Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Gen5's won't fit in some security holsters designed for previous generations. That makes it hard to rotate in new guns at large agencies without a large financial outlay for new holsters.

I have a security holster (Safarliland ALS) that would normally work with G22/23 and 17/19, but my new G45 won't fit. Pretty sure its the ambidextrous slide stop/release.

I bought a concealed carry ALS paddle for my G45 that also seems to work ok with my G19.4...which means it likely works with my G23.4

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
A lot of California Law Enforcement carries Glock handguns of all generations. Glock does not turn down Law Enforcement sales and is very aggressive getting contracts. The main competitor to Glock in California is Sig. Glock tried very hard to get the Gen 4's on the safe list but could not. That did not stop any Law Enforcement sales. If Glock didn't manufacture Gen 3's many in California would not be able to purchase a Glock at all.
I stand corrected, I found one of the threads I was referring to. It was Ruger that told Cali to screw themselves, and it was over "micro stamping". Reading information in the law, law enforcement, military, and other such agencies are exempt and allowed to purchase the newer Gens even though the citizens aren't. I would venture that's why Gen 5's probably won't be allowed for sale in Cali, they don't micro stamp, and I'm sure Glock won't make the effort to make micro stamping a standard feature. That's why the Gen 4 isn't available for sale there.

·
Registered
32,346 Posts
A statement from GLOCK:

“In an effort to intelligently preserve and grow the GLOCK brand and deliver uncompromised quality and maximum customer satisfaction, we are focused on our mission of future-oriented manufacturing technologies. This includes extending the latest Gen5 technology enhancements to the .40 caliber line of pistols. Availability will begin in October; however, the focus will be on supporting existing .40 caliber agencies on transitioning to the latest technologies within the law enforcement market. While we will continue to support fielded Gen4 pistols and agencies with Gen4 models, we have stopped 9×19 and .40 caliber Gen4 productions for the US commercial market. We look forward to bringing the performance improvements of the Gen5 technologies to other areas of product development.”

Glock originally couldn't get the Gen4 guns on the CA Roster primarily because Glock doesn't offer a magazine safety. (This was stated during a Glock armorer recert after the gen4's were released.) The loaded chamber indicator requirements became very stringent at one point during the mess when CA was changing their mind about what was acceptable, too.

Then, once state AG Kamala Harris decided the state didn't have a patent issue with microstamping technology in 2013, she implemented the bill that had been passed and signed approx 7 years prior (2007). Once the previously signed microstamping bill was implemented, all new models had to incorporate it in order to be accepted onto the state's Roster ... which meant no more new models would ever be accepted onto the CA Roster. LE could continue to buy them new due to the peace officers exemption written into the code, of course. That essentially meant that all new handguns that had been legislatively declared "unsafe" by CA could only be bought new by LE, and they're carrying and using firearms in Public that have been legislatively declared by CA as being "unsafe". :ROFLMAO: If I understand it right, that's the crux of the challenge to the law that's been sitting and waiting in DC to be hopefully be heard by the Supreme Court ... someday.

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
Old news.

Glock has been phasing out Gen 4 for over a year. Some Gen 4 are still made that isn't available in Gen 5 as 9mmdude has said, you can still get .45 ACP and 10mm Gen 4 Glocks. I bought a brand new 21.4 2-3 months ago, USA made. Unsure if they are domestic production only or still imported.
The find gen 3 pistols to be "okay" but the gen 4 pistols finally brought me into the glock fold... The gen 5s lost me again.
Do not want.
My Glock collection is done also at Gen 4. Will not have a Gen 5 either. I just don't see anything of value, so more are available with MOS - another trend I care not about.

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
Why continue making a previous generation when the newer one performs better? Only reason Gen 3 is still a thing is due to states like California.
Didn’t the navy seals adopt the Gen 3 G19?

I don’t know why anyone would chose the Gen 3!

I’m in California and have Gen 3 but I’d rather have a gen 5 or my grail Glock is the G19 RTF2.

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
Gen5's won't fit in some security holsters designed for previous generations. That makes it hard to rotate in new guns at large agencies without a large financial outlay for new holsters.

I have a security holster (Safarliland ALS) that would normally work with G22/23 and 17/19, but my new G45 won't fit. Pretty sure its the ambidextrous slide stop/release.

I bought a concealed carry ALS paddle for my G45 that also seems to work ok with my G19.4...which means it likely works with my G23.4
That’s a part of it. But some agencies require a “ torture test” of each gun model. Ours was 10,000 rounds of 124 grain+p gold dot . I don’t know how many test guns are used. Just the testing and approval by the firearms section, the police commissioner and the political review by the city council isn’t worth the hassle . And they buy enough guns on its own for Glock to keep a model line open as they did with the smith and Wesson 5946 for a few years. The NYPD has its officers buy approximately 2000 to 5000 Glock firearms every year. And the other city enforcement agencies like corrections, taxi and limo commission agents, sanitation police etc piggyback off the NYPD firearm selections.

