Why gun ownership among US women is climbing

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by HerrGlock, Feb 15, 2013.

1. somebodybuymeaglock

somebodybuymeaglock

From the article:

"The opposite contention, that having a gun in the house actually makes women less safe, is the rebuttal from those who say the country needs to make guns less accessible.

As Congress, President Obama, and the nation debate the need for stricter gun laws, women’s safety is emerging as a heated and emotional issue — and one that is almost impossible to “prove” on one side or the other. Every time gun rights defenders cite an incident of a young mother defending herself and her children by shooting an intruder, gun control advocates point to a woman fatally shot in a case of domestic violence. "

I've always found this to be an obtuse argument. What planet are these people living on? Men are on average have 2x the upper body strength, more aerobic capacity, yadda yadda. Do these people really believe that a gun makes a man violent? Do they think a man would need a gun to hurt a female who is probably much weaker? Would it be better if he hadn't use a gun and instead chopped her up or set her on fire? I hope this is propaganda that no one in the real world believes.

This isn't Hollyweird where 5'2 women routinely overpower 6'2 men. :faint:

2. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I could probably keep busy teaching a beginners class for women. Some women have suggested I do just that.

A couple years ago a new neighbor lady asked me if I would teach her to shoot. She brought two more women.

Since then mostly every woman brings a friend or two, who brings another female friend.

There would be a lot more female gun owners/shooters if they knew how to start.

3. wvtarheel

wvtarheel

I've noticed a recent increase in female shooters at our local range. I think the recent craziness has caused a lot more conceal carry classes to happen, and a lot more women are getting started in the hobby as a result.

4. jellis11

jellis11 Yippee-ki-yay

I have always wondered why the percentage of women that cc has not been WAY higher. The chance of my wife being jacked to the chance of me is greatly in her favor, yet she would never carry. Don't understand.

5. Beware Owner

Beware Owner NOT a victim.

I don't believe the polls that the article is mentioning about so many people supporting more laws.

6. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Most times that's them quoting the MAIG polls with questions like

Do you support more felons, baby rapers and recently released psychiatric patients being able to buy pre-loaded assault rifles without manual safeties and legally carrying them into day care centers or do you support background checks for firearm purchases?

Then they bellow about how 204% of all respondents prefer mandating background checks.

It's all in the wording.

7. wvtarheel

wvtarheel

I don't know your wife, but I think for many women its just a familiarity issue. More men learn how to shoot. Its like, why don't more men cook? We all love to eat, its just that many of us don't learn it as kids. Ditto women and guns.

As more ladies learn to shoot and pass it on to their daughters, it is going to become a more popular hobby with females.

8. Beware Owner

Beware Owner NOT a victim.

:rofl: I love it, but you're right. They should question the validity of those polls, however.

9. sheriff733

sheriff733 NRA LIFE MEMBER

The same reason the Jewish people are usually anti-gun.

The irony chokes me.

10. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Yep. Like it or not, it had taken a long time for women to do non-traditional things. However, once they get into it, they'd do it with a vengeance. I think that there was some statistics that said 24% of new gun owners are women. That's one in four persons owning a new gun is a woman.

SCUBA diving is the same way, one in four new divers is a woman now.

Once you demystify an activity and de-genderize it, suddenly it is no longer a "special bastion for males". I'm sure that some knuckle draggers lamented the days where guns and scuba are hobbies only for the manliest of men, but the fact is that we need help from the women to fight these battles for freedom. Not just women either, homosexuals, minorities, kids, teenagers, the whole gamut.

Either adapt the other side's tactics or die.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  11. somebodybuymeaglock

somebodybuymeaglock

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  12. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Exactly - the anti-gunner argument, and the "more likely to shoot a friend or relative" argument both show why we DO NEED guns at home. Just because a person trying to kill you is a friend or relative in your home is no reason you should let them.

13. Short Cut

Short Cut PatrioticMember CLM

Boy do I agree. I've been teaching lady beginners 3 to 1 over guys as of late. Buck they trust you to be patient and safe. We can tell that about you even here on the internet.

I think some gun store/indoor ranges can be intimidating to newcomers. I know that guys are like, intimidating psshhh, c'mon, but a lot of ladies are different.

I find it rewarding on several levels and I'd bet you do too. :patriot:

14. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I turned a few anti-gunner chicks in my days.

It's easy to show them that shooting sport is fun and that just because you own a gun, it doesn't mean you have to use it to kill another human being.

Believe it or not, some people; men and women, just want to own guns for the sport and not for self-defense. They'd rather die before hurting another human (so they say now), but hey, gun ownership is gun ownership. You just nod your head, "uh, huh, I hear ya". Let them play with an innocuous .22 pistol for a range visit or two.

Then next thing they know, you hand them an AK and tell them to go for it - shooting up a bunch of clay pigeons. Suddenly the "evil assault weapon" isn't so "evil" any more.

Psychological warfare, my friends.