Why is 300 black so great / popular ??

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by quantico, Jul 20, 2020.

1. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Where the turbines scream, and the door guns gleam
    You are using facts to argue with someone who is not using them to respond.

2. dkf

dkf

His copy/past from Wiki is on point. It brings all the fanboys to the yard.

3. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Im reminded of an Einstein quote about a fish climbing trees.

Have you ever shot anything with a suppressed 45?

Not exactly bastions or ballistic performance.

I know some gentlemen who get ferried around by black helicopters who feel slightly differently. They expressed great use for the an upper that could be changed out from their basic rifles and that delivers better performance with supersonic ammo at urban combat distances, and is quieter sometimes significantly, and more accurate than suppressed pistols for quiet ops (often at night).

You may not have a need for it. And that’s fine.

But I would much rather have a 9-12.5 inch 300 with a can than a suppressed pistol of any flavor.

evlbruce likes this.
  4. dkf

dkf

Yes, I am well aware of the "rainbow" of .45acp, even out of a carbine produces and I agree the .300blk is better at further distances in that aspect. When the bullet hits the target however that subsonic .300blk is on par or even behind .45acp (especially an HP) at certain distances when it comes to wounding. The 220gr .308 bullets just suck at subsonic velocities when it comes to wounding. Most people are not going to use the expensive expanding subsonic bullets designed specifically for .300blk.(like from maker and Lehigh) What bullets are your black helicopter friends using for their .300blk subsonic use?

To be honest I am not sure exactly why I went off only on the subsonic path when his response didn't specify. I suppose I did because you get the quietest performance out of subsonic loads.

I am not saving I don't have a need for it (it could take place of some other cartridges I use more frequently really), I just feel it is overrated. Which apparently triggers the wikipedia "military uses it, its for subsonic suppressed" crowd.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  5. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

You know I’m not sure what weight. Since I’m not about the black helicopter life anymore, I’m not in everyday contact with them. But next time I’m having beers with them I’ll find out.

But I’ll have to disagree about the terminal ballistics of a sub 300, unless you’re only considering the 220 otm. I believe Hornady is the one making and expanding 190 grain, and I primarily shoot the Amax 208, which will tumble from the gel shoots I’ve seen, atleast once.

6. dkf

dkf

If the bullet tumbles yes wounding is better, usually a long .308 bullet don't. They tip the ass end of the bullet some much more often. Like I said some of the .300blk specific expanding bullets like some from Maker and Lehigh are better.

There are gels and ballistic info on the Hornady LE website for the 190gr SubX. I take it those gels are probably within 25yds, they do not specify. Permanent cavity is not too bad, nothing I'd trust for heart shots on deer but it is better than several other offerings. The 300yd velocity they list should still make the bullet expand but 105" of drop is going to hurt, especially with wind thrown in. The drop at 200yds is tons less than 300.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  7. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

And don't forget to change the barrel. There are pictures of 300BLK fired in a 5.56 barrel....

billy_56081 likes this.
  8. SC Tiger

SC Tiger As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

If you DON'T change the barrel, it would explain the concerns on terminal performance......

Sharkey likes this.
  9. GWG19

GWG19

Don’t know about all the hoopla in this thread. I do know that a 300BO suppressed will stop a rampaging Armadillo. Your neighbors will be non the wiser.

faawrenchbndr and billy_56081 like this.
  10. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

My 300BLK uppers mostly sit on the shelf.

billy_56081 likes this.
  11. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

that sucks, it’s an awesome cartridge for what it was created for