And I say— let’s bring back the Gen 2.
And the Gen 3 had its advantages. The original tennifer treatment and a good finish that doesn’t scratch as easily as the Gen 4

·
Director of civil unrest
11,235 Posts
I find gen 3 pistols to be "okay" but the gen 4 pistols finally brought me into the glock fold... The gen 5s lost me again.
Do not want.
Ok. I've had the same experience as far as gen. 3 vs. gen. 4 guns but what is it that you don't like about the gen. 5 guns?
I'm asking because I'm considering getting a gen. 5 G19 so I've got a backfill gun in case my gen. 4 goes out of commission or gets put in the evidence locker. 😫

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Ok. I've had the same experience as far as gen. 3 vs. gen. 4 guns but what is it that you don't like about the gen. 5 guns?
I'm asking because I'm considering getting a gen. 5 G19 so I've got a backfill gun in case my gen. 4 goes out of commission or gets put in the evidence locker. 😫
"Personal" reasons really. I'm one of those guys that wants the finger grooves. Sure they're kinda uncomfortable but I don't care because, when I'm actually shooting, I can get a fantastic grip on the pistol. I also prefer the gen4 texture. I find myself repositioning more with the 3s and 5s. I'm also not a fan of the ambidextrous slide stop. I rarely use it and prefer a small size (and only one) so I'm less likely to inadvertently hit it. I do however like the new trigger spring setup on the gen 5s and slimlines.

I have much less experience with the 5s over the others though. I say rent one and do a direct comparison to your gen4. Run some drills and see how you do. You might find the 5s hit a sweet spot for you. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
22,903 Posts
I like the Gen5s myself. The finger grooves on the 19 and 23 never fit me and as a result I've never gotten on before. The Gen 5 changed that and I carry the 19 now. I carried a gen 2.5 30 for 20 years before that.

·
Registered
22,903 Posts
I stand corrected, I found one of the threads I was referring to. It was Ruger that told Cali to screw themselves, and it was over "micro stamping". Reading information in the law, law enforcement, military, and other such agencies are exempt and allowed to purchase the newer Gens even though the citizens aren't. I would venture that's why Gen 5's probably won't be allowed for sale in Cali, they don't micro stamp, and I'm sure Glock won't make the effort to make micro stamping a standard feature. That's why the Gen 4 isn't available for sale there.
Also micro stamping doesn't exist.

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
Better snag a Gen 4 whenever you find one.

I'm sure they're going to seriously increase in value.

Coincidentally...yeah, total coincidence, my Gen4 G19FS is available for sale for only $5000. You can just PM me here and we'll set it up.

Better hurry. 🙂

Handgun holster Wood Rectangle Composite material Automotive exterior

·
Registered
32,386 Posts
I doubt the value will increase much, if any, given how many there are out there.

How much extra value does an average gen 2 have? And they've been out of production for what, 20 years?

·
Registered
10,423 Posts
All I know is if the G-4’s are LEO Only, then why is our Blue label Police Supply only stocked with some gen 3 Glock -19’s and gen 5’s, no gen 4’s at all in the case.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
All I know is if the G-4’s are LEO Only, then why is our Blue label Police Supply only stocked with some gen 3 Glock -19’s and gen 5’s, no gen 4’s at all in the case.
From the GLOCK letter in the article I posted, it sounds like GLOCK is still supporting LE Agencies that use gen4 GLOCKS in 9mm and 40SW. So I’m guessing here, gen4’s in 9mm and 40SW will be limited to all.
This is the letter from the article-

“In an effort to intelligently preserve and grow the GLOCK brand and deliver uncompromised quality and maximum customer satisfaction, we are focused on our mission of future-oriented manufacturing technologies. This includes extending the latest Gen5 technology enhancements to the .40 caliber line of pistols. Availability will begin in October; however, the focus will be on supporting existing .40 caliber agencies on transitioning to the latest technologies within the law enforcement market. While we will continue to support fielded Gen4 pistols and agencies with Gen4 models, we have stopped 9×19 and .40 caliber Gen4 productions for the US commercial market. We look forward to bringing the performance improvements of the Gen5 technologies to other areas of product development.”

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
It’s because they are superior
Gen 4's are LEO only right now. Any commercial models are left over stock. Glock would stop Gen 3 sales too if it wasn't for California and the thousands of Gen 3 Glocks being bought.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Do some research.

Buy them while you can.
Looks like someone did it for him. Helping is one thing but enabling just encourages getting someone else to do his work There's very little in the world that can't be found with a little research....but you and I know that.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts