Why don't gif's animate?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Poppa Bear, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Poppa Bear

Poppa Bear Protective G'pa CLM

The emoticons etc. have stopped animating on this computer. If the animated picture is saved as a jpg it will animate, but no pictures saved as a gif will. My other computer still animates the gifs.

I have checked every setting I can find and found nothing that explains this loss of animation.

Any ideas?

This is true for both Firefox and IE6 so it has to be a file setting.

2. Glock Bob

Glock Bob Snack Attack!!!

JPEGs aren't animated and I don't recall ever seeing one that was. Try this:

Create a folder on your desktop (name doesn't really matter). Save an animated gif on the internet to that folder. Open the folder. Windows will usually make it into a photo gallery type folder (images displayed horizontally on the bottom with a "frame" of sorts on the top to display selected image). If not, click:

View
    Customize this folder...
    Customize (tab)
    Under "Use this folder type as a template:" select Photo Album
    Click OK
    Click on the file

The image should show up in the "frame" and should be animated. It maybe that whatever program you're using to open the GIFs with is not designed to display the animation or that feature has been disabled somehow.

3. Poppa Bear

Well somehow something has been disabled. I have several gifs saved in MY PICTURES that will open and animate if I double click on them even when I use Firefox and IE as the programs.

When those same gifs are loaded as part of a web page they do not animate. If I save the gif to a folder and check the file properties it has a depth of 8 bits. Those that play on my computer have a depth of 32 bits.

4. Poppa Bear

test

An example is this gif does not animate for me when I click on it here. If I open it directly from my harddrive it animates.

5. get2now

get2now Yowsa!!!

It animates for me when I click on it. Must be in your settings.

6. Poppa Bear

Did that, went as far as disabling all animation, pictures, video etc. shutting down, restarting, and re-enabling everything, just on the chance some setting was not quite right. Animation still does not work.