Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title states - why such a move by Glock that new Gen 4's can only be purchased by Law Enforcement personnel ? Gen 4's are my favorite series , so not happy about this new Glock policy .

·
NRA Life Member
68,293 Posts
They're not law enforcement only. There's just a Law Enforcement Only version of certain models with its own SKU number, same as other generations. These are the blue label guns and are mostly exactly the same as the non-blue label, but have an extra magazine in the box. Oddly enough, comparing the civilian and law enforcement versions of the Gen 4 G34, there is a 2mm difference in barrel length and overall length?????

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
They're not law enforcement only. There's just a Law Enforcement Only version of certain models with its own SKU number, same as other generations. These are the blue label guns and are mostly exactly the same as the non-blue label, but have an extra magazine in the box. Oddly enough, comparing the civilian and law enforcement versions of the Gen 4 G34, there is a 2mm difference in barrel length and overall length?????

Gen 4's are LEO only right now. Any commercial models are left over stock. Glock would stop Gen 3 sales too if it wasn't for California and the thousands of Gen 3 Glocks being bought.

·
Registered
32,369 Posts
Weird. Trying to boost Gen 5 sales I bet. And/or they just don't want to produce many Gen 4s now.

Haven't you always been able to buy blue label Glocks, depending on the dealer?

·
NRA Life Member
68,293 Posts
Gen 4's are LEO only right now. Any commercial models are left over stock. Glock would stop Gen 3 sales too if it wasn't for California and the thousands of Gen 3 Glocks being bought.
Maybe law enforcement is all that are available for sale right now, but I don't think Glock has a rule that Gen 4 are for LE only.

Coincidentally, this same thread was started a year ago this month. Calm down. There's a shortage of guns and ammo still (but it's coming back).

Reactions: indivi

·
Registered
24 Posts
Why continue making a previous generation when the newer one performs better? Only reason Gen 3 is still a thing is due to states like California.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The way I read that is they still have some blue label inventory - perharps because of certain agencies still wanting to buy them. Otherwise they have gone all Gen5. So if you have a GSSF coupon and your local deater has some you should still be able to buy. It's interesting though that the 23 Gen 4 is still available when the 23 Gen 5 is out. Probably old new stock still in inventory. The only reason they still make Gen3 is because California.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Maybe law enforcement is all that are available for sale right now, but I don't think Glock has a rule that Gen 4 are for LE only.

Coincidentally, this same thread was started a year ago this month. Calm down. There's a shortage of guns and ammo still (but it's coming back).
LOL, I am very calm just trying to put out good info. Glock is selling Gen 4's if a corresponding model is not available in Gen5.

10mm
45ACP

Here is what is listed on Glocks Website:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Why continue making a previous generation when the newer one performs better? Only reason Gen 3 is still a thing is due to states like California.
Exactly. Only reason they’re still maintaining the G4 at all is for LE procurement contracts.

Hopefully this means G5 large frames are around the corner if they’re starting to 86 the G4’s.

·
Registered
862 Posts
There is much more of a gen 3 following than you think there is. While I don't doubt if California updated the roster Glock would stop making gen 3 guns, I think there are a lot of people out there that will continue to hold off buying gen 5 and later.

What evidence do you have to support your claim that the newer generation performs better?

·
Registered
24 Posts
There is much more of a gen 3 following than you think there is. While I don't doubt if California updated the roster Glock would stop making gen 3 guns, I think there are a lot of people out there that will continue to hold off buying gen 5 and later.

What evidence do you have to support your claim that the newer generation performs better?
Well, majority of law enforcement agencies are making the change to Gen 5 due to officers scoring better during qualifications. FBI has published their reports on their testing they've done as far as accuracy goes. If California updated their roster and allowed Gen 5 to be imported for sale in the state to civilians, I'd bet my bottom dollar that the discontinuation of Gen 3 wouldn't be far behind that.

·
Florist
20,447 Posts
I don't blame Glock for attempting to trim their product line. As already noted, gen 3 for California and gen 5 as Glock's main/current focus. I can see LE agencies purchasing gen 4 on an individual replacement basis but I bet any agency looking to replace their entire stock of Glocks and considering either the gen 4 or gen 5, Glock would be pushing their usually very generous discounts for the gen 5s only.

I prognosticate that in the coming years, there will be plenty of gen 4 police trade ins... carried much, shot minimally, reasonably priced.

Reactions: deadhead

·
Registered
11,039 Posts
For the same reason Auto manufacturers don't continue to make 2010 model cars.

