close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Why I Hate Smartphones

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by JuneyBooney, Dec 31, 2012.

1. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

They look stupid and they are not so smart. I have been trying a smart phone for a couple of days and for making phone calls the smart phone sucks. If you place a call and try to do data entry and the phone screen goes off you can't get the keys entered properly and then the phone starts vibrating and acting possessed. Then the call disappears or the person can't hear you. :steamed: So then you have to switch to a flip phone to make the call. I see smart phones as good for texting which I don't do and nothing else other than getting football scores. :rofl:But as far as making phone calls and making bill payments they are lousy. Maybe a video of smart phones being run over by a car would be good. :supergrin:

2. captainstormy

captainstormy

Isn't this the second anti smart phone rant you've done?

If it's that big of a problem. Buy one of those jitterbug phones they advertise on TV and be done with it.

They really aren't that hard to use. My mother bought a smart phone this year and uses it just fine. She still has a problem working her Direct TV box so it isn't like she is a tech guru.

3. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

The key to successfully utilizing any piece of equipment is being smarter than said equipment. Sounds like you might need to work on that.

4. caraker0341

caraker0341

The phone isn't supposed to be the smart part....
    You may have an issue called PEBTAC(Problem exists between touchpad and chair).

5. dango

dango

A smart phone in the hands of a stupid man would make it a stupid phone...! Yes , I do mean me...! :supergrin:

6. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

Try talking on one. Why does the screen go dark so quickly? I guess that they are set up to make data transfers and not voice calls where you have to punch in numbers during the calls. Just a pain in the butt but knowing my luck the phone is defective. :whistling:

7. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

I was smarter than the phone..I switched and made the transactions on my flip phone. :supergrin: Solved the problem quickly.

8. Dan_ntx

Dan_ntx

It's all in the settings... Personalize them to work for you and how you will use the device, don't just leave everything at the default setting.

Make a list of the individual quirks that don't work for you and change settings to counteract them one by one. It took me 45 min to get my mom's smartphone set up for the way she uses it (and believe me there is no more tech averse person alive) and she is as happy as she can be. I lengthened the amount of time the screen stays lit before turning off to save power, I made sure it would never ask her to join a wifi network ever again (it scared her), and I made it display a phone keypad when she took it for her ear and looked at it in the middle of a call...

Not hard to do, but it makes the use of the phone much easier for her.

The fact that it displays a picture of who is calling while it rings is still magic...
    And texting is stilla little scary, but she is getting there.

Go to the phone store and ask, or find a 14 year old relative and they will make it work the way you want it to. Maybe that ca be your resolution for 2013.

9. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

:rofl:I don't think we are stupid..just not flexible. I hate change and the phone foes bonkers when I try and make bill payments using the keypad portions. We are all supposed to do texts so the NSA can spy on us. :whistling:

10. KennyFSU

KennyFSU

There's a light sensor on my phone that dims the screen when I hold it to my face. This prevents my cheek from accidentally pressing any numbers or buttons (it is a touch screen afterall). As soon as I take the phone off of my face, the screen magically brightens and appears (pretty smart, right?)

The second idea behind that feature is that it saves your battery life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

You sound like the typical person that is clueless about smart phones. I know, I used to be one.

Trying to use one annoyed the hell out of me. Then when I finally got one and learned how to use it I wouldn't go back to a dumb phone for anything.

12. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

Good ideas. I don't text so that is one thing I don't have to worry about. The speaker works well but that dumb screen drives me nuts. :rofl:Trying to make a transaction and it goes dark then I have to hit the button on the side to get the light back on....:wow: The I lost the rep and I could not purchase the gun. Had to call back again and that took time. :faint:I don't mind tech but aggravation drives me away. Thanks for the tips. :supergrin:

13. Baba Louie

Baba Louie

Talking?!?! on a Smart Phone?!?! That's so... so, 20th century man, like vinyl or 8traks or cassettes.

Myself, I agree with Garth, "We fear change."

Darn phone, grumble, itty bitty keypad... sanafrazzin tiny farcking text.

My kids said I HAD TO HAVE ONE. Flipphone is soo, old fashioned. No one talks now Dad. We T E X T. grumble kidztoday grrrr anyoneunder 50,, grumble :wavey:

14. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

:rofl:I thought the news etc was cool and then I tried today using it to make business calls...it has been a bad day for that dumb smart phone. It started going off and on for no reason. :wow: But what do you expect..it is "smart" and annoys Americans. Phones should be designed for men..we don't read directions and want it to work "NOW". :supergrin:

15. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

The people I work with "talk" and don't text much at all. I will try this phone for a while and because they gave it to me for being a nice guy I will try it but the flip phones on my personal account are much easier to use.

The kids may text but I talk. I know what you are talking about exactly. My nieces tell me the same stuff. :rofl:

16. dango

dango

Fear ? I fear nothing ! I just lack the Bill Gates DNA Thing !

I need to high-jack a kid or something.....!

17. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

The problem I am having is that the screen goes off and I lose the keypad to make automated transactions and then by the time I got back to the screen the call was gone. JUst a pain in the butt. I guess I will have to play with the phone and make it suitable for my usage. Some of the stuff is annoying as hell.

I know the carriers like the smartphones because of data usage and the money it makes them. But I don't see "tech"..I see annoyance. :wavey: Kind of like walking the dog and some ahole has his dumb headphones on his smartphone and can't hear the truck coming...and gets hit. :faint:I guess I will get used to this thing at some point.

18. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

I can work the thing..I just don't like it...:rofl:Of course I hate Windows 8 too. :embarassed:

19. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

It sounds more like the smart phones hate YOU.

:rofl::rofl:

20. Cybercowboy

Cybercowboy Support the 2nd

JuneyBooney, you're still using Word Perfect. Perhaps smart phones aren't your thing.