close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Why I don't come here anymore

Discussion in 'Announcements & Support' started by musher, Feb 6, 2004.

1. musher

musher

I admit I'm a real lurker by nature, but I've really enjoyed GlockTalk while I've been here. It's by far my favorite forum. But the additon of the activeX stuff (FLASH) has moved me on. I'll be over at the High Road or at FAL files.

The security issues of allowing flash to run on every page have pushed me on.

I figured Eric would appreciate knowing why I moved on (market research and all...).

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

musher.

2. Eric

Eric Big Giant Head Staff Member Admin Silver Member

musher, I'm not sure what security risk you think is being incurred. There is <b><u><font color="red" size="+1">NO</font></u></b> security risk whatsoever to any user on my site from the use of a Flash animation. Some Active X controls can be used for malicious purposes, but they CANNOT be used or exploited by a third party to do anything. Unless you think that I am personally doing something untoward, then I can assure you that me running a vetcor-graphics animation on my site poses no threat to you or anyone else. That is a fact.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. I do IT for a living and I think I am fairly knowledgeable about my craft. I am well aware of the issues concerning the security risks associated with Active X controls. I am also aware of the massive amount of misinformation out there, on this subject. I have troubled myself to learn about the technologies I use. I WOULD NOT use any technology on this site that posed any danger to any user on this site.

I used to hear the same kinds of things about cookies, that I am hearing now about Active X. What this argument comes down to is this: There is zero chance of any security risk to anyone here, from me using Flash technology, unless I abuse that technology. It is a simple matter of trust. You either trust me or you don't. I think the years I have put into this site ought to bank me some credibility, but if you are still unconvinced, I am sorry. I don't know what else to say. Eric

3. MB-G26

MB-G26 Non-existent STUPID GURL Lifetime Member

I'm only sticking my nose in here because I do grow weary of contantly closing ActiveX notification boxes, and just want to point something out. Eric, I don't think that the problem is with GT users being in any way suspicious or non-trusting of *YOU* regarding Flash and ActiveX. It is Flash and ActiveX that people do not trust.

With Flash, once it is installed on a machine, it is installed on that machine and can be exploited by ANY website a person visits. Plus, it becomes yet another darn application to have to keep updated w/patches, aware of vulnerabilities for, and to upgrade to new versions - along w/whatever is in the EULA for each version.

With ActiveX, the only way to enable it ONLY for GT would be to hack IE to create another Internet "Zone" - and have GT and GT *only* placed in that zone, w/ActiveX enabled ONLY for that zone. Otherwise, one must manually change the IE setting to allow ActiveX when they come to GT, and also remember to change them *back* when leaving GT. As with Flash, or any other application, there is also the matter of keeping updated with patches, and aware of ever-increasing vulnerabilities & exploits.

I wouldn't begin to compare your IT knowledge and qualifications with what little I know, Eric, truly. Yet, I have done a lot of research regarding ActiveX and vulnerabilities (literally pages and pages and pages)- and I have yet to read anything that gives me the slightest bit of confidence in it. I do not want it enabled on my machine, I do not want to be exposed to the vulnerabilities and exploits that it is misused in, and this has nothing to do with trusting YOU or GT. It has only to do with my need to keep my machine as secure as reasonably possible.

Even though M$ has decided to extend "support" for Win98 recently, it's not likely to do so again. I, for one, don't have a machine that can run XP, or the other, newer & supported Windows OSs, even if I wanted it to. (And I honestly have no desire to move up to XP, etc., want nothing to do w/M$'s "product activation" and the rest of the down sides to the newer OSs, nor do I have the money to run out and buy a newer machine which is powerful enough to run them.)

I wish there were some way to separate out the automatic assumption that - those of us who do not want ActiveX enabled for security reasons have any distrust of YOU. It's NOT YOU we distrust, Eric, it's darned M$ and ActiveX. Just as there is a set of rules for members to follow on GT which you have in place because you deem them appropriate, some computer users have operational, security-oriented 'rules' in place for their computers which they deem appropriate.

Please don't automatically assume that GT members who implement certain security measures for protection of their own machine and their data, do so because they somehow do not trust YOU or GT. The two are not automatially connected.

Thanks for your consideration.
    m

4. kidbuck

kidbuck Flashaholic

There's nothing more attractive than an intelligent woman!
    Now, if you also a Glock owner.......MARRY ME??? ;f

5. ColoradoPacker

ColoradoPacker What's a Glock?

...are usually already married... Down boy :)

6. kidbuck

kidbuck Flashaholic

7. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

She is very attractive .... you sir are correct on that note... plus she is intelligent on many areas of life.... as for her potential ownership of a glock ???or any other status.... you will need to ask her...

8. MB-G26

MB-G26 Non-existent STUPID GURL Lifetime Member

You guys, you are going to embarrass me here if you keep hijacking this techy thread with your praise ;a

For the record, yes, a Glock owner (thus the user name), no to married (anymore or ever again ;b )
    And honestly - these are the 2nd and 3rd lavish compliments I've gotten today (a day which has been very long and tiring) and I thank you for the boost! I truly needed exactly that!

We will now return this thread to its regularly-scheduled complaint posts..... ;f
    m