Why is it so hard to admit Atheism is a Religion?

Discussion in 'Religious Issues' started by Cavalry Doc, Nov 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IdaReggaeMon

IdaReggaeMon Señor Member

Wow, a cdesign proponentsists!. How original. You'd have made a good witness at the Kitzmiller trial.

This experiment and the analogy to evolution would be appropriate if evolution were a random process, but of course it's not. It's stunning that someone who should have had considerable formal education in biology can be so completely ignorant of it.

Sigh...http://www.youtube.com/v/K_HVrjKcvrU?fs=1&hl=en_US

2. 075vrAHwA

075vrAHwA

Did you read anything that's been posted at all? For someone professing to be so open-minded you're sure doing your best to skate around what you don't want to believe.

3. 075vrAHwA

075vrAHwA

You are correct, sir :wavey:

4. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc MAJ (USA Ret.)

Hey reggae mon, if you'll go back and look, I was not askednwhat evidence I had to present that made me believe that life was intelligently designed, but what evidence made me question whether it was possible that intelligent design is true. I don't know, and neither do you.

But life is suitably complex, as to at least have to consider the possibility. The possibility of evolving workable structures is hard enough, without evolving all of the millions of structures together, that create a mammal.

So, do know for sure whether a god exists? If you are sure, share your proof, or at least admit it is a matter if faith that allows you to believe this way.

5. IdaReggaeMon

IdaReggaeMon Señor Member

If atheism is a "religion",...
    then Not Collecting Stamps is a "hobby".

http://www.youtube.com/nonstampcollector#p/u/3/d0A4_bwCaX0

6. Cavalry Doc

Atheism requires belief in a complex system of accidents and chance, followed by a long period of natural selection to accept current reality without intelligent design.

The piling on and denial of this, is not unlike villagers chasing a heretic out of town with torches. Atheists, at least around here, are not very open minded, and firmly hold to their beliefs, while responding emotionally to any questioning of their religion.

It's all quite typical.

7. Cavalry Doc

Logical fallacy. Not collecting stamps does not give one a particular understanding of the universe and it's origins.

We already covered that one

8. Cavalry Doc

It's odd to see so many people's faith shaken, by asking a few simple questions. Ut makes you wonder ....

9. 075vrAHwA

075vrAHwA

Thousands of years ago, atheism would've required something other than chariots pulling the sun across the sky, something other than the evil eye that caused sickness, etc etc

Answers being complex and not fitting in an easy to digest sound-bite doesn't automatically mean that goddidit.

10. cruz lee

cruz lee

He believes that God does not exist, however, he acknowledges that it is impossible for him to prove this belief.

how do you prove that which does not exist? or presumed guilty until proven innocent...This presumption is seen to stem from the Latin legal principle that ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat (the burden of proof rests on who asserts, not on who denies).:dunno:The proof lies upon him who affirms, not upon him who denies; since, by the nature of things, he who denies a fact cannot produce any proof.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  11. void *

void * Dereference Me!

First, you are asserting a false dichotomy. Even if evolution is wrong, that does not mean that no other natural process could result in us. It would mean that if there were such a process, we don't know what it is.

Second, atheism by itself does not imply belief in particular physical models or posits of the origin of life. It means you don't believe in gods, and that's all it means.

You could, for instance, think that evolutionary science has it all wrong and *still* not believe in gods.

If you want an atheistic religion, go have a look at Buddhism - but the mere fact that someone does not believe in gods no more mandates that they must have faith than the idea that someone's preference for pizza requires that their favorite topping be pepperoni.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  12. 9jeeps

9jeeps rip "Bud"

I held a total drunk Athiest head one time while he was puking his guts out. He Talked to God, plenty!:tongueout::rofl:

13. 075vrAHwA

075vrAHwA

:rofl:

I think its stupid when some atheists get all indignant at the slightest religious expression. I'll still say "bless you" when someone sneezes or "thank god I didn't do that" or whatever. At this point, they're just common expressions and not some statement of faith.

14. void *

void * Dereference Me!

There's a particular atheist I know who I have heard respond quite negatively against hanging out with - gasp - people who self-identify as agnostic in the ternary sense of a single variable with possible values 'atheist, agnostic, theist'.

That just seems silly to me - automatically rejecting people because they believe seems silly to me. It's still a matter of what they do to me.

She's the closest I've ever seen to an actual, in the flesh, strong/gnostic atheist.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  15. 075vrAHwA

075vrAHwA

Yea, thats pretty extreme...The really sad part is that's what most people imagine when they hear someone's an atheist when in reality its such a small percentage. I've still yet to meet any of these militant types in person, thankfully.

16. bel970

bel970

I've seen this type of thread many times.................and it's still funny.

what would we learn if it wasn't out own face we saw in the mirror?

17. bleedingshrimp

bleedingshrimp

Wrong! Completely, incontrovertibly, irrevocably, and factually INCORRECT sir.

a·the·ism

1.the doctrine or belief that there is no god.
    2. disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings.

Atheism in NO way relies on any other beliefs or theories (evolution,humanism). By definition it simply does not require anything other than a lack in belief of god or a disbelief in the existence of a god or gods.

18. Cavalry Doc

I'm not saying god did it. I'm saying that I'm open to the possibility, because quite frankly, none of us know for sure. I just believe that the people that are sure that they know the truth, are only sure through faith, as opposed to proof.

19. Cavalry Doc

That's what I have been trying to point out, atheism is an affirmation, not just a denial. Just ask an atheist "If life was not created through inteligent design, how did it happen, and a slew of affirmations will follow. Agnostics just don't have proof either way, and don't jump into one religion because they believe the others are false or flawed.

20. Cavalry Doc

Notice how the faithful respond emotionally when confronted with inconsistencies within their faith.

Ok, then how do you explain your existence?

Are you really sure there is no god? Have you seen some proof that you could share with me?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.