Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there I'm new to this site and also the Glock weapon system. Up to now I've been a revolver kind of guy. But now I guess evolution has knocked on my door. My dielma is after looking at a number of semi auto's for concealed carry I am stuck between the Glock model 26 and the Springfield XD sub compact 9mm. I thought with the amount of knowledgeable people on this site I might be enlightened. Any insite would be greatly appreciated. Why Glock?

·
VCDL
1,612 Posts
Aside from just preferring Glock, I found it much easier to find holsters that fit Glocks over XD's when I was comparing the two but that was a few years back.

·
Registered
6,552 Posts
Hi there I'm new to this site and also the Glock weapon system. Up to now I've been a revolver kind of guy. But now I guess evolution has knocked on my door. My dielma is after looking at a number of semi auto's for concealed carry I am stuck between the Glock model 26 and the Springfield XD sub compact 9mm. I thought with the amount of knowledgeable people on this site I might be enlightened. Any insite would be greatly appreciated. Why Glock?
You might also consider the H&K P2000SK. They cost a little more, but to me they're worth it.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Did you present this same question over on XDTALK, if so, by the time you hash out what said between both forums you could have owned one of them & shot 500+ rounds.. Both are fine weapons and either one would fit the bill.

·
Registered
8,910 Posts
Why not Glock? For reliability I just don't think they can be beat. I have a $1200 1911 that is in the shop in New York because for FTF issues, something that I have never seen happen to my 2 Glocks. They will eat anything you feed them plus they are simple to learn and use. Pull the trigger and it goes bang, you don't have to train yourself to deal with various safeties. I could go on and on but I'm guessing that you get the picture.

On the negative side, at least for me I just can't carry mine a comfortable as most seem to be able to on here so I end up open carrying most of the time and that isn't a problem except with the Ole lady.

Good luck with whatever you choose. :wavey:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Glock is a superb line of firearms, the line offers something for everyone 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, .357 SIG, 10mm, Glock also has a .45 GAP its specifically made for Glock pistols its a more compact version of the .45 ACP but with all the power of the legendary caliber round. The Glock pistol will accept any kind ammo that other guns would spit out, along with that and the raw simplicity of the Glock design you also have the pricing, you wont find a more reliable pistol for a more reliable price anywhere, ranging from 500$ to 700$ you cant go wrong. I also am a fan of the SIGPRO models just somthing eles for you to think of.

·
Banned
13,710 Posts
I'll try to keep this short-

- Super reliable.
- 33% less moving parts than the average pistol.
- 3 internal safeties.
- No external hammer.
- Tennifer slide is super resistant to everything.
- Light weight.
- No safety or other levers to get in your way.
- Looks professional.

And not all pistols can pass this torture test- http://www.theprepared.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=90&Itemid=40

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
only thing i don't like about either gun (for carry) is they're both kind of thick. i prefer the compact size g19 the best for an all-around self-defense gun, and i carry a 5-shot revolver

you might want to look at a walther pps - it is a much thinner pistol. they're still pretty scarce, and a bit more expensive. i still have never seen/held one..

·
Polymer Butcher
8,093 Posts
My first handgun purchase was an XD 9mm and when I took my CCW clas with a police firearms instructor I quickly came to not like the gun. The grip safety makes clearing jams and shooting a pain in the but when you shoot a lot. I sold him the gun for his collection and bought myself a Glock. And have had a few glocks since.

Why Glock, because they do what they're suppose to when you need them to!

·
Registered
895 Posts
Welcome, majicman. Why Glock?

- Amazing reliability
- Simplicity in design
- Easy to maintain
- Cheap parts
- Highly durable

My G26 is my concealed carry firearm. It conceals very well, is lightweight, and is interchangeable with the higher capacity 17 and 33 round magazines.

A friend of mine owns an XD. It's a nice pistol, but I'm not a fan of its long trigger reset and it's top-heavy slide. He wants to trade it in for a Glock.

·
Banned
2,007 Posts
Glock advantages

low bore axis (reduces recoil)
tenifer coating on barrel and slide
striker fired
easy to detail strip and cheap to replace parts
loose tolerances- dirt,grit, or small variations in parts does not affect function
huge third party market for accessories, internal parts, holsters, etc.
reliable- goes bang when it should
safe-doesn't go bang when it shouldn't

·
NRA Member
2,065 Posts
Find a range that rents both and try them both. I recently traded an XD9SC for a G19 because I couldn't get over the trigger on the XD.

