Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattl...-of-deadly-shooting-of-suspected-car-prowler/

I guarantee you that certain members of the public would be howling over the improper use of force, or a certain city council member would decry the officers as murderers.

Again, I give serious props to the SPD PIO division as quickly getting this video out blunts criticism and fills a vacuum that would have been filled by rumors and lies.

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Knowing the lefties and the other irrationals, they'll find something to blame LE. They'll say crap like "experts say police lights should be soft pastels, sirens should be of softer tones and police command voices should be greatly toned down to keep fleeing victims of police chases from making decisions which cause police to murder them."

As for BWCs, even though I wasn't for them at first, I've grown to accept them.

·
Mr. Awesome
12,150 Posts
Like everything, they have value and issues. My issue is the lack of privacy. We record the insides of victims and witnesses houses, then give the video to the suspects. It's nuts.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I don't think there is any reasonable expectation of privacy when the police are called into a residence on a domestic violence call or other crime. That doesn't mean the department has to air everyone's dirty laundry on national TV or the internet. I know common sense and decency are largely values of the past, but there still should be some guidelines about what is released for public viewing. The public does not need to see everything such as dead or injured victims.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
I don't think there is any reasonable expectation of privacy when the police are called into a residence on a domestic violence call or other crime. That doesn't mean the department has to air everyone's dirty laundry on national TV or the internet. I know common sense and decency are largely values of the past, but there still should be some guidelines about what is released for public viewing. The public does not need to see everything such as dead or injured victims.
What about the rights of a witness, who also has a messy house?

The problem is the videos of get treated under FIOA type laws as a government record that MUST be released upon request.

Plus, if the powers that be MAKE me wear and use the BWC, those same powers should be showing it in Court, or using it to prosecute false claims against me.

·
Registered
11,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
At least in Washington, we now have the discretion to turn off the camera under articulable reasons and limit video released only to only those associated with the case (no more blanket PDRs).

Reactions: texmex and Ftttu

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
... Again, I give serious props to the SPD PIO division as quickly getting this video out blunts criticism and fills a vacuum that would have been filled by rumors and lies.
We never had BWCs before I retired. But I cannot think of anything that would make me look bad.

Now as a FTO I always told my trainees never do anything that will get you embarrassed on 20/20 or 60 Minutes. :cop:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.