Why is Beano so expensive?

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by Neal, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Neal

Neal Millennium Member

$7-$10 for a little bottle? With a family of five, this is a major food expense. Are there any generic anti-bean gas products out there?

2. The Pontificator

The Pontificator Angry Samoan

If there is one near you, go to a Mexican food market/grocer and look for Epazote, an herb which, when cooked with beans, reduces gas.

It's cheap.

3. The Pontificator

The Pontificator Angry Samoan

Personally, I say fart...and enjoy it! That, and sleep with the windows cracked ;f

4. Trumpet

Trumpet

+1! Why would you NOT want to fart. It's free entertainment.

Rich

5. Neal

Neal Millennium Member

Uh,,,,,embarassment??????

6. Neal

Neal Millennium Member

That's fine for home, if it's warm enough to have the windows open, but what about if you are at work, working in the same room as the lady boss. I don't think she would appreciate that kind of "humor".

Short story: Back in 1975, when I was young, single and adventurous, I went wild boar hunting in Tennesee with a friend. We camped at a lake with campground. One night we had canned baked beans with our supper. We slept in the back of my Chevy pickup with topper, and had the windows cranked open. The beans were still a mistake. This was many years before I ever heard of Beano.

7. Peevee

Peevee

My dad takes a half teaspoon of baking soda.

- Take half a teaspoon of baking soda in half a glass of water to relieve acid indigestion or heartburn.

Note: Baking Soda contains sodium and is not recommended for those on a salt-restricted diet.

I say go ahead and fart thats the way nature intended.

8. Neal

Neal Millennium Member

For the last several years I have been taking Tagamet, or the generic equivalent for heartburn. Recently I saw an infomercial on TV where a guy said taking an antacid for heartburn is wrong. He said if you have heartburn, you stomach needs more acid, not less. He suggested taking a shot of vinegar for heartburn. Well I have tried it at least 6 times since then and every time, the heartburn has stopped as soon as I take the vinegar.

9. Romadoc

Romadoc

Soaking the beans overnight before cooking will also help in removing gas producing elements. This is recommended by many cookbooks.

10. Dandapani

Dandapani

But be sure to throw out the soak water and cook the soaked beans in fresh water.

11. RangerM9

RangerM9

Beano is an enzyme called alpha-galactosidase....at least that is the active ingredient. Our bodies naturally produce it (if by chance you don't produce it, you have a disease called Anderson-Fabry Disease, and it is not fun...I know several people with it...genetic...runs in families...but i digress), but an little extra in the food goes a long way towards digesting a number of gas causing foods (the gas comes from fiber that is indigestible to us, but the bacteria in our guts love it, and produce a ton of gas in the process) So it is not just for beans.

why it is expensive....not so sure...i know that either k-mart or target or something has a store brand that is cheaper...maybe it was wal-mart...don't remember now.

12. Neal

Neal Millennium Member

I'll look for it. Thanks. :)