·
Registered
939 Posts

- Super reliable.
- 3 internal safeties.
- No external hammer.
- Light weight.
- Looks professional.

And not all pistols can pass this torture test- http://www.theprepared.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=90&Itemid=40
All of the above plus:

Holsters and accessories are far more abundant for the GLOCK than any other pistol, including the XD.

Parts are much easier to get for the GLOCK than the XD. You can buy virtually ANY Glock part online.

GLOCKs are easier to work on yourself, should the need arise, than any other pistol. If you can change a doorknob, you'll never need a gunsmith.

GLOCK doesn't have the unnecessary grip safety (just another thing to go wrong) like the XD.

GLOCKs don't look top-heavy and have the high bore axis that the XDs have.

GLOCKs don't have as much muzzle flip due to the aforementioned high bore axis.

XD parts are very hard to find...anywhere.

Did you get the reliabililty part in tbhracing's post? That's the most important thing. There is no pistol made, at any price, as reliable as a GLOCK. Sure, you'll find the occasional exception, but in general that's a fact!

·
Registered
88 Posts
it's been proven,XD is nice but I'll wait 20 years to trust my life with it.

·
Registered
488 Posts
All of the above plus:

Holsters and accessories are far more abundant for the GLOCK than any other pistol, including the XD.

Parts are much easier to get for the GLOCK than the XD. You can buy virtually ANY Glock part online.

GLOCKs are easier to work on yourself, should the need arise, than any other pistol. If you can change a doorknob, you'll never need a gunsmith.

GLOCK doesn't have the unnecessary grip safety (just another thing to go wrong) like the XD.

GLOCKs don't look top-heavy and have the high bore axis that the XDs have.

GLOCKs don't have as much muzzle flip due to the aforementioned high bore axis.

XD parts are very hard to find...anywhere.

Did you get the reliabililty part in tbhracing's post? That's the most important thing. There is no pistol made, at any price, as reliable as a GLOCK. Sure, you'll find the occasional exception, but in general that's a fact!

Originally Posted by tbhracing

- Super reliable.
- 3 internal safeties.
- No external hammer.
- Light weight.
- Looks professional.

And not all pistols can pass this torture test-
http://www.theprepared.com/index.php...d=90&Itemid=40

Why a Glock STICKY......:supergrin:

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
I have an XD-9 and a Glock 26 . I say a Glock 26 BECAUSE ......
The damn grip safety on the XD may not always be engaged when you are in an awkward position and the web of your hand isnt in the correct spot . This happened to me while unholstering and pointing and shooting . I do drills from the holster up to point of aim and if you dont watch out , you may not engage the grip safety and then it will not go bang . Or if wearing thicker gloves in the winter , it may not engage the grip safety.
With a Glock it doesnt matter how tight or loose you hold it or what position the web of you hand is in , it will go bang! I will always keep my XD but the Glock is a way more superior weapon:cool:

·
Registered
453 Posts
Giggity-Giggity: Thanks for the link. That was absolutely amazing. And here I've been treating my G17 gently. I've obviously been mislead.

·
Banned
12,951 Posts
I bought my first G26 in Dec. 1999 and have over 13000 rounds through it. I put a Wolffe +2# non captive recoil spring assembly in it and left the rest stock, this 18# spring setup only needs spring replacement @ every 5000 rounds. The 26 will eat +P+ on a constant basis if it had to. I bought my spare G26 last November and when I got it I replaced the trigger spring, slide lock spring and slide stop lever with spring in my original 26 just as preventative maintenance. Since I bought the spare I put 400 rounds through it to check reliability then put it away and still use the original. I own a Kahr MK9 which is a fine gun but I like the G26 better. I rented a Walther PPS and it is a nice gun but I am too much into the 26 to get one. The only subcompact I like as well at this point is my Kimber Ultra CDP II. There are other fine subcompact 9s out there but I love the G26.:wavey:

·
Sunburnt baldy
238 Posts
only thing i don't like about either gun (for carry) is they're both kind of thick. i prefer the compact size g19 the best for an all-around self-defense gun, and i carry a 5-shot revolver

you might want to look at a walther pps - it is a much thinner pistol. they're still pretty scarce, and a bit more expensive. i still have never seen/held one..
Then, again, there's the G36. Same size as the 19 sideways, 6+1 in .45, AND it's slim. Where's the downside to THAT?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts