close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Why I buy guns online

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by stiletto raggio, Nov 5, 2004.

1. stiletto raggio

stiletto raggio

Besides the fact that gun shops are usually overpriced and I am far more knowledgeable than the large majority of shop owners I have met, I am sick of never getting treated like a real buyer.

When I go into a gun shop, I am often treated like a kid. I'm 22 and I have money, but these guys seem to think I am a waste of time. They'll begrudgingly let me see what I want, but they never really make a point of helping me. Either that, or they'll think I'm a sucker and try to talk to me like they are telling me "what's up."

When I buy online, nobody knows how old I am, all they know if that I have money and make my payment immediately. I get treated like I ought to be because of my record online, not because of my age. I have one FFL at home who helps me out, and I ship all my stuff to him. I don't bother with most of the other guys.

Anyone else sick of getting talked down to in gun stores?

2. Aphotic

Aphotic happy-go-lucky

I have an FFL who hooks me up with a cost + 5% deal. Very good prices on all the firearms I've purchased.

As far as age goes, I haven't had much problem at gun stores or shows, but then again I dress for success and look a few years older than I actually am. (I'm 20 and I've never been carded for ammo or for going into bars or anything...)

The biggest problem I have is that the largest firearm store in the are has a very high-pressure sales staff. As soon as you even glance at a firearm, the phrase, "Taking that one home today?" is uttered in your direction. When I DO buy from the store, I tend to only buy from one or two of the salesmen who are friendly, informative and unintrusive. As long as they give me info and a price to work with, and not a bunch of opinionated BS, I'll buy from 'em.

3. ClearDark

ClearDark

Im only 18, however, my area is small, and its very hard to win competetion. The 2 dealers in the area are complete *******s, but I can deal with one better than the other because he always gives me deals. Dont seem to have any problems.

4. TomSplasky

TomSplasky Encase Elegance

I'm 15 and I got kicked out of Woodland's Edge in Delmont on RT22 (Pennsylvania).

Don't go there!

And if the owner of that store is reading this... You've missed the following sales:

Glock 17
    Bushmaster XM15
    Kimber TLE

5. MR. Fantastic

MR. Fantastic

It has been my experience that gun dealers are full of crap and very opinionated. I had one guy in his mid 20s tell me he had over 100,000 rounds through his glock (22 or 23 I can't remember). A ridiculous exageration like that he might as well have told me he had 10,000,000 rounds through it. Now I'm not saying it's impossibe but this guy was young. I could understand if he was over 50 and it was a rimfire or something.

BTW this was a few months ago at the world famous Scottsdale Gun Club which is featured in this months Guns & Ammo.

I have found the members of GT are much more knowledgeable and reliable.

Some dealers are downright shisters.

6. CaliTheKid

CaliTheKid

I try and do face to face private party transfers whenever I can. Price is usually best and the transfer is 35 bucks no tax. Also here in Cali we have this bogus one new hand gun per 30 day law but if its a PPT you can buy as many as you want. Added bonus is I have met a bunch of very cool gun people this way and have a few range buddies as a result. Met most of them from right here at Glock Talk!I mostly use the Internet for a "special orders" that I probably won't find elsewhere. Most of the gunstores around me have gun store 'tude and are very over priced. I'm 27 but I look 21 so a lot of times I do get looked over which can get annoying since I am a prolific customer. I made it a point to forge a relationship with one salesman at a reasonably priced store that was very cool from the first time he helped me. I make it a point to deal only with him thus he knows me and always takes time to come right over and see what I need. He's made a lot of good commissions as a result.

I just wanted to add that it's annoying in so much as I really do want to support my local stores instead of buying online but most of them just make it so darn hard to do so.

7. glockguy1947

glockguy1947

We all have problems with age. A gun store clerk about my own age (you can figure it out by my GT user name) once commented "a man your age still playing with guns".

[​IMG]

OLD FAITHFUL

Bruce

8. GlockHoshang

GlockHoshang

I wouldve kicked you to...a little kid doesnt have any business in a gunstore.

9. Cryptoboy

Cryptoboy Sr. Sr. Member!

100k rounds isn't that unrealistic. That's less than 1000 rounds a month, which can be done quite easily (especially if you get the ammo for cheap!) What if the guy was former military?

That said, I agree with you regarding most dealers. There are only a few I trust, and one happens to be my aunt who owns a gun shop in Mesa!

As for you TomSplasky, how did the dealer miss out on the sale of 3 guns to you? It's not like you could buy them yourself for another 6 years!

10. lastevolution

lastevolution "Senior" Member

I'm pretty sure Tom picked them out and his parents purchased them.

11. Roddy

Roddy

Man that bugs me.

12. stiletto raggio

stiletto raggio

I have been looking for a nice watch for graduation, and I went into a Movado store in Chicago and asked if they ahd a particular model. The lady at the counter didn't even know such a model existed unil I found it in her case, and when, after looking at it, my dad and I started to head out, she said "Don't you want to buy it? We have the model you want!"

First, I can get that model for several hundred dollars less through other sources. Second, if I am going to pay a premium, it is going to be for good customer assistance, knowledge of a product and excellent service, things neither of the make-up caked windbags working that day demonstrated or cared to assure me of.

Change the product, and that is the treatment I get in some gun stores. Thing is, I doubt she would have shown me the watch if my dad hadn't been there... not a lot of 22 year olds are in teh market for a 2k watch.

13. Cryptoboy

Cryptoboy Sr. Sr. Member!

Hey stiletto, if you are looking for a nice watch for graduation, get a Breitling, not a pimpin Movado! :)

J/K, Movado's are pretty nice watches, but you just can't beat the quality of a Breitling. My dad ended up giving me his Rolex after he bought a Breitling, said the Rolex wasn't a very accurate timepiece! ;G

14. DanV1317

DanV1317 GlockMeBeutiful

I'm 20, and there is this one gun store where a leo works and owns, and whenever i walk in he tries to blaitently rip me off on guns. He tried to sell me a beat to hell g17 for over 500$. He thinks i'm young and stupid and i just look at him and say hm......what else you got? sometimes i just ask him prices on stuff and pretend i'm interested just to see what kind of prices he will give me. He is a moron, i just want to hit him in the face. Other guys are cool and treat me with respect. A couple shops i know more than the guys who work there + own it.