of PhD research and coursework, subsequently was exposed to MD coursework and ended up choosing the former.

http://www.hms.harvard.edu/md_phd/program/training_sequence.html
    http://www.hms.harvard.edu/md_phd/summer/course.html

14. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

Many of my very good ideas come when my memory is worst... i.e. with a few liters beer....

Actually, my memorization sucks. Yet, I have no issues with being successful at science discipline. As an example, right now I am working on an IPG for a deep brain stimulator. There is no memorization because what I am doing hasnt been done before. Basically, a client asked if it could be done..I said "sure"....had no clue if it could...but its working.....

15. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

smart- "having or showing a quick-witted intelligence."

Genetics and environment both play a part in how "smart" a person may become.

As far as the environmental component, parents and the development of a child through about age 6 have the most profound impact on that. Don't blame colleges, or even high schools or grade schools for not making people "smart".

Plus there are many "smart" people whom you or I may not think to be smart on casual acquaintance or simply because they have different values than we have.

16. 2bgop

2bgop

That's right, I forgot, he did his undergrad at Harvard and was a Rhodes scholar

17. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

Yes and here is the exact quote

How can that mean anything other than someone starting Medical School. According to your one possible loophole, this guy did one summer class that was not medical school and decided Doctors at Harvard were not that intelligent.

Again, the story is not only factually wrong. (HMS doesn't grant PhDs) it also doesn't make a lot of sense as it is told.

18. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

Something that is interesting is that one doesn't necessarily have to study at a university to get a Ph.D.

All that is required is the Ph.D. dissertation if a person finds a professor willing to do so and even more likely if one brings a self-funded research project to the university.

19. sputnik767

sputnik767

Lol, and quite the opposite when the zombies come.

20. sputnik767

sputnik767

You're absolutely right. MS-1 biochem is annoying and it doesn't help that most people can't teach it right. If your son wants advice on study material biochem to understand the underlying concepts (especially the material for Step 1), PM me. There is one excellent source and it helped me score very well on Step 1.