Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see that a money hungry FFL dealer (not a private seller) is trying to sell a S$W 66 snub nose for over $1300. If he's like most other dealers the price will not be lowered because he is absolutely sure that it can sell for that much.
I'm considering contacting the dealer and offering to sell him one of the very same models, in better condition, for $900 (I'd be embarrassed to ask for that much at any other time), but i doubt that i would get a response. I have made such offers with other overpricing dealers for other firearm models. None have taken up on any offer to make what they should see as easy money. What gives??

About 12 years ago I bought a scarce S&W 66-4 with a 3" barrel, AND Spegel grips, from a private seller at a gun show for $450 (3" 66s were in the $8-900 range back then), all because the dealers who asked to look at it wouldn't buy it because they wanted a larger profit. Not complaining at all, and i still have the 66-4.

Any dealers care to explain why that much profit would not be enough.

·
Semper Paratus
29,338 Posts
I see that a money hungry FFL dealer (not a private seller) is trying to sell a S$W 66 snub nose for over $1300. If he's like most other dealers the price will not be lowered because he is absolutely sure that it can sell for that much.
I'm considering contacting the dealer and offering to sell him one of the very same models, in better condition, for $900 (I'd be embarrassed to ask for that much at any other time), but i doubt that i would get a response. I have made such offers with other overpricing dealers for other firearm models. None have taken up on any offer to make what they should see as easy money. What gives??

About 12 years ago I bought a scarce S&W 66-4 with a 3" barrel, AND Spegel grips, from a private seller at a gun show for $450 (3" 66s were in the $8-900 range back then), all because the dealers who asked to look at it wouldn't buy it because they wanted a larger profit. Not complaining at all, and i still have the 66-4.

50-60% of retail is standard to buy your gun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
107 Posts
So because his price is more than you want to pay, you have to post on a public forum and call him names? Don't like the price? Don't buy it.

Everytime I see a post like this, I can't help but think that the OP feels entitled to someone else's property at a price the OP wants to set. It doesn't work that way.

·
You Breed 'Em, YOU Feed 'Em!
1,339 Posts
Greed is the very worst dynamic in the Capitalistic form of govt. Price gouging and waiting for a sucker to buy it is not what a Man with Character & Integrity does. Selling it for a “Fair” price is how it should work.

·
On the day of your birth death began stalking you
9,843 Posts
A big problem right now is distributors. The shop I work at part time has issues. They will call and offer what we are looking for only to say we have to take a bunch of other stuff with it that we didn't need or want. Take the package or leave it.

It wasn't anything I ever knew about before and didn't use to happen. It does now. And, when you have a bunch of stuff that no one is buying but you have to take more to get what people are buying yes, prices go up. Its not the shop most of the time actually or at least not the one I work at.

Its just trying to stay afloat and cover other crap at the moment. Our thing for example is 308 ammo. We are drowning in it. But all to often when the phone rings confirming orders it is take more of this too or get nothing.

They aren't kidding either. If you don't take it not only do they go to the next FFL you don't get called next time your orders come up. Miss out on a few orders and you learn if you wanna stay open you gotta play along.

·
Premium Member
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So because his price is more than you want to pay, you have to post on a public forum and call him names? Don't like the price? Don't buy it.

Everytime I see a post like this, I can't help but think that the OP feels entitled to someone else's property at a price the OP wants to set. It doesn't work that way.
Your reading 'skills' suck...i don't want or need to buy that firearm. I'm tempted to offer one in better condition for a lot less money.

·
NRA Life Member
6,668 Posts
A big problem right now is distributors. The shop I work at part time has issues. They will call and offer what we are looking for only to say we have to take a bunch of other stuff with it that we didn't need or want. Take the package or leave it.

It wasn't anything I ever knew about before and didn't use to happen. It does now. And, when you have a bunch of stuff that no one is buying but you have to take more to get what people are buying yes, prices go up. Its not the shop most of the time actually or at least not the one I work at.

Its just trying to stay afloat and cover other crap at the moment. Our thing for example is 308 ammo. We are drowning in it. But all to often when the phone rings confirming orders it is take more of this too or get nothing.

They aren't kidding either. If you don't take it not only do they go to the next FFL you don't get called next time your orders come up. Miss out on a few orders and you learn if you wanna stay open you gotta play along.
That seems like borderline extortion. Lol

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Greed is the very worst dynamic in the Capitalistic form of govt. Price gouging and waiting for a sucker to buy it is not what a Man with Character & Integrity does. Selling it for a “Fair” price is how it should work.
Who determines what price is fair? Isnt that between the buyer and the seller?

·
Registered
435 Posts
I’m confused where the op fits in this? A price is decided between the seller and buyer.

If you have one you’re looking to sell put it up for bid. Then you’ll know what it’s worth.

When the ammo shortage was in full swing I stumbled on 1000rd cases of 9mm for pre pandemic prices I bought 10 and put 2 of them on gunbroker for bid with .01$ starts. I made money and got 8000rds of 9mm for free. I didn’t screw anyone, someone wanted what I had and was willing to pay for it, If someone comes along and wants it they’ll pay the dealer. If not he’ll lower his price.

·
Super Moderator
20,265 Posts

What will you do when you offer him that handgun at that price and he says "I'll take it!"?

If you haven't been watching revolver prices carefully for the last few years or so, you might be surprised to see what nice S&W wheelguns are selling for right now.
I know I was shocked, and I have a friend who has been mentioning it from time-to-time, so I thought I was fairly up-to-date.

Hell, a Ruger DA .357 sells for near $900 retail in my town right now; a nice older S&W in decent shape would surely bring more.
It's only worth that much because some people in the recent past have been willing to pay that, and soaring inflation of the dollar.

As long as people are paying high prices (for any reason(s)), sellers will continue to price their stuff on the high side, and it's their stuff to sell as they'd like.

·
On the day of your birth death began stalking you
9,843 Posts

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
Dealers are in business to make a profit. It’s not up to anyone else to determine what that profit is. They do in fact tend to buy at wholesale prices so they can make a profit. Same goes for everything we purchase. IMO the dealers are not “greedy” but being practical. If this confuses OP, I’d suggest he watch a few episodes of Pawn Stars to get the gist of all this.

Reactions: Green Dragoon

·
Registered
107 Posts
Your reading 'skills' suck...i don't want or need to buy that firearm. I'm tempted to offer one in better condition for a lot less money.
No you appear to think it is overpriced. That is pretty much the definition of “more than you are willing to pay”. The bottom line is that you don’t know what he paid for it. You don’t know what his overhead is. All you know is that you think it is too expensive and you post here with name calling like a child.

·
Premium Member
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What will you do when you offer him that handgun at that price and he says "I'll take it!"?
I would gladly sell anyone that firearm for that price.
Do you believe that every 66 snub is worth $1300?? You can buy the 3" 66-4 for $2000...and according to your logic that's a steal because a 3" 66 sold on GB for $3000 last year.

My question (that you can't answer) is why would a dealer turn down an offer to buy something that they could easily make money with?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts