close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

why-glock

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by bruce1331, Aug 12, 2003.

1. bruce1331

bruce1331 Millennium Member

Why ? do you carry a glock 45 over all other guns ? I am trying to justify why I should. I bounce back and forth between glocks and 1911.

2. El Toro Loco

El Toro Loco

Bruce,
    G21 13rds vs. 8 rds in a 1911, would be enough said, but clearly you would like some more info. At least the following will be my opinion, I have a 2nd gen glock 21, which I love. It is one of the smoothest, easiest, most reliable gun I have ever own. I have own a Sig, Ruger, and have shot dozens other, and would not trade my G21 for anything.
    I am over 3k rounds through and had only 1 malfunction, that was not the its fault ( rim on the case failed). It eats everything from PMC, UMC, Winchester, and S&B without fail. I know some 1911's are picky on what you put through them.
    I am a reserve officer in IN and would not never venture out without my G21. I have night sights and 3 hi-caps.
    Like I said this is my opinion only, but I am sure that there are many that will back me up.

Alex Ramon/ El Toro Loco

3. rappa29

rappa29 JAFO

I bought a G36 over the Kimber Ultra Carry, SIG P245, Springfield Compact b\c:

1.) Price (about $100 difference).
    2.) Familiarity w\manual of arms (I've owned a G19 for over 10 yrs).
    3.) Ready to go right out of the box. Didn't want to have to take it to a smith for 'tuning' or 'tricking out' before I could start carrying it. It went from the display case, to the range (1000rds in a week), to my hip.

I'll eventually add a 1911 or SIG 220 to the armory, but for carrying, the G36 fit my needs and budget.

4. Signal Zero

Signal Zero

Simplicity and durability. When I carried other pistols IWB and sweated, I had to disassemble them regularly to clean/dry them out before they rusted--pull grips off, etc.
    With my G30, I just drop the mag and wipe it down; polymer doesn't rust.

5. El Toro Loco

El Toro Loco

Polymer doesn't rust!! Can I get a witness from the congregation brothers!!;f ;f

6. Poohgyrr

Poohgyrr GEC #15 sheepsfoot

Beneath the old oak tree at Sutter's Fort
    ;W ;W ;W ;W ;+
    NO rusting. Dark non shiny finish. Easy to clean. Accurate. Lightweight frame, so you can carry more ammo-which Glocks do.
    Great pistolas.

;Y ;V ;+ ;* ;I ;a ;c

7. Polo

Polo Brave Babushka Millennium Member

WHY Glock? Because GOD told me so.;w ;w ;w ;w ;w ;w ;w

8. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Lifetime Member Millennium Member

I grew up on the 1911. But when it came to carry, I wanted something idiotproof (Point and squeeze) all my carry guns operate on that principal (DA first shot, or DA revolver, or Glock) since having seen several shootouts/aftermaths in person, the "surprised" party usually was not thinking terribly clearly and everything's a gross motor skill. I also don't get in as much practice as I'd like and a 1911 is a practice-heavy type of pistol unless you've been shooting it exclusively for years and years.

For the same-size gun, I get a lighter weight, more reliable pistol without any work done on it, several more rounds of ammo and it fits my hand and shoots excellently out of the box. I can't shoot a similar-sized-and-weighted 1911 nearly as well (the P12 from Para-Ordnance or a Lightweight Commander being the exception, mostly cause they're heavier) but the micro-1911's, no.

I've shot a Detonics Combat Master and that HURT!

That, and the fact most mini-1911s are picky on ammo, where my G30 dislikes Winchester White Box FMJ, but other than that (hard primers) eats anything, especially JHPs.

The gun is stock except for the sights (Express Big Dot Tritium) and has digested at least 4,000-5,000 rounds of all types with only a few hiccups (usually from range rounds). That, and the fact the dang thing's nearly indestructible and doesn't rust......

9. HiCap1

HiCap1

I agree with MrMurphy. I tried the Para Carry, since it combined the virtues of 1911 handling with a very smooth double action trigger; the same manual of arms as the Glock. Because of its 3" barrel and consequential shortened spring, it had many FTF's, and was sold by me. The new Para Companion, an Officer Model size was just purchased by me. 200 rounds fired and no hiccups. When dressed in a suit, it's my carry. But for real work (I'm not a LEO), it's Dr. Glock (G30) for me.

