close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Why haven't I heard about this Phase 3 Malfunction thing?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by BigFelipe, Feb 4, 2010.

1. BigFelipe

BigFelipe BeenQuietTilNow

I came across this link on another forum.

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/phase3.html

I've never heard of this and don't understand what the issue is. Why couldn't you clear by pulling the slide back?

I have a gen II for about 10 years with 20k+ through it. Never had an issue. Now that doesn't mean much; certainly doesn't mean this isn't true, just that I'm lucky.

Anyone have more insight into this? Maybe a serial number run that I can check?

2. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

My G20 did that one time. The other 200 or so times the gun has jammed, it was a different kind of jam.

3. Apprentice

Apprentice

GT had a massive thread on this years ago when NYPD had all the problems. I read a lot of technically savvy explanations here and FWIW, the price you're paying for it, IMO it was strongly correlated to the NYPD combo of the 8lb connector with NY2 spring.
    But I can't be sure and I have never much cared. All 3 of my stock spring G19s have been extremely reliable.

4. SCC

SCC just me

that is very old ... at the end of the 2 gen glocks
    they also put a very small bevel at the front of the barrel of the 19's

5. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

I ASSume that fixed the issue? I have always thought about a 19 to add to my collection.

6. BigFelipe

anyone know the serial numbers affected?

7. SIGShooter

SIGShooter Hucklebucks

That was like 14 years ago everyone.

Read the link the OP included in his post. If Glock hasn't fixed a problem like this in 14 years, they wouldn't be in business still.

8. bbvk05

bbvk05 Señor Member

I think it is fixed but they could certainly still be in business without fixing it. Just look at smith and wesson.

9. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

In keeping with the times newer Glocks are in the phase 6 and 7 malfunction range. Read the rest of the sight and you will be terrified to shoot a 40 caliber Glock without bomb technician protective gear on. Not that Speir has a vendetta against Gaston or anything, he is a Life Member of GSSF and Michael Moore is a Life Member of the NRA.

10. TEX

TEX Millennium Member

I would suspect that if an ammo change cured the problem, then it may have been underpowered ammo that was not forcing the case rim back far enough to hit the ejector with authority or that the case rim was really fat.

I don't understadn why pressing the front of the slide into something solid and then smacking the grip from behind or leaning into it, would not dislodge the spent casing.

Anyone?

11. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

Dean is right about one thing.
    Glock has been slow or refused to acknowledge problems.
    :whistling::supergrin:

12. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

All current G 19's have geometry changes in the barrel hoods, slides, and the design of the extractors which were instituted as a direct result of the NYPD phase 3 malfunction issue. Current models do not have a record of experiencing this type of problem.

The article was published in 2002 and at this point is useful for historic information unless you own a model 19 produced between 1994 and 2002 which is experiencing that issue.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  13. Doug S

Doug S

From what I remember, Glock never admitted to, or could find a problem. They may have tweeked a few things, but this is the reason I've never bought a G19.

14. JoeCitizen

JoeCitizen

What?!?!! 12 follow up posts and no mention of "limp wristing"?!? Oh wait....what's that I hear? The thundering hoof beat of the "Must Be Limp Wristing" Gang riding to the scene?

15. BigFelipe

I know this is old guys. The only reason I ask is I carry a gen2 19. I've been a Glock guy for a solid decade now and have never heard of this issue before. My carry 19 was made in 1991; so, I guess it's moot for me if they were made from '94-'02. I don't have any guns in that range.

It seems from the pic in the link you could simply pull the slide back til the shell hit the ejector. I don't see how it could really be "stuck". Any insight into this? Looks like much ado about nothing to me, especially if they were using a non-standard, light load. Am I missing something? What renders the gun inoperable/unclearable here?

16. hoffy

hoffy

when he Glocks first got finger grooves. Was at a range and a guy knew I worked at a gun shop and showed it too me. I think I pried it out with a key on my key chain(used to keep one on there just to abuse like this) Just goes to show anything can fail. Worst lock up I ever saw on a pistol was a Ruger P-85 or P-89 when a guy put the recoil spring guide in backwards. It has been nearly 20 years, but i think the guy hammered it into battery and fired it and slide locked partially open. We had to beat it open with a rawhide hammer and the spring and rod were toast. The guy wasn't the brightest bulb on the tree and the instructions mentioned how to orient the rod during field stripping and he did field strip it at the range to show his buddy how easy it was:rofl:

17. JoeCitizen

JoeCitizen

Yes, this came up quite some time ago. Nothing wrong with you bringing it up again. That should be one of the good things about a site shared by fellow enthusiasts.
    One thing I think about when this particular issue comes up is the very, very narrow set of circumstances it happened in. One police agency (that I know of), occured at their range durring training (no reports from the field), likely everyone using the same ammo. All this with a gun make and model in use by the thousands (millions maybe?) across the nation and around the world. It's just way to confined an occurence to even think it is a problem with the gun make and model specifically.

18. Zane Zackerly

Zane Zackerly

I've got a Second Generation 19 that has had many hundreds of rounds through it with no hint of this Phase Three Malfunction. I'm told that if you've got a well-worn 19 of any generation, you should have experienced that malfuction by now if you're going to. For those that say it's a Gen 2 problem, I've also read a post here and there on various boards by people with Third Generation pistols that have had the Phase Three malfunction.

That's the internet for you: who to believe?

I'd say Rule of Thumb: if you buy a 19, shoot the crap out of it and if you don't experience the malfunction, you probably won't.

19. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

The incidents were documented in more than one police agency as well as at Gunsite and two that I personally know of occurred in the field during street shootings. The reason why it was documented so well by the NYPD is that we had between 18 and 20,000 model 19's in service at the time. No other agency that I am aware of fielded the model in such numbers.

Glock sent a team of technicians to the main range for the NYPD in the Bronx with two trailers full of CAD CAM machinery to retrofit cuts into the barrel hood and slide of all G 19's in the NYPD inventory.

All purchasers of Glocks since approximately 2002 have benefitted from the changes wrought to the geometry of the barrel/slide and extractor which emanated from the complaints NYPD lodged with Glock on this issue.

If you have a Glock 19 produced during that time frame and it has been extensively fired with no problems then you are probably fine.

Glock fought extremely hard against admitting there was a problem and only assisted NYPD when they looked into dumping all of the Glocks in use at the time and replacing them with another brand of pistol. THAT was when they sent the techs and equipment up and made the changes to pistols manufactured ever since.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  20. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

You could not pull the slide back. The malfunction described was not a FTF or FTE. It was an actual jam wherein the slide was locked in position by the shell casing. It required extensive manipulation and a tool of some sort to free the action and remove the spent shell.

From your description of your pistol I would tend to believe you have nothing to worry about. If it was subject to the Phase Three malfunction you would have definitely known about it already.