Why I like Wal Mart.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by M2 Carbine, Sep 15, 2019.

1. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

There seems to be a lot of bad mouthing going on lately about Wal Mart.

It seems to me that if Wal Mart was a fraction as bad as some people let on, Wal Mart wouldn't be one of the biggest companies in the world, employing millions of people.

So why do I not dislike Wal Mart.

I hate to shop.
    But since just about everything I shop for is at one place.....Walmart....I can take as little time as possible in town shopping.

Wal Mart's price is about the lowest in town.

The auto gas price IS the lowest in town.

The checkout lines are fast.

The checkout people are friendly. A couple weeks ago, somehow, the check out lady and I got to talking about guns. I invited Her out to my range to learn to shoot. :)

Yesterday I couldn't find something, "Zatarain's Gumbo Mix" (I'm going to make a BIG pot of Gumbo. :) ) so I asked a lady stocking shelves.
    She told me where it was. It was several isles over.
    Then, a minute later she showed up to help me find it.

My Wife and I moved to Texas in the mid 1960's. Some time after that the first Wal Mart opened. Been going there ever since.

I'm sure it's happened but in all those years I can't remember a rude Wal Mart employee.
    I don't tolerate rude people, I get nasty.

Yesterday, along with shopping, I needed to pick up some Prescriptions and wanted to get the (free) Flu and Pneumonia shots.
    Although the lady, that gave me the shot, was right busy, she took some time to research whether I need the Pneumonia shot this year.

A few weeks ago, another lady in the Prescriptions depart spent some time checking on a lower price for several Prescriptions for me.

Still, I hate shopping, but Wal Mart does make it as painless as possible.

TGT, Nestor, ZekerMan and 31 others like this.
  2. Ramjet38

Ramjet38 Mentally Frozen

Oh boy, we're going to have WalMart wars.

[​IMG]

3. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Only if Wal Mart puts me on the payroll as a spokesman. :)

4. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

We really shouldn't have WalMart wars. PetSmart doesn't sell handgun ammo either boys.

So, you say the difference is WalMart did, until just now. Well, WalMart also used to sell the actual handguns that use the handgun ammo. But I haven't see a call for WalMart boycotts over that anytime recently.

Business is business. People who run the business make business decisions. Some backfire. If this one backfires on WalMart, that's their problem and some other business will insinuate itself into the market and take up the slack. Do as you wish as a consumer, but don't try to control or shame the choices others make.

5. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

I have almost the same experiences, but at Publix. No more Wal Mart for me.

JMag, Big House, -JCN- and 1 other person like this.
  6. powernoodle

powernoodle

The salient point is this: when sweet baby Freedom is stolen from us, one Walmart at a time, we can either capitulate or not.

I say not.

The Enemy never comes to you in his naked deformity. He appears as the sweet but married employee who is having marital issues, and comes to you for counsel. He comes as a bottle of booze, or a carton of smokes that destroys your life 30 years later. You never see his true identity until it is too late. And so too it is with vendors who are systematically destroying America. They have awesome prices and service, so you (not me) keep on propping them up until you wake up some day and see that gun ownership has been made unlawful. And then its too late.

You take a stand, or you don't. It looks like you don't.

7. pblanc

pblanc

In some parts of the country, shopping at Walmart is the best option. In others, it may be the only option. I quite understand that.

However, Walmarts vary greatly in the way they are staffed and managed. I have been in Walmarts in more rural areas that are actually run pretty well, which are well-staffed with helpful employees.

If that is the case in your area, consider yourself fortunate. There are three Walmart "Super" stores in my immediate area and I have been to all of them. The service has been bad for years and getting worse. It is the norm in these stores to see shoppers wandering the aisles fruitlessly looking for an employee to help them. There are probably 10-12 check out lanes but at most two are staffed and there are always long lines. When employees can be found they are sometimes friendly or at least civil, but it is not at all uncommon to find rude ones.

If you look at some of the other "Walmart" threads on this forum, you will find that many others have had poor experiences shopping at Walmart. These are not hallucinations that we are having.

8. JHCJR

JHCJR

Sure. Where else am I gonna see this.
    341285A0-C7E0-4C11-B130-F2770DA6CA0A.jpeg

9. Schrag4

Schrag4

I’ll admit it’s handy to get my ammo at the same time that I’m picking up a gallon of milk, but I can drive to another store. Or better yet, order it online. Or even better yet, put it together myself on my press.

SirRonny and WeeWilly like this.
  10. DonD

DonD

You're pretty off the wall if you suggest M2 isn't a strong 2nd A supporter and merely shopping at Walmart doesn't change his creds. Don

MB-G26, Glockbug, WeeWilly and 4 others like this.
  11. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Do a little research on just how big Wal Mart is.

If they wanted to screw with our gun rights, they could REALLY screw with our gun rights, not just stop selling ammo.

jame, SCHADENFREUDE, WeeWilly and 2 others like this.
  12. powernoodle

powernoodle

So the more people do it, the better it must be? I'm not quite sure that the "might makes right" argument is a good one to employ here.

SirRonny, nrajeff and J-Doo like this.
  13. TeaDub

TeaDub

Forget the Walmart stuff. What time is the Gumbo served @M2 Carbine ? :eat:

BTW, I agree with you Buck. Virtue signalling against Walmart has become mainstream for both the right and the left. And yet, they are still doing pretty well at the end of the day.

WeeWilly, KikoMonster and PhotoFeller like this.
  14. Ghost doctor

Ghost doctor N.R.A life member. G.O.A member

If you like your wal mart, then you can keep your anti-gun wal mart. Simple as that.

SirRonny likes this.
  15. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

"I'm guessing I was "taking a stand" for gun rights. long before you were born. :)

16. jmohme

jmohme

I have never liked Walmart but the fact is that when I am working remotely (about 40 weeks out of the year), and need something, I can usually find it at a Walmart, so I put up with the Walmart people, get my stuff, try to pick the least slow line at the two or three open checkout lines, and attempt to zoom out the door before someone asks to see my receipt.

nrajeff likes this.
  17. DonD

DonD

Pretty difficult to beat Walmart's former prices for calibers like 9mm.

Yeah, yeah, someone will pipe up and say he loads 9mm for some really low price only to find that some buddy gives him wheel weights for free (big tire shops like Discount Tire will not give you wheel weights, they recycle them) and he casts his own slugs. Buying your own casting lead makes casting fairly expensive along with needing a melting pot and lube tool to the point that you're above commercial prices, probably even after amortizing the cost of new tools.

By the time you add shipping to online, once again you're at Walmart prices.

Go to Bass Pro and buy FMJs, primers and powder and you're above Walmart prices and that doesn't consider your time.

I reload for .357, 500 Mag and .458 Win Mag and use commercial slugs for all. With THOSE, I save lots of money, particular the 458 and 500. Don

mj9mm likes this.
  18. Wake_jumper

Wake_jumper

It's not Walmart that you like it's the people who work there. You are lucky to have good people where you live. The Walmart that is nearest to me is exactly the opposite of what you describe. The checkouts are slow, always understaffed and the checkers are often surly and act like they are doing me a favor to ring up my purchases. There is never an employee around to help... and if by chance I happen to find one, they, more often than not, act like it is a big imposition to help me.

I hate Walmart.

SirRonny, skeeter1959, GSX42 and 3 others like this.
  19. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Other than 22, I never bought much ammo from Wal Mart, but, because of their price I always told people to get their 9mm from WM. Best price in town.

mj9mm likes this.
  20. LostinTexas

LostinTexas Exploring Alternate Routes

Gumbo DOES NOT come from a mix.
    Dammitman :okie: