Why has the .40 S&W plummeted in popularity?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Boo Berry, Sep 14, 2019.

1. shadowlands

shadowlands

well of course. You didn't catch my LOL at the end of my response? Shot placement is key, but larger holes aren't a bad thing.

2. Railsplitter

Railsplitter

Just pointing out that the 9mm isn't always slightly faster to shoot, there are certainly exceptions.

The first shot has no prior recoil to overcome from that's why all first shots are recoil free.

There is certainly a good percentage of one shot stops most often with the more powerful calibers such as the 357 Mag. But of course there are no guarantees in a gun fight.

Lagamor likes this.

3. hardluk1

hardluk1

In 25 years when the FBI is looking for a new gun and cartridge choice the 380acp will be a choice as men and women there looking to hire will be softer and weaker but smarter !! When they pick that new 380acp for a duty carry over night the 9mm will be old news and 380acp ammo production will pick up and 9mm will drop off . Cheaper 380acp ammo prices and new handgun choice will be abundant .

Maybe , and maybe the 22mag will be in the testing mix too !!

My p320c 40sw is on my hip today might be a m&p 40 or 45acp 1911 commander next week but there will be a day when a 9mm might replace it and I have a couple real nice choices now but I'm sure as heck don't make choices according to what the FBI or army wants or picks for bullet & cartridge or handgun . I just happen to have a p320 4 years before the army ever looked at it . And glucks , well they don't have a place here .

glock1097, shadowlands and slamdunc like this.
  4. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

25 years, I am sure the .17GAP will be the #1 choice for L/E........

:cool:

TGT and SargeMO like this.
  5. slamdunc

slamdunc JAFO

With education in the crapper, everybody gets a trophy and overall entitlement mentality, our society won’t be getting any smarter.

It’s going to be slim pickings and the best & brightest probably won’t be working for the government.

1L26 and 45caldan like this.
  6. hardluk1

hardluk1

Glockdude The .17gap now that put a grin on my face . Might be

slamdunc your probably right . Might be if the younger generation can read and write at 6th grade level but can text in short hand , your record shows no felonies and can place 5 rounds of 15 on a full size silhouette at 15 yards they get a badge and gun but man you should see there 6g phone & computer skills , WOW !

Maybe 10 more years I'll be to old to matter at all . I will be a full time porch dog or be gone on but our children and grand kids sure will have one screwed up world to deal with .

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    glock1097, BeauTie1 and TGT like this.
  7. SargeMO

SargeMO

Bob Hagel is quoted as saying "You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."

That, in a nutshell, reflects my thinking on carry guns as well as hunting guns.

1L26 and Southswede like this.
  8. Diesel McBadass

Diesel McBadass Tactically Epic

Im glad i hated 40 before the fall.

Lagamor, TacticalDesire and evlbruce like this.
  9. Teecher45

Teecher45

Okay, I see your points. But I think most people who are serious about this stuff would want to test with equal platforms.

I was trained to shoot until the threat stops doing whatever he/she was doing to make me shoot; no matter the caliber.
    And there-in lies the recoil advantage of a lesser recoiling round.

Would a larger caliber give me an advantage if I was hoping for a 1-shot stop?
    Maybe, but I wouldn’t wait to find out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Indy_Tim

Indy_Tim

I’ve been buying .40s up over the last year. I love the caliber and have picked up deals on 2 G27s, a spare G23, a S&W 4006TSW CHP gun, a CZ P07 in .40 and a CZ SP01 in .40. It’s a great round and if you shoot a lot, it’s as easy to control as a 9mm.

Too many folks compare split times of 9mm to .40 and come away claiming that 9mm puts more rounds in smaller groups than .40 does in a given time. Then, they put the 115g range ammo away and load up with 9mm +P for carry not realizing that they’ve given any speed advantage 9mm has away. What’s worse is they practice with soft 9mm and carry heavy +P ammo that shoots very differently than their range ammo.

One of the beauties of .40 is that most range ammo feels just like EDC ammo so you are practicing with a round that’s a whole lot closer to your carry ammo. I reload .40 and the bulk of that reloading goes into a round that mimics my 180g HST carry ammo closely. I can’t afford to practice weekly with HSTs but I can put an HST like round together for little money.

Love the .40.

11. shadowlands

shadowlands

Agreed. I wouldn't trade my G27 for a G26, ever. But again, that's just me.

slamdunc, 1L26 and Railsplitter like this.
  12. Teecher45

Teecher45

Neither are more holes...

45caldan likes this.
  13. Teecher45

Teecher45

That may be true for some, but not all.
    Some shoot 147 gr. on the range and carry 147 gr. (HST’s) standard pressure.
    I completely agree those that shoot 115 gr. range ammo and carry 124 gr. +P aren’t training. They’re just shooting.

14. Railsplitter

Railsplitter

Shooting a .40 doesn't limit the number of times the trigger can be pulled to stop the BG. Considering that only 3 to 5 rounds are fired in the great majority of civilian gun fights the marginal time difference between calibers lacks any practical value. Especially considering the .40 or 357 Sig are delivering more punch with each shot fired.

1L26 and shadowlands like this.
  15. SargeMO

SargeMO

I can put 230 grains on target twice as fast as anybody shooting 115 grain 9mm.

JFrame, 1L26, shadowlands and 2 others like this.
  16. gamecocks

gamecocks

Never are there more strawmen, hurt feelings, and opinions stated as fact, than in a good ole caliber war thread. Entertaining stuff!

45caldan likes this.
  17. hardluk1

hardluk1

This tread has become a real yawner

18. slamdunc

slamdunc JAFO

And even if you’re an inch or two off, it’s still a really big hole and will make the bad guy leak more.

shadowlands likes this.
  19. shadowlands

shadowlands

Exactly!!!! I can put as many holes in the target as I can with my .380. And yes, bigger holes are a good thing.

1L26, Railsplitter and slamdunc like this.
  20. shadowlands

shadowlands

True. That's what I love about .40.

slamdunc likes this.