Why I love my job...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by chuckman, Feb 23, 2010.

1. chuckman

chuckman

....so I work in an ED. The other day we had a patient complaining of back pain. Chronic, on and off. So the guy gets triaged and sent to wait (since we didn't have any rooms available). After an hour or two, he is called back to an area with a nurse practitioner (whose job it is to start orders, extra labs, radiology, etc). After the NP examines him and puts in the orders, she sent him back to wait (x-ray will get the patient from the waiting room to shoot films). So, when the NP tells the patient he is going back tot he waiting room, he says:

"I been waiting a long time. Other people have gone back (to rooms). You are just doing this because you are predjudiced. I know I am on Medicare, but I got rights. I know your name...I'm gonna sue, you and XXXXXX hospital. You gonna lose your job."

The NP tried to calm him down, but then the guy said "I'm gonna kick your a**."

Hello, security...he is now trespassed.

This stuff, aside from the threat of violence, makes me laugh. Just a glimpse inside the life of someone on the frontline of emergency medicine (said tongue firmly in cheek).

2. MO Fugga

MO Fugga Malt Liqra® Lifetime Member

Give 'em an enema...:rofl:it might wash out what's stuck up his ***. After all, he came to your facility requesting your help!

3. slaytera666

slaytera666

Sounds like the typical waiting room. I'd be pissed to.

4. farley45

farley45

There are asshats everywhere...and it is sad to see when they try to take their aggression out on those who they think are defenseless. I see it all the time, asshats think that just because someone is on the job they can do and say whatever they want and the person won't do anything about it for fear of losing their job.

There has been many people in my life where I told them that I bet they wouldn't treat me like that if I was not at my job.

5. netmage2112

netmage2112

First question - whats an ED....?

Second - A chronic condition is not appropriate for an Emergency Room - no...? I've been having bouts of back pain the past few months (come to find a slipped disc) - but when it was kicking off and I had to hobble around - off to the Urgent Care I went... 5-10 mins tops...

-Tim

6. chuckman

chuckman

Good question. ED=Emergency Department. Same as ER.

Chronic complaints are a huge amount of our business.

Once we had a drive-up cardiac arrest. A little old lady's husband dies enroute to the hospital. We put him on a stretcher outside, wheel him in, and in the room we want to put him in, is a man who came in for chronic pain. The staff tries to move the guy out, the guy gets pissy because he has to give up his room. To paraphrase that great philosopher Jimmy Buffett says, if it all weren't so crazy we'd all go insane.

7. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

The guy had back pain, go see your frickin' family doc. :steamed:

My daughter fell while playing. Large laceration on her forehead. I sat in a childrens hospital ER for 6 HOURS, holding a rag on my kid's head, because the ER was filled with welfare receiptants getting their kids treated for a cold, or the runs.

8. tbhracing

tbhracing Senior Member

Remember that episode of COPS in Vegas. That rude kid with a cut finger was thrown out after being more rude...It was a good one.

9. Gription

Gription

You should check out ER Tards at http://www.ertards.com/

They have some funny ER stories.

This is one from today. Poor kid, I'd be screaming too.

"I recently saw a patient who is 2 years old, and his aunt, grandma and mom are worried because "his balls are too high, so we keep trying to pull them down, and he screams and vomits, so there must be something wrong." I can tell you what is wrong and it doesn't take a medical degree to figure it out."

10. RenoF250

RenoF250

They need to spend some time in the clink for sexual abuse of a minor. Morons.

11. JBaird22

JBaird22

We routinely end up at the ER with our customers and there are always people out there getting things taken care of that had they went to their primary care Dr. they wouldn't be sucking the life out of the ER. People forget what emergency means anymore.

I heard a story of a woman that called 9-1-1 because she saw on television one of her medications might cause her some sort of adverse side effect.

12. Fiery Red XIII

Fiery Red XIII Adorkable CLM

You can trespass em, even when they are there to recieve care? Here, they're allowed back for care purposes.

Red

13. chuckman

chuckman

Once someone receives a medical screening exam, if it ain't an emergency, then yes, they can be trespassed. If someone who has been trespassed is deemed an emergency, we treat them with a cop present, and if they are discharged they can (but usually not) be arrested at that time.

14. jpa

jpa CLM

I don't believe it. People on public assistance programs are always the highest caliber of patient and would never play the race card or threaten to sue. Obama's gonna fix this! :rofl:

15. Trench Sweeper

Trench Sweeper On the day of your birth death began stalking you

Tagged for the website for my wife

16. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Most people would not believe the **** that goes on there. Having a Medicare recipient call 911 for an ambulance to get a ride to the ED because they need a refill on a daily med is the norm. I've seen them hauled in for meds that are packed like birth control pills where you can tell at a glance how soon you will run out. Hell, I've seen them come in because they have run out of something and just want ONE dose of a med (something like an antidepressant or an antibiotic where missing a single dose is not going to endanger them) until the doctor's office opens in a few hours so they can call.

17. MO Fugga

MO Fugga Malt Liqra® Lifetime Member

That's just pathetic, MrsKitty...:rofl:I would have extreme enough words for that person if it didn't get me fired! At Tampa General, I saw an old heroin addict begging on hands and knees for an oxycontin... outrageous!
    Probably got airlifted by the condition he was in. Damn...

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  18. PicardMD

PicardMD Make It So!!

One of the ER's I used to work at had a taser taped under the triage desk.

One of the ER's I used to work at, most doc's carry guns to work.

One of the Er's I used to work at, we had a guy who logged over 200+ ER visits in a year -- and of course he was uninsured. Always came in complaining of chest pain and gave a textbook story.

Lots of Gomers get treated in the ER....
    GOMER = Get Out of MY ER.