close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Why I Like Glocks

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by WL_Ranger, Feb 11, 2012.

1. WL_Ranger

WL_Ranger

Everyone has their favorite pistol, but for me, I prefer the Glock. While my choice doesn’t make it the right choice for everyone, I’ll outline why I choose the Glock.

Glocks are easy to shoot well. First, the manual of arms is simple. Point, aim and pull the trigger = boom. I love 1911’s and own three custom 1911’s. That being said, the manual of arms is more difficult. It can be mastered but with the Glock, that isn’t necessary. As for DA/SA pistols, they can be mastered but again, the level of proficiency acquired will be higher for practice with a Glock than with a Sig DA/SA or a Walthar in DA/SA. DAO pistols (e.g. DAK pistols from Sig or LEM pistols from HK) all require a lot of time to gain proficiency….and the same time spent with a Glock will equate to higher performance with the Glock over the other pistols mentioned. In addition, I find the Glock trigger easy to manipulate for first shot accuracy as well as rapid, and accurate follow-on shot. Second, relatively speaking, Glock’s have a low bore axis compared to the DA/SA pistols described (especially Sigs) although they are rivaled by 1911’s in this regard. As a result, they point easily and lend themselves to better accuracy on follow-on shots.

Glocks are safe. In order of safety, I would rate the DAO Sigs or HK’s superior to the Glock because of their heavier, longer triggers. You must be cautious and focus on safety when holstering any weapon, but especially a Glock. For me, this is a training issue. As for holding someone at gunpoint, a DAO pistol is somewhat safer. You can install the NY1 or NY2 trigger on a Glock and get a heavier trigger pull, but the DAO pistols have the benefit of a long, heavier trigger pull, even with a NY1 or NY2 trigger on a Glock. All that being said, the DAO trigger pistols are less conducive to accuracy in a gunfight (for most) than the DAO pistols. Again, I focus on training to alleviate the safety issues and choose the Glock to make sure I make it to the point where I can hold someone at gunpoint while waiting for law enforcement to arrive. Regarding the 1911, with training, in the gunpoint situation, the 1911 would be the safest pistol (as it would have the manual safety engaged); however, this takes training to ensure that under stress, one keeps the safety engaged or reengages it as appropriate for the situation. Again, balanced against all factors, the Glock wins (for me).

Glocks are a great value. Compared to all the pistols outlined above, the Glock costs less while providing greater performance (IMHO).

Glocks are reliable. 1911’s are finicky compared to the track record of Glocks. Sigs and the other pistols described are rock steady but at 1.5 to 2X the price of the Glock. Despite all the hoopla around the Gen 4 Glocks, Glocks have an earned reputation for reliability and consistency garnered over 25 years of hard service.

Glocks are lightweight and are therefore easier to carry concealed for hours at a time. In a 9mm or .40 S&W configuration, Glocks are just hard to beat. Yes, quality belts and holsters help in this regard, but the same level of belt/holster applied to a Glock creates a combination easier and more comfortable to carry, all the time, every time. Also, you can get almost any quality holster with magazine carriers for the Glock, not so for many other polymer pistols out there. However, for a CCW, Glocks are blocky and how I wish I could get one with a carry melt on the frame like some of they Sig’s, but for mechanical or cost considerations, that hasn’t happened as of yet.

Glocks are easy to maintain and work on. I have a sight tool that I use to swap out sights (as opposed to paying a gunsmith). I have a low cost disassembly tool that I use to easily disassemble and service the entire Glock. My Glocks are also easier to field strip and clean than any other pistol I own.

So after four years of carrying concealed and shooting IDPA, I choose a Glock. They are accurate, reliable, safe and affordable (I own several). I love my 1911’s but when it comes to protecting my family and me (home and CCW), I choose the Glock. As for other Safe Action polymer pistols (e.g. S&W, Ruger, Springfield), they seem to be fine copies of the Glock. I haven’t owned or shot one, but I also haven’t seen enough of a difference to justify adding them to my collection. In the end, to each his own.

2. INEEDMILK

INEEDMILK

3. tonyparson

tonyparson

I agree with you I love my Glocks. I've bought XD, M&P, Kimber, and a lot more differnt handguns but I always end up selling them and buying a Glock. Now days my wife wont even let me buy any other handguns but Glock. She says every time I do I end up selling it and losing money just so I can buy a Glock..:supergrin:

4. nelsone

nelsone rank amateur

You and a bazillion other guys have reached the same conclusion about Glock. Me too.

5. madmike3668

madmike3668

Glocks are the simplest most reliable tools for the job..

6. mainegunner

mainegunner

Exactly what tony said

7. mymini40

mymini40

perfect description!!!!!

8. Taphius

Taphius

I'm finding the same to be true with me. I have my cz, 1911, bersa and Sig but keep preferring my g23 over them all when I have my range days. Simple, clean trigger and fits my hand well.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk

9. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Generally agree with the OP, except on 4 points.

