close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Why is FN Five-Seven (pistol) Accuracy so Medicore?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Baron-von-Glock, Feb 4, 2010.

1. I couldn't help myself and I bought an FN Five-Seven pistol because I love the round and the PS90. However, the accuracy of the pistol is surprisingly mediocre to me. Most of the full-size small-bore pistols are quite accurate 1-2" at 25 yards. Heck, most of my combat autos are 3" shooters at 25 yards. The trigger is dreadful, but I have enough experience with controlling bad triggers to compensate (mostly). I've done some digging on the internet and the professional reviewers have these things shooting 3-4.5" at 25 yards from a ransom rest. That seems preposterous to me. Why that inaccurate?

2. bac1023

bac1023

Sounds about as accurate as a Glock. They're usually good for 3 or 4" groups from a ransom at 25 yards.

The FiveseveN is a combat pistol, not a target 22lr.

If you want an accurate combat pistol, get a 1911. :supergrin:

3. BobbyT

BobbyT

I thought it was because the BBs it shoots get blown around by the wind.
    :rofl:

4. Airborne Infantryman

Airborne Infantryman Nuclear Trunk Monkey

Looking at mine, I can definitely see that it could very well be mistaken for an Airsoft gun. :rofl: When coupled with the SS109 AP rounds, it has one hell of a bite, though. Too bad FN can't develop a round for it that isn't underpowered and underperforming. :crying:

5. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Why is it mediocre? It's a mass produced plastic gun that was designed to be manufactured cheaply but sold for princely sum.

6. ronin.45

ronin.45

Every one I ever shot had a terrible trigger. It is a combat gun though so don't expect miracles.

7. bac1023

bac1023

Exactly.

Who buys a plastic combat pistol for stellar accuracy and a great trigger?

HKs are the best in those terms from my experience and tend to stand out from the masses.

8. Airborne Infantryman

Your right about that; of all the guns I have, my USP 45 is the ONLY gun I can consistently put bullets through the same hole, or holes touching each other while shooting at the range. Blew my mind. My wife shoots my USP better than any gun I have as well. :dunno:

9. redstar

redstar Live to shoot

I bought a five seven 3 years ago. I went through 3 boxes of ammo breaking in the gun, then it still shot bad. A gunsmith told my it had to do with the rifling in the barrel. His exact words were followed by "why do you think they gave you 3-20 round clips? They had no intentions of accuracy, but firepower. You would be better off with a shotgun and 1 round of #4 shot."
    I never was able to hold better than a 5 inch group at 7 yards. I sold it 2 weeks later.

10. ROG

ROG

Guns & Ammo got an average group size of 2.4" with SS195 and 1.8" with SS197 at 25 yards. (http://www.gunsandammo.com/content/one-hot-number)

Tactical Life got a max group size of 3" and their smallest group size was 2.25" at 25 yards. (http://www.tactical-life.com/online/exclusives/fnh-usa-five-seven-pistol-57x28mm)

Police Magazine got a max group size of 2" (most were under 1.75") and their smallest group size was 1.27". (http://www.policemag.com/Channel/Weapons/Articles/Print/Story/2008/01/FNH-USA-PS90-CARBINE.aspx)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  11. bac1023

bac1023

A 5" group at 7 yards? That's rough.

12. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

I shot two of them. One was the older model with the absolutely horrible DA style trigger and I did about 5" offhand at 25 yards. The other was the newer style SA trigger and I shot about 3" offhand at 25yds. Not bad really and I'm "good", but I'm not "great". Both guns would have shot better off of a rest no doubt.

The thing that was hard to get over was the flash and blast. It wasn't so much that it was loud as it was long in duration. I was actually surprised at how well it shot. I'd say it was as good or maybe a little better than I do with most service guns. I don't do much better with target type guns because I just don't hold all that well.

I have no use for the 5.7, I'm just pointing out that I thought it was pretty accurate.

13. bac1023

bac1023

That's good shooting.

14. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Thanks. It's good, but not great. There is always a few guys a little better and one or two a lot better. Always the bridesmaid and never the bride. I tried shooting bullseye, but I always threw one or two too many to really have a chance at being truly good at it. We have some guys in my club that just leave you shaking your head as you walk away they are so good.

15. Onmilo

Onmilo

If you ever play the video game "Splinter Cell" you will quickly realize the hero, Sam Fisher, cannot hit anything with his FN FiveSeven pistol either.:supergrin:

16. Airborne Infantryman

Your so right! Sam needs more practice! :rofl:

17. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

My 5.7 holds all the shots in a 2" circle at 25 ft. off hand.
    Could be because it is a two tone?
    :supergrin::supergrin:

18. El_Ron1

El_Ron1 AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

19. bac1023

bac1023

:rofl:

20. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

I'll stay with my 59xx series S&W.