Why is armor not a popular option/standard?

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by jthuang, Jun 23, 2005.

1. jthuang

jthuang On The Jazz

Is it just me or are there a growing number of motorcycling jackets out there that do not feature armor or are fitted for armor?

Leather and textile provide abrasion resistance but not much in terms of impact resistance. Why would any legitimate motorcycling jacket not have armor at least as an option?

My current jacket is a Vanson Force. I purchased it specifically because it is armor ready; I currently use the Vanson street armor but might upgrade to the GP or CE armor. It's my only jacket (currently) but I'm looking to get another one for warmer weather (hence my thread on the MotoGP Circuit jacket). I'm still doing research but I have been coming across a lot of jackets that don't have armor and it is mind boggling.

Even Vanson has a large number of (leather) jackets that are not armor ready. Look at the Vanson Ace. The blurb says "flat-track race jacket" but what race jacket would NOT be armor ready? ;g Not only that, no zip to pants option either. Vanson's own catalog says their jackets are safety gear first and fashion second. Well???

I'm not trying to pick on Vanson (I am very happy with my Force jacket) but I'm just confused why a premium motorcycle jacket manufacturer would not include a basic safety feature on so many of its products.

Dunno if there's a point to my ranting but it is just puzzling (to me).

2. g29andy

g29andy CLM

I' ve got a Vanson Force also. Great jacket. Nice gun pocket too. However I don't have armor in it right now. My summer mesh jacket is armored though.

3. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

They make what the market bears. And people think that armor is only for the track or spirited canyon rides.

4. jthuang

jthuang On The Jazz

Yeah, I guess that's the case. Just doesn't seem to make sense. ;g

5. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I'm guilty. My leathers have built in back armour but not the spine armour. I guess I'll have to go shop around and see which spine armour I can get that would fit under my jacket. There ain't a lot of room underneath for anything.

6. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter

My street jacket has CE armor. I'm far more comfortable wearing the jacket, even in 110+F degree weater than not wearing it when on the bike.

I think you for many, they have to experience a good hard wreck before they realize how much energy their body is carrying.

When your balled-up on the ground, feeling yourself out, noticing all your broken internal framework, you get a new respect for armored safety gear.

7. jthuang

jthuang On The Jazz

Me too. ;f I just got the street armor for my jacket a few weeks ago. When I was just starting out I didn't have any armor at all. Then again I was a poor student at the time.

8. jthuang

jthuang On The Jazz

Yeah, I guess that's the case. I've never had a high speed dump (only low speed) but I don't care to find out that hard way. ;f

9. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Some of the canyon riders comparing themselves to the bicyclists who also do around 40-50MPH downhill and crash with nothing on by lycra riding clothes and a foam turtle hat.

I tried to explain to the motorcyclists that it's different to crash at 40 or 50 with only yourself and a 20-lbs bike than yourself PLUS a 300-900 lbs motorcycle. Physics isn't a strong suit for most people...

10. glock_19guy1983

glock_19guy1983

Anyone who would go in public wearing those skin tight lycra shorts and top needs to crash;f

11. bdhawk

bdhawk

i reluctantly wear armor. 'river road' mesh with arm, shoulder, elbow, and back armor. why reluctant, you say? it can get hot, very hot. last friday,out on the highway, it was ok. kinda stuffy, but tollorable (sp?). then we got down into a canyon, 'palo duro canyon', a state park. lotsa twisties (a snake would break it's back crawling down those roads), but the speed limit was 15 mph all the way up to a blistering 30mph. i was 'bout to burn down. too slow for enough airflow through the mesh. i finally had to shuck the jacket.
    conversely, it doesn't do much to help when it's cold.

anyway, i wear it most of the time, 'cause it's the right thing to do.

OKAY....call me a sissy.