Why has the .40 S&W plummeted in popularity?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Boo Berry, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Indy_Tim

Indy_Tim

I will move to carry my G30sf’s should that B/S come to pass again.

2. Sig M11

Sig M11

The last time I saw HRT...I don't remember seeing them carrying the Springfield (but it was pretty dark out :D).

The Field Office SWAT Teams carry Glock 17s. (They look like Gen 4s and the frames are NOT Black.)

3. tracicali

tracicali

4. kernal_panic

kernal_panic

5. Teecher45

Teecher45

And I’ll take getting more rounds on target, more accurately, faster.
    Even if it’s only 1%. The standard pressure 147 gr. HST’s are no slouch, and is a *****cat (recoil-wise) in a G-19:

View: https://youtu.be/PNRqrJRq4T0

Did you watch the video I posted earlier where the bullet performance experts talked about the difference in calibers?
    Or are you just going off of “feel”?

I’m seriously not trying to talk you out of, or into anything, if you’re happy with your current carry then that’s great. Load ‘er up and train often.
    I’m only putting data out there for anyone that is on the fence and has an open mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  6. Teecher45

Teecher45

So, you’re telling me the time difference is insignificant but the impact on target isn’t?
    Do you have any data to back that up?
    If I was going to use the word insignificant in this thread I’d probably use it in the context of different calibers.

Just in case someone missed it:
    https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/why-ballistics-gel-works/

Powerful hard-hitting rounds doesn’t start until you get into rifle velocities.

There’s been several videos/testimonials posted here from people who are experts in their field, or long-term studies, that have shown the difference in the most popular handgun calibers is insignificant; energy just doesn’t matter until you get into rifle velocities.

Is there a study out there showing the effectiveness of the .40 or the .45 over the 9, from an expert, or a long-term study that I’ve missed?

7. shadowlands

shadowlands

I'm sticking with my .40, period.

kernal_panic likes this.
  8. Teecher45

Teecher45

9. Trower67

Trower67

I have come to my own personal decision on not carrying 9mm . To me 9mm is good for plinking but I practice and shoot what I carry which is .40 . I have no need or interest in owning a 9mm gun and I have sold the Gen5 19 I had for 2000 rounds as it never grew on me and I do not personally feel confident in the caliber .

glock1097 likes this.
  10. shadowlands

shadowlands

I like it! .380 did as well as the larger rounds. AWESOME!!! So folks, don't say .380 isn't enough, if you're shooting 9mm, but then stating that 9mm is better than .40. If they're equal, then let them be equal.

Lagamor and Railsplitter like this.
  11. SDGlock23

SDGlock23 JABRONI AUTIST

I understand the reason why some like 9mm and I won't argue that the 9mm isn't lethal, because it certainly is. Many men have taken dirt naps with .22's, 25's, 32's, 380's and the like, so sure the 9mm can kill, so can a sharp stick. But really the goal is to stop the threat as quickly as possible and I don't' think that too many people would disagree that on a shot by shot comparison that the .40 is the more effective round. If you had to stop a pissed off 350lb guy built like a refrigerator, would you really choose 9mm over .40 when there's only a 2rd difference in capacity?

You would likely argue that more holes beats bigger holes and to an extent that could be true if the number of shots on target varied greatly, but it seems that you think that a person can pull of quick follow up shots with 9mm but not with .40, and that's not true. With adrenaline pumping, you'll shoot the .40 every bit as quick as 9mm and as others have pointed out, most people who carry 9mm use a +P or +P+ round which largely negates everything they say about recoil being such a determining factor.

The .40 hits harder, cuts a bigger hole, is less likely to deflect off bone and expands larger. Those are all positives. If it recoils slightly more, I'm okay with that in order to get that higher level of performance.

12. Teecher45

Teecher45

So you have more personal data than Ellifritz?
    (See post # 288)

Of course we have to go off of studies, no one here has shot enough people with enough different calibers to have any “expertise” on the subject!

Again, do you .40 guys have any facts, or are you just going off of feel?

TacticalDesire likes this.
  13. Teecher45

Teecher45

I’d happily take my 9 over a .40 with anyone coming at me. That’s why I carry a 9mm. If I thought another caliber was better, I’d carry that. Dunno.

Adrenaline doesn’t only work for people shooting a .40, it’ll work for people carrying any other caliber also.

The .40 hits harder, when it comes to hard objects. The human body is elastic.
    Knocking a bowling pin farther off of it’s platform has nothing to do with effectiveness against a human in a gunfight. Until you reach rifle velocities. Again, you know that, right?

Have y’all not watched the videos from people that get paid to know this stuff I have posted?

Or, again, are you just going off of feel?

TacticalDesire and 45caldan like this.
  14. Teecher45

Teecher45

Good, I’m glad you’re coming around.
    You do realize that’s a real, long-term study, don’t you?

Some on here are just going with “it’s bigger, it’s just got to be better”.
    And it’s simply not true. They’re just going off of their feelings and others’ opinions.
    Not facts.

15. MD357

MD357

Why are the "9mm is equal to everything" boys so insecure about what they carry, that they are so desperate to try and convince others?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  16. Berto

Berto woo woo

I'd happily tote a .40 if the right gun came along. For example a compact 1911 type or Steyr ma series in .40 would be great.

JFrame likes this.
  17. MD357

MD357

I have some news for you. You don't have real facts either. There is no study that accounts for all the variables in differences in caliber in a SD shooting because it's nearly impossible. It would entail shooting people committing a violent act towards you, and controlling for nearly every scenario within that shooting and creating a null hypothesis for it. We are talking body composition, split times, exact point in time to which BG was stopped, etc.... etc...

There are some strong leanings for sure on both sides of the coin for sure. It goes all the way back to the M&S data of old to whatever is accumulated now. The fact remains that when it comes to true facts, when it comes to what the scientific world demands in terms of proof..... you don't have it either. So lighten up Francis.

slamdunc likes this.
  18. Indy_Tim

Indy_Tim

Don’t waste your energy on him. He’s a 9mm fanboy that won’t run the numbers or calculate the performance himself. Any time someone expresses a preference for .40, these guys come out of the woodwork. When their belief in their caliber of choice is challenged by data, they go into overdrive to defend their choice.

9mm is an adequate caliber but it has as many shortcomings as advantages. All calibers are a compromise of some sort but to a 9mm fanboy, all the downsides must be ignored to keep their belief intact.

Trower67, slamdunc and glock1097 like this.
  19. H&K .45 AUTO

H&K .45 AUTO Gunslinger

My response to folks when they talk studies/numbers/graphs/etc regarding caliber discussions is simple. I would simply ask how many people have you shot, and how many people have you personally examined who have been shot? If the answer to either of those questions is zero... I will stick to my own findings.

glock1097 and slamdunc like this.
  20. H&K .45 AUTO

H&K .45 AUTO Gunslinger

The 9mm is merely adequate, and comes with the added bonuses of being cheap, easy to squeak out a passing qualification score with, and retains good capacity.

The statement I just made is why the .40 S&W has lost some ground. It (9mm) is adequate, people are cheap, we all like more ammo on board, and it can be used competently by less skilled shooters.

I prefer to use what I have personally observed to be more potent.