But some agencies still want to continue with Gen4 due to the fact they dont want to maintain 2 different Gen pistols. So Glock continues to service them with new Gen4s.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Taking a scientific wilda** guess here, but I'd venture the only reason the previous gens are in production at all is so Glock can close out it's current contracts. Once those obligations have been met, other than used, they will disappear. New gen Glocks will never appear in California as I believe Glock and S&W both told them to pound sand. To get a new firearm on the "approved list", they were required to pay a fee and submit samples of the new weapon for approval and both refused to pay to play. I believe that whole thing started because Cali (and specifically LA County) had submitted a huge order of Gen 4's for law enforcement, which was exempt from the approved list thing, but wouldn't allow private citizens to own them. Glock cancelled the order stating if the guns weren't available to private citizens in their State, then under the same rules they wouldn't be available to law enforcement. There were a number of threads about this several years back.

Reactions: jhc37013

·
Registered
10,675 Posts
Exactly. Only reason they’re still maintaining the G4 at all is for LE procurement contracts.

Hopefully this means G5 large frames are around the corner if they’re starting to 86 the G4’s.
Exactly. It’s because of the procurement contracts that Glock will even still make the Gen 4. Just like the reason they still make the Gen 3 is because of California.

·
Registered
32,369 Posts
Just pointing out that this applies to 9mm and .40. For calibers not available in gen 5, gen 4 is still available.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Taking a scientific wilda** guess here, but I'd venture the only reason the previous gens are in production at all is so Glock can close out it's current contracts. Once those obligations have been met, other than used, they will disappear. New gen Glocks will never appear in California as I believe Glock and S&W both told them to pound sand. To get a new firearm on the "approved list", they were required to pay a fee and submit samples of the new weapon for approval and both refused to pay to play. I believe that whole thing started because Cali (and specifically LA County) had submitted a huge order of Gen 4's for law enforcement, which was exempt from the approved list thing, but wouldn't allow private citizens to own them. Glock cancelled the order stating if the guns weren't available to private citizens in their State, then under the same rules they wouldn't be available to law enforcement. There were a number of threads about this several years back.

A lot of California Law Enforcement carries Glock handguns of all generations. Glock does not turn down Law Enforcement sales and is very aggressive getting contracts. The main competitor to Glock in California is Sig. Glock tried very hard to get the Gen 4's on the safe list but could not. That did not stop any Law Enforcement sales. If Glock didn't manufacture Gen 3's many in California would not be able to purchase a Glock at all.

·
Registered
408 Posts

As for myself, I own three nicely modified 3rd generation Glock pistols that I'll put up against any other later generation Glock pistol on the planet and—maybe, just maybe—outperform whatever Glock the other guy is using.

My third gen Glocks have all Tenifer-treated harden steel parts in them. I did the trigger mechanisms myself; and even the local gunsmith who specializes in CZ repairs and modifications commented to me after firing one of them, himself, that (and I quote), "Well, I don't know what you did to this pistol; but it, sure as hell, ain't no Glock!" "The trigger is really nice, and it fires very smoothly!" (Coming from this 'gun snob' you could have 'knocked me over with a feather' when he said that!)

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, "I won't own any Glock pistol that isn't an honest-to-goodness third generation Glock." (I am also completely ambidextrous; so the location of the slide stop, and magazine release do NOT matter to me. I can work these controls with either hand; so, it ain't no big deal.)

Third generation Glocks are the most thoroughly tested Glock models ever made. If 4th and 5th generation Glock pistols work well, today, it is probably because of all the actual field testing that Glock, GmbH/Inc. did on the 3rd gen models!

Neither am I a fan of non-heat treated slides and other internal parts, nDLC coatings are, in reality, a very inexpensive way to finish a Glock; and the present super-thin electroless nickel plating that Glock is now using on their soft metal trigger mechanisms CANNOT be either worked or polished to the level of REAL PERFECTION that the older third gen pistols can; AND, as far as MIM parts go, SCREW THEM!

It took some kind of 'huevos grandes' for the factory to use MIM strikers in their pistols; and those of us who have been shooting Glocks for awhile now know all about the problems that the early MIM extractors caused. There are also a lot of other problems with MIM parts that I never see anyone talk about on IGF's; but, hey, to each his own!

If someone thinks that his 4th or 5th generation Glock is a better pistol because it has a (completely unnecessary) changeable backstrap, ambi controls, or a redesigned 'metalized' RSA then why should I care?

I have always used Wolff Gunsprings solid steel recoil guide rods in my 3rd gen Glocks; and, not right now, but, I was 'shooting the living dickens' out of these Glocks. That's something like 40,000 + fired rounds through three (admittedly) well maintained 3rd generation pistols—all without so much as a single hiccup! ;)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts