close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Why is it taboo to carry reloads?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by fudd, Feb 18, 2010.

1. fudd

fudd

Please explain.

2. Richard Simmons

Richard Simmons American Icon

It's not. Like everything else it's a choice.

Some folks feel it could be used against you in a court of law after a justified shooting to somehow show you were loading "super special, extra lethal" ammo however, I believe that to date no one has ever been found guilty of a legit shooting because they used reloads.

3. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

You're going to have to wait while everyone makes popcorn and gathers up the beverage of their choice... threads on this topic have, in the past lasted many, many pages and have been blamed for several internet blackouts throughout the east coast.

Do the words 'Pandora's Box' mean anything to ya? :supergrin:

Jack

4. PBKing

PBKing

Taboo is the irrational fear of the unsubstantiated..
    Fits in this context perfectly

5. groundhawg

groundhawg

ive wondered that myself. i have heard people say that you may be more apt to legal punishment if you have to use your weapon in self defense. a lawyer can twist your reloads into absolute mankillers and by using said bullet you intended to kill his plantif.

6. groundhawg

groundhawg

richard and i must have been typing at the same time, its apparent who the winner was.

7. PBKing

PBKing

I keep my loads under max so they are "Less Lethal"...lol

8. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I heard the LNL can't load JHPs? ;)

IGF

9. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

The LNL doesn't need to load JHP's... that's why God invented factory duty ammo... wise ***. :whistling:

HEY, why isn't that penguin drinking Diet Coke... you trying to turn him into a diabetic? I'm calling PETA... where'd I put my phone?

Jack

10. mclaren

mclaren

How hard would it be to prove the ammo was reloaded if the info was not volunteered? I dont think its the first thing they look for.
    I would use new brass, and keep the brands matched between bullet, casing, and primer. Powder too if possible.
    I think if you loaded a super hot FMJ and put holes in like 3 people with one shot, you may be in deep doo doo. As long as the bullet performs similarly enough with factory ammo, it wouldn't be an issue.
    It would have to be proven that it made some measureable, discernable, physical difference that you loaded it. Otherwise it would just be an assult on character, trying to make you lok like a mad scientist that wanted to test out his stuff.

11. Bobshouse

Bobshouse

I just purchased a box of Gold-dot bullets for reloading...great target rounds:whistling:.

You do not go out "planning" to attack anyone. If you happen to need to defend yourself or your family at any given time, it won't matter if you use a table, chair, fire extinguisher, pitchfork, gun, knife, reloads/factory ammo, kung fu, or a sharp stick.

12. Brucev

Brucev

Why is it taboo to carry reloads? Please explain.

I can only speak for myself. I do not know what are the exact specifics regarding the law in a justifiable use of deadly force. I hope that neither myself nor any of my family members are ever involved in such a tragedy. In deciding what pistol to use for SD/HD and what ammunition to use, I talked to local police as well as the county sheriff. They explained why they carried .40 S&W Glock pistols. I choose the G-22 since it was the best size and most powerful pistol that both my wife and I could well use. For ammunition I choose the same round carried by the local police and sheriff's department.

I live in a small town in a county of scattered open country population. Should someone be involved in a incident where they legitimately used deadly force, it is not likely they would find themselves dealing with hostile law enforcement officers or a prosecutor on a vendetta. There would doubtless be questions to answer. But in my area I think one could have confidence that the matter would be handled with integrity. In other areas there might be legitimate concern as to how one might be treated either by a local law enforcement agency or by a county prosecutor.

One other consideration is that in the event one is justified in using deadly force, one will not only have to deal with local law enforcement, one will also very likely have to deal with the family members related to the criminal and possibly community activist. In that case, it would certainly be helpful if, in response to questions as to why one used a particular pistol or ammunition, one could simply respond that the decision was made after consultation with local law enforcement agency. That would certainly make it far more difficult for a vengeful relatives of community activist to pursue any sort of lawsuit by which to victimize a citizen who legitimately used deadly force to defend themselves from a criminal action.

13. Brucev

Brucev

Just a thought... but if one is involved in a use of deadly force, it seems reasonable to expect that all items of evidence including one's pistol and ammunition would be collected by the officer in charge of the investigation. It seems reasonable that one might be requested to provide information as to the load in one's pistol, etc. And it is entirely reasonable to expect that the pistol would be checked and even fired as part of that investigation. It is reasonable to expect that one or several rounds of the ammunition might be broken down.

If in the course of a investigation one were asked questions about the ammunition, etc., it would not be good sense to be less than forthright in responding. At issue would not be if one were a mad scientist. At issue would not be ones character. At issue would be if ones actions were reasonable and within the law.

14. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

Ah it was common place a few decades ago that LEO would contract with a local loader to load for the whole department! I used to know a loader that did this 1950-70's but that was before they got tons of money for a budget and could afford factory ammo! It was also before they went to auto loaders as well! Talking 38's/357 mags here! And of course before the Lawyer's became a problem!

I use only reloads for SD! Now a days everyone is so hung up about using Factory ammo- cause every SD instructor/gun rag article says too! You all just go ahead and spend $30+ for twenty rounds I'll keep shooting my reloads for pennies !!:rofl:

15. jeanjvr

jeanjvr

If you reload your carry rounds really carefully I don't see a problem.

You load to similar specs as factory +P ammo, using components factory loads use.

Here in South Africa we CAN NOT find ANY factory SD ammo. I've given up. A lot of us carry reloads. I only use new factroy brass in carry reloads and take extra care on a single stage press when I load. At least I can function test the bullets using used brass in the cartridges to save some cash - something I imagine can be quite expensive with factory carry ammo. The best I could find was 100 Sierra 115 Grain Sportsmasters out of 4 gunshops!

The Obama gun/ammo rush in the US did a number on the rest of the worlds shooters! I have yet to see a Gold dot, etc up close.

16. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I don't think reloading your ammo is that big of a deal(or at least its never proven to be), but I never underestimate prosecutors and lawyers. Keep in mind how the 10mm became such an issue in the Harold Fish case.. I don't care one way or the other, but I'm probably not gonna be on your jury.

jeanjvr -- Whats the political climate like in SA regarding firearms and self defense? If you were to use a gun in self defense, could you pretty much count on being arrested and have to defend yourself in court? If things look square is it possible you'll walk from the scene?

IGF

17. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

It's not taboo. It's extremely unlikely that a ccw'er would need more bullets than a single magazine, or even to have to use their weapon, but a spare magazine, for semi-autos, is the quickest fix to common malfuntions or stoppages.

18. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

Perform a search on GT....

Read the responses......

Weigh the responses based upon the level person's expertise in the field of firearms, the use of lethal force and the law.....

Persons who are experienced expert witnesses or criminal lawyers are probably the persons you should use to make an informed decision.

I'm assuming you are over 21 years old and are free to make your own mistakes decisions based upon some random person on an internet forum giving advice outside of their area of expertise.

19. GMT

GMT GMT224

Yep I'm already tired.:faint:

20. marchboom

marchboom

Would be interesting for a lawyer to say that you loaded up "killer" .380 ammo and that's why his client died. The fact that it was a head shot is immaterial.

So what message does that send? Defend yourself with a 12 ga. with FACTORY 00 buck rounds. That will be more humane. :supergrin:

There is no certain way to determine the speed the bullet was going when it exited the barrel. You could just say they were loaded down to reduce recoil. Tell them you down load these "defense" loads so they would not kill. :whistling: