Why doesn't Glock make a....

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by CWII, Jan 13, 2010.

1. CWII

CWII

Hi. I'm new to the sight so I'm sure this has been talked about before. My question is why hasn't Glock tried to keep up with the current market trends of releasing a carbine/AR or single stack 9mm devoted to CCW? I understand why they can't do a tint .380 but I've heard many people say they'd buy a single 9mm from Glock in a heartbeat. I know I would. I guess I don't see why they just keep updating the frames instead of keeping up with the Jones'.

Of course this tread is usless if someone has already heard that they are going to release these types of firearms. Like I said I'm new here.

2. mnglocker

mnglocker Rope Czar

I'm still waiting on a carbine. :whistling