HiCap

BD # 4444

10. vafish

vafish

I have a little different reason.

While I used to carry a 1911 quite a bit my main reason for going to a Glock 36 was because about a year ago my wife decided she like the Glock 19. Prior to that point I had never fired a Glock and was very happy with my 1911.

After firing my wifes G19 I decided that Glocks weren't so bad. It then dawned on me that having a simple common platform that both my wife and I are familiar with was a good idea. The G19 and G36 are very similar in size (even fit some of the same holsters). The G36 give me the .45 ACP round that I like and have confidence in (not bashing the 9mm it will work fine if you put your rounds where you need to I just prefer the .45ACP) I bought my G36 last January and haven't carried anything else since. (unless carrying 2 guns at the time)

So why a lock for me?

I get a simple system that both my wife and I are familiar with. it's about half the weight of a full size 1911 (and only 1 round less capacity). Plus all the other reason listed already (well I don't know about the "God Told Me To" part)

11. Polo

Polo Brave Babushka Millennium Member

LMAO!!

Okay...
    I happen to think that [me] owning a Glock because it won't rust is a silly reason. I've never had a gun--any gun--rust on me.

But I will boil it down to three very important points:

a) Reliability
    b) Durability
    c) Safety

12. Ginny

Ginny Ammo Slinger

For me, it was all about work. I carried a Para 7.45 for a while. I fired a G21 at the range for 100 rounds or so. I really like 1911s and I didn't like Glocks because of all the hype. I though, there was no way that any gun could me THAT good ... I was wrong. I had to think of the advantages and disadvantages of each. The G21 had capacity, the M3 tactical light with a Safariland 6280 holster that fit the Glock with the light, and the look and feel of a good tool. In the end, I figured that I could not come up with a good reason to carry a 1911 over the Glock 21 besides the fact that I wanted to. I bought the Glock for work and figured I would be able to play with those pretty 1911s all I wanted away from work. I liked the Glock 21 so much (my first Glock) that I bought a Glock 30 for off duty carry in a Comp-tac Gurkha Slide (it fits both the G21 and the G30 IWB)! I also never thought I would find a duty sized .45 that would be smoother to shoot than my Para, but I did. The G21 is very smooth which makes me fast during qualifications and tactical drills. I usually never want to spend time playing with anything else but my G21, even off duty.

Sorry for the long winded post and remember, no matter what direction you go, it is still a new gun ... and there are not many things that are more satisfying than taking delivery of a high quality, NEW gun! Have fun!

13. Rebeldon

Rebeldon

Because you can say, "I've got a Glock!" ;f

14. G21Pro

G21Pro Senior Member

Why not? What's not to like? On some other forums some complain about lack of manual saftey, ugly looks, or crappy trigger. These things are all personal taste issues. A crisp trigger to one is relatively crappy to someone else in some instances. Bottom line to me is if the Glock fits your needs and description of what a carry gun should do for you, then there is nothing more to justify. Many reasons why you should have been offered.

15. tackdriver

tackdriver Desert Member

I own 1911's and love them. I shoot them at the range and have fun.

I carry a G30 to protect my life. I also shoot it at the range and have fun. The large double stack mag is easier for me to reload in a hurry. I don't have to worry about a safety although if I trained to I probably would not.

The bottom line is this: MOST 1911's can be tempermental, save the expensive and hand tuned(see the 1911 forum). MOST Glocks are not tempermental.

16. spartacus2002

spartacus2002

Didn't need tuning out of the box, I trust it to go BANG whenever I pull the trigger, no external safety to fumble with, and it's light.

17. Frankie boy

Frankie boy

All the reasons posted so far have been correct, but one is missing.

To get off the point for just a second.....if a woman tried to tell a man what it was like to give birth to a child, you would have kind of an idea, but you will never really know because giving birth is an expierience....one you have to go through to know.

The same is true with a Glock....it is an expierience, and after you have had it, chance are you will not trust your life to anything else. I can carry anything I want because I have them all, but I carry the Glock because it's one of the lightest, fastest, most firepower, least maintenence, (runs on no oil) simplest to dis-assemble, most indestructible and trouble free gun there is....plus, you can get it rebuilt for free at an Glock match!

Get one and feel the expierience....you won't be sorry.