1. Would someone really flip the safety back on a 1911 while holding a bad guy at gunpoint?

2. The fact that Glock makes nothing as small as a PM9 or LCP really opens up the door for other brands to be favored.

3. The AD upon holstering is a real concern we agree, but may be enough to swing many toward preferring an external thumb safety or grip safety. Although Glock does offer the option of either be really careful or use one of their heavier trigger configurations.

4. The G4 thing has been a huge debacle and has brought Glock down to the ranks of mere mortal. Hard to suggest to someone nowadays to "just go get a Glock" if they want relability.

:)

10. hsprincipal

hsprincipal

I was late to the Glock bandwagon, but I agree they are great firearms. I carry them daily and they will not be sold.

11. LazyAce

LazyAce

I am a mechanic by trade and like the simple things. With a Glock I can do anything I want to it and buy about anything I want to modify it if I feel the urge. Almost anyone can run one with no problems. There are a few out there that can`t even shoot a slingshot but still think that they know everything about what gun is best. To each his own--For me it`s a Glock

12. DannyII

DannyII

Agreed.

I like my Glocks for these reasons:

1. Great stock accuracy for SD or SD-type competitions.
    2. Easy to understand the functioning without a degree in engineering.
    3. Simply Maintenance/cleaning.
    4. One tool to detail strip.
    5. Parts interchangeability.
    6. Magazine compatability of the smaller models.
    7. Plethora of aftermarket parts, holsters, etc.
    8. One holster fits many Glocks
    9. Boring reliability.
    10. Low cost.
    11. Durability of parts and finish.
    12. GSSF is great fun!
    13. GSSF armorers will inspect your Glocks, and replace any needed parts- for FREE!
    14. The Glocktalk community!

I can't think of another manufacturer that does as much as Glock to make sure their customers are satisfied.

I see no need for any other handgun for me. :wavey:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  13. tinman517

tinman517

As compared to my other handguns, my Glock are neither the fanciest nor the greatest to look at. However, I trust blindly over every other PISTOL, which I own.

14. farscott

farscott

Why I like Glocks:

1) Gen 1 through Gen 3 9x19 guns are very reliable in extreme weather conditions. Just shot my Gen 2 G17 in the lovely 15 degree F winter weather with no issues.
    2) Can find guns, parts, and magazines at reasonable prices almost anywhere.
    3) Very easy to detail strip and maintain due to design and metal treatments. No need for lots of specialized tools, something that I need for my other love, the 1911.
    4) Ready-to-go out of the box if equipped with any sights other than the plastic ones from Austria.
    5) Consistent trigger pull and action from first shot to last.
    6) No manual safety or decocker. Makes for better weak-hand-only and strong-hand-only shooting.
    7) No sharp edges and are very holster friendly.
    8) Popular so that quality accessories are made and services provided.
    9) High-capacity, especially for the grip size.
    10) Great support from the manufacturer.

15. Bruce M

Bruce M

I am vaguely curious as to where there is training for holding someone at gunpoint until law enforcement arrives...

I do agree that Glocks are one of the better values out there.

16. WL_Ranger

WL_Ranger

Didn't mean to imply specific training in this area. Just to imply that good training under stress can help improve a person's reaction so he or she would remember to apply the safety on a 1911 in that situation. As Mas Ayoob's research has shown, fingers under stress seem to seek the comfort of the trigger. Unless the weapon was at low ready and not pointed at an assailant, a negligent discharge with a 1911 is more likely with fatal consequences than with a Glock assuming the Glock has a heavier trigger (likely). While not a substitute for the "real thing", IDPA is a good training tool as being on the clock induces stress while requiring safe pistol handling. Stress can induce some less than optimal actions...reference the video of the police woman holding a person at gunpoint while her partner cuffed the assailant. Believe she had a Beretta and discharged the weapon into the pavement beside his head. Scared all of them to death (pun intended). Probably some drawers had to be changed after that ND.

17. Beretta92guy

Beretta92guy

for me my Beretta 92fs and Glocks are both tied for first place....

its like trying to pick which kid of yours is your favorite....

for CCW my Glock 23 or 26 wins hands-down......

for sheer "beauty" and smooth-action the Beretta is the winner......

with quality guns, pick one or the other and be happy :)

18. DRAGON1970

DRAGON1970

I like my M&P AND my Glocks for these reasons:

1. Great stock accuracy for SD or SD-type competitions.
    2. Easy to understand the functioning without a degree in engineering.
    3. Simply Maintenance/cleaning.
    4. One tool to detail strip.
    5. Parts interchangeability.
    6. Magazine compatability of the smaller models.
    7. Plethora of aftermarket parts, holsters, etc.
    8. One holster fits many Glocks
    9. Boring reliability.
    10. Low cost.
    11. Durability of parts and finish.

19. RedRyder21

RedRyder21

The major winning point for me is simple durability and low cost of replacement parts all of which I can replace myself.

Show me another handgun with cheap factory replacement parts all of which can be replaced by hand or a with a 3/32 punch.

For just a few bucks you can stock up on a set of replacement pin, springs, and even a trigger for your glock handgun!

I do appreciate a fine old revolver or a custom made 1911. But, I love the Glock for everyday carrying on my hip!

20. ChaneRZ

ChaneRZ

Glock is like my AK, very reliable and easy to maintain.