Why Gibson was out of money and facing bankruptcy

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by BobbyS, Sep 20, 2019.

1. BobbyS

BobbyS Truth always sounds like lies to a sinner

2. LinuxLover

LinuxLover Ba-nan-nah-nuh

Not a Gibson fan, but this is too sick.... and not the good-sick way either. Was this about the ebony fretboard material purchased before the treehugger ban?

Kinda looks like this technique could be used on aborted... but still living..... babies too. "Sick" in a different way.

Who ordered this carnal destruction?

FullClip likes this.

3. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Ok what was that stupidity? Was it as hinted because some tree hugger stupidity? By LL?

The guitars were already built. Destroying them WASTES materials.
    There is a guy who hunted Africa in 70's-90's. Full elephant mounted, a head shoulder, multiple sets of tusks. There are terrorists that would burn down his building with all the mounted animals. Nit realizing the locals were thrilled when he came and removed the elephant, lions....that was causing damage, a danger.
    I was part of the last tour. He spacificly requested nobody put address, names on social media. He has raised hundreds of thousands of $$$. Allowing charities to run fund raisers there. That's over.

mike from st pe likes this.
  4. Green Dragoon

Green Dragoon Silver Member

They had to do it and show proof. They had been written off.

IamtheNRA likes this.
  5. Jay S.

Jay S.

How the **** did you manage to think of crushing aborted babies by watching this? Seriously WTF is wrong with you?

Rinspeed, Hauptmann6 and Joshhtn like this.
  6. screwman

screwman

I didn’t see any ebony fretboards.

PeterG likes this.
  7. ray9898

ray9898

[​IMG]

Jay S. likes this.
  8. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Why Gibson was out of money and facing bankruptcy?

In the biggest market - electric guitars - they basically make one guitar. If you want a fixed bridge and 2 humbuckers, Gibson is your brand, but otherwise that is kind of limiting. Sure, they make a few hollowbodies, if they haven't discontinued them, but still 2 humbuckers that are more at home on a solidbody rock guitar.

If making one guitar wasn't limiting enough, they increase cost as much as cost could possibly be increased by making a thousand "models" of that one guitar. Right now, at the Guitar Center web site, if I look at Gibson electric guitars, there are 1,725 models listed. That's just current production and they change a load of those every year. I'm reminded of how Dave Thomas founded Wendy's and got rich - by realizing that putting less stuff on the menu can cut costs, turn out better products and make money (something Wendy's has since forgotten).

Luckily, they have managed to price their one kind of guitar at 10-20 times what Korean lookalike costs and far out of the price range of most players. Guiatrs that cost as much as used (and sometimes new) cars aren't for everybody.

That's without even going into competing against their own used guitars.

Gibson is to guitars what Colt is to guns - you have to wonder why they aren't even trying to compete, or if they just can't hire somebody with the common sense to do it.

But yeah, as to the OP, not even bothering to salvage the hardware and electronics sure makes that destruction look silly.

9. Just Glocks

Just Glocks

I have a few Gibson guitars those look like the cheap end that no one buys , no ebony or rosewood in the bunch i could see , great ideal write off what you can't sell !
    I have a few Government Gibson's some of my favorites !
    A Gibson and Marshall Jcm 800 hard to beat if you grew up with that straight out of the Amp sound !

10. Blackshirt

Blackshirt

Weird guitars and not a bit of ebony on them. Still seems like a waste...

11. badge315

badge315

I read this in the comments:

Statement by Gibson:

“The Firebird X destruction video that surfaced months ago was an isolated batch of Firebird X models built in 2009-2011 which were unsalvageable and damaged with unsafe components. This isolated group of Firebird X models were unable to be donated for any purpose and were destroyed accordingly.

“Gibson recently announced its re-launch of the Gibson Foundation. Since 2002, the Gibson Foundation has provided thousands of guitars and donations to schools and charities in excess of $30 million. As a starting point, Gibson has committed to giving a guitar-a-day away over the next 1000 days. 100% of donations to the Gibson Foundation go directly towards giving the gift of music, re-affirming Gibson’s commitment to giving back, helping under-served music education programs, empowering music culture and encouraging the creation of music.”

Just Glocks likes this.
  12. LinuxLover

LinuxLover Ba-nan-nah-nuh

Because I build Guitars and each is a creation of mine.

I stay toward the conservative designs of Leo Fender, Gretsch, Mosrite and the the old Brit (latter Italian) axe: Vox.

I AM conservative.

In being such.... I MAY be an iconoclast, but age is on my side and I can still remember when humanity was friendlier, kinder and aeons more spiritually minded.

To destroy something on such a grand scale both physically and financially, shows me that there is a newer, lower bar of morality for art, the creation of ways to express that art and total disrespect for the artists, builders, artisans and holders of things of beauty.

Likening it to crushing aborted babies is in the same vein as disregard for life compared to any other creation that now has been relegated to old, antique modalities ..... now no longer held in esteem by the next few generations.

I cite rewriting history, removal of statuary and symbols of previous lifestyles, the lives and failures of misdirected loyalties as both good and bad examples.

One cannot learn to dislike or hate previous atrocities unless one can view them in retrospect. To view them in retrospect needs a retrospect that one can actually view!

That babies are being destroyed by scalpals, drugs, "Morning After RU486" pills and outright murder of full term infants should BE shocking.... albeit not on the same levels pertaining to the destruction of guitars.....

To quote an old rabbi on Johnny Carson one night: "..... this 'NEW MORALITY'.... we had a name for it when I was a boy. We called it: the 'OLD IMMORALITY' ".

These heinous crimes, (some more or less heinous).... are now written on the same page if not inside the same tome as things that are no longer valuable nor held to the esteem to which they are assigned by, if not natural law, certainly a law of morality.

It holds a lot of shock value.... I agree. However..... the slippery-slope has been breached and velocity is increasing to a morass of degraded life values by a new, more sinister generation of baby killers and guitar crushers.

There is a great separating work going on. One should be very careful upon which dotted line one signs. All those who are NOT so incensed..... line up in a circle over there------->

What I'm trying to say here is that stripping society of the glue that held it together by un-demonising things that were destructive to the family unit in the past, has created a society that is more and more bereft of a moral compass.

Why not use arcane imagery to lionize immorality?

Brutal?
    Yup! ​
    Accurate?
    Maybe more so than one might imagine.
    If one is incensed by my parallels.... then good!
    It works! ​

Just Glocks likes this.
  13. Just Glocks

Just Glocks

14. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Ok so it wasn't a political act? If they were unsafe, couldn't be used... Guess it makes sense.

I was in Fargo when a train derailed. Number of car units. They had to be destroyed... New cars, some serious damage, others ([email protected]') looked like scuffs. Guy there said due to liability the train insurance demanded they be destroyed. As he told me few parts could even be salvaged.

LL your post didn't make sense at first. When you say you hand build guitars. That helps.

15. Just Glocks

Just Glocks

An unsafe dangerous guitar I guess if you were standing barefoot in a puddle of water when you plugged it in it might curl your toe nails !

I :aod: Gibson Guitars but their statement has a BS smell to it !

16. PeterG

PeterG

What the hell is “unsafe” about a guitar?

Are we such a bubble wrapped helmet wearing scaredy-cat society that things can’t be revamped or repaired?

Waste not want not seems to be outdated.

Sent from my iPhone using Glock Talk

Just Glocks likes this.
  17. lazarus66

lazarus66

18. Green Dragoon

Green Dragoon Silver Member

they had to do it Bren and because of the 100% write-off, they couldn't salvage any of the guitar.