Why is ink so damn expensive?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Gun Shark, Aug 28, 2018.

1. Gun Shark

Gun Shark

I just bought ink for my printer and got it from HP. They were less than everyone else at $557.00 and free next business day shipping. While these were the high yield ones, 7K pages for color and 10k pages for black... I love my printer, and wouldn't hesitate to buy another one, but damn it's expensive to fill. Hopefully I'll get my pages worth.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  2. Ramjet38

Ramjet38 Mentally Frozen

Must be corporate industrial size. Need to buy a cheaper one.

3. fx77

fx77 CLM

One of the office network printers is HP and the black produces 11,000 pages consistently and costs 186/cartridge..
    I tried off brand discounted cartridges for the laser color printer for 1/3 the price, but the colors did not always work as well as the black...Quality issues

4. PBCounty

PBCounty

If you've ever worked an ink farm, or even had just basic familiarity with how a decent sized operation worked, you wouldn't be asking that question. My family only has about one generation invested into ink farming, which was about a generation before I came along, but I've heard the stories and visited the property. I hear it's really no different today.

5. ref441

ref441 CLM

Have you tried LD Products? They carry cartridges for a ton of printer brands and models. I choose the refilled HP cartridges they offer. The HP printer recognizes it is a refilled unit, but it will still work. Other brands of cartridges will not work. Cost is typically $14 w/ free shipping over $50.

6. Ofc.JL

Ofc.JL

Because they can! Captive consumerism. We taught the Japanese Capitalism after WWII during rebuild, and they have gone crazy with it.

Example: Try to get a Seiko watch fixed. No one but either Seiko, or a very high end Jewelry Chain w/ an on site real factory certified Seiko Watchsmith can do it, and there are very, very few of them. Too expensive to employ. And the ONLY place to get real Seiko watch parts is Seiko, they will not sell parts to none certified Watchsmiths. They totally control their product beyond absurdity. So you have to ship the watch to Japan most of the time, and repairs cost more then a new watch quite often. And if your Seiko is a "grey" market watch,i.e., not thru a Certified dealer, Seiko won't touch it. So the best way to fix your watch is buy a new one. That's what they want.
    I do not buy Seiko watches just for that reason.

Good luck on your Ink woes. I know of which you speak.

RovinOn and glock1097 like this.
  7. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

Cost high because you need it.
    Like epipens.
    :)

Rinspeed, Valmet and Fred Hansen like this.
  8. selogic

selogic

Well , people NEED it , and price gouging is ok , right ?

9. RichardB

RichardB Matthew 25:31-46

Is it from Canada?:laughing:

AdamRodgers likes this.
  10. Biggsly

Biggsly Good looking deplorable

I have the printer running all day when I am at work. It is a Lexmark and also cost over $500 to change it out. I have to change it about 3-4 times a year.

11. Adjuster

Adjuster

Dang what are you guys printing, money!?

/

12. manfred the wonder d

manfred the wonder d

when my hp get to a certain number of pages ,,, that's it. A chip prevents it from printing anymore. I'll never buy another hp.

glock1097 likes this.
  13. mmcbeat

mmcbeat

Kinda like a razor and razor blades. You can get a killer deal on the razor but the blades - not so much.

14. MrGlock21

MrGlock21

Because octopussies understand the value of their cephalopod ink and know how to negotiate a good price.

AdamRodgers and FullClip like this.
  15. LEO/Dad

LEO/Dad Navy Veteran

Sold printer at cost, making profit on supplies. The sucking in affect. Learned it from the NYC camera stories. Remove items from camera boxes as shipped from mfg, then charge extra for them.

16. Sechott

Sechott

I was watching an educational documentary about ink cartridges. Yeah, I know get a life. Anyway they explained that it can’t dry while sitting for weeks in the cartridge, it has to dry fast that it won’t bleed on the next page, it has the same viscosity in Different humidity and temperatures. In other words lots of technology in ink. My wife bought generic for our printer and it clogged it up after sitting too long.

17. kiole

kiole

It’s not the ink or toner that cost money. It’s the proprietary plastic housing with the proprietary chip in it that locks out 3rd party ink/toner supplies that’s expensive.

Luckily you can find refilled toner and ink cartridges relatively cheap because those Chinese are very good at reverse engineering stuff.

18. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01

Apparently not that good.... Because "off brand" replacement cartridges never have the quality or the same yield as OEM cartridges.

Glockbug likes this.
  19. Dave514

Dave514

Dang, that's over a nickel a page just for the ink.

20. cbetts1

cbetts1

I hate printer ink. Whenever one of my kids has a school project, the printer just happens to be out of ink.

Squib77 likes this.