close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Why is HK viewed as "Civilian unfriendly"?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by MarcoPolo, Jan 24, 2010.

1. MarcoPolo

MarcoPolo

I've heard HK referred to as being "civilian un-friendly". I'm assuming it is due to certain products being available to LE only, but have never really seen it spelled out.

So.. what gives? :dunno:

2. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

I'm not sure how true a lot of this guy's rant is, but it cracks me up and it might explain things better than I could.

3. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

They voluntarily (as opposed to being forced by laws) sell frankensteinized "sporting looking" guns to the US civilian market.

They generally weren't very helpful with civilian customer services.

4. bac1023

bac1023

Its an attitude, really.

However, I'll put up with it because they build some of the best guns in the world, IMO.

5. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Because they apparently do not give a rat's *** about the civilian market and they act like it.

I have a HK P9S 9mm in my spare parts junk box because HK will not sell me a couple parts.
    After them hanging up on me on four long distance calls they told me they have the parts but I would have to order then through a "HK authorized dealer". The only "authorized dealer" I could find will not order from HK because in his words,"They are a pain in the *** to get parts from".

So I'm not a big fan of HK.

6. c5367

c5367 Esq.

HK can stick it in their ear, with their overpriced PC BS.

7. Morgo

Morgo

I had some hassle with HK a few years back which kind of soured their name a bit for me for a while.
    Recently I sent them an email about some magazines that were next to impossible to find else where. They sent me an email back the next day saying they had them and asking how many I wanted. I sent them the money for the mags and they turned up quite quickly.
    I've heard from others as well that HK's customer service has been improving of late.

8. madecov

madecov book em' Danno

I think H&K is a bit overpriced for what they are.

Are they any more reliable than other top manufacturers ? Shouldn't a Beretta that is machined steel or aluminum actually cost more than injection molding ?

Isn't a stamped sheet metal receiver less costly to produce than a forged receiver ?

9. Morris

Morris CLM

H&K was a sizable player in the civilian market in the 80s. They shifted focus and I can attest that in the late 90s, it was certainly LE and .mil focused. Regrettably, customer service on all fronts suffered, which explains Larry's rather accurate and humorous rant. I hope they will improve their customer service relations as well as their civilian sales focus.

10. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne

Because they hate you!

11. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I totally agree. I haven't bought any of the USP type brand new. The last pistol from HK that I bought brand new was the P9S in .45Auto and that was like 20-something years ago. Back then the HK91 were also much cheaper than the FN FAL.

12. sigcalcatrant

sigcalcatrant

A couple of years ago, it was true. For the past year and a half or so, I have read and heard nothing but good things. It's pretty much people repeating what they have read on the internet, with no direct experience.

13. sigcalcatrant

sigcalcatrant

Check out the HKPro forum. They already have.

14. sigcalcatrant

sigcalcatrant

PC? Seriously?

15. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

It is simply their main market and most of their profit comes from Military/LE sales. The firearms they do sell to civilians are outstanding. They make the best plastic pistols money can buy IMO.

16. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

They produce/produced a great product.
    They charged an outrageous fortune for their product.
    Their support for civilians sucked.

If they had provided decent service and made sales to civilians decent, they would be like Rolex's, available to people who want to spend the money.

But their failure to provide service and failure to make products available to normal people shows a problem with their corporation.

So IMHO, they can kiss my harry white *.
    Knight Armament has also rated a kiss my harry white * for their unwillingness to sell to civilians at any price.
    Now it looks like both companies have decided that they want the american publics' cash.

17. c5367

c5367 Esq.

On the long gun side of the house, yes.

The AWB has been dead for years, but still no >10rd mag for the USC? (despite how ridiculously easy and how little R&D it would be) and they're just now getting around to a non-AWB compliant (SL8, anyone?) rifle, that they apparently are doing only as half-hearted attempt to throw us a bone? (and will likely charge double what any other POF AR clone costs, and still allegedly only shipping with 10rd mags) and $50 for a glorified GI AR mag?

Yes sirree bob, they can stick all of that directly in their ear. :supergrin:

18. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne

Really? So they are selling a non sporterized version of the G36 now?

19. G19freak

G19freak

Cause you suck and they hate you.

20. sns3guppy

sns3guppy

I like HK weapons, but HK is arrogant, proud, and expensive. And not all they're cracked up to be.

Last year I had occasion to end up in a cave with a USP, in a lot of sand. The USP was rendered useless. Now, while that could theoretically happen to any firearm, it happened to the USP, and it shouldn't have.

When discussing a problem with a P2000SK at a tradeshow at the HK booth, one of their representatives took time away from sneering at customers to tell me that the problems were caused by my keeping the magazines loaded. He told me that the magazines were never intended to be kept loaded except for a short time period, and that they should be promply unloaded in order to keep from wearing out the springs. I stifled a laugh, and asked if he might be aware that spring swear out not from being compressed, but from cycles of compression and expansion. He wasn't aware, and didn't appear to know what he was talking about.

I'm unimpressed with HK customer service, having called before, and haven't had poor service before. I've had good luck with HK weapons, and I spent today carrying one, in fact. I think kept well lubricated and very clean, they're fine. I don't know about "hell and back," though, because having one's weapon lock up with a little sand isn't really very conducive to getting back from "hell."

For what it's worth I'm happy with my firearms, so long as they're kept in good repair, and clean. I'm unimpressed with the company, or it's hype.