Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taurus 24-7, HK-45, XD, and Kahr P45 all have good feeling grips and shoot the 45 ACP.

The best Glock could do is the 21-SF which is still too large a grip (as is the M&P 45 -- at least with the default grip panel).

Why does Glock fail where several other companies succeed? I really don't want to get a GAP.

My guess is Glock has higher standards for safety margin than the other companies and don't want to push the limits of material thickness. Either that, or their magazines cannot be made as thin due to the plastic cover.

·
Da Da
7,236 Posts
The grip on the G21 and G30 (both versions) are excellent in my opinion.

For smaller hands, the G36 is very nice too.

I have medium-large hands and I've shot a lot of 45s and the G30 is my favorite by far. (I bought one)

Perfect fit for me.

Even with an AGrip for awhile it was still excellent. (AGrip wore off because of cleaning solvent. No biggie)

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Because they use polymer mags and desire to have high capacity. Polymer can only be made so thin before it is no longer useable. Even the G 36 mag bodies are fairly thick but being a single stack, its not an issue.

XD uses a metal mag which can be thinner but in order to have the same capacity it is longer. Look at the grip on an Service or Tactical XD 45.

If Glock would change to metal mags they could make a grip more the size of the XD.

Also most other 45's with decent grips have either metal mags or less capcity.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The G36 grip would be good if it were as long as a G19 grip. Also the G36 barrel is too short. A 4.25 inch barrel would be nice. But the XD and Taurus have proven that it is possible to have a 10 or 12 shot .45 with a no-compromise grip. Metal mags are much less of an evil than creating a new caliber.

·
Registered
37,305 Posts
All the GLock grips are crap IMO & has little to do with the mags. The XD manages a very comfortable grip as does the BHP & others. It's a Glock, they aren't going to reshape the grip for one caliber.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Glock mags are made of "plastic" and the mags have to be made thicker. The guns with the smaller grips use thin "metal" magazines.

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
Taurus 24-7, HK-45, XD, and Kahr P45 all have good feeling grips and shoot the 45 ACP.
Every time I pick up a Sig I think "Why can't Glock make good grips like this?". It can be done.
for any given mag capacity you can go tall & skinny or short & fat...... to get skinny & short you have to cut down the number of rounds

Taurus 24-7 is 5.5 inches hi, and has a 12+1 capacity

HK-45 5.8 inches, 10+1 capacity

XD-45 5.75 inches, 13+1 capacity

Kahr P45 5.25 inches, 6+1 capacity

Sig 220 5.5 inches, 8+1 capacity

SW MP-45 5.5 inches, 10+1 capacity

SW SW-99 (45 acp) ht=?? 9+1 capacity

G21 5.47 inches, 13+1 capacity

1 - 8 of 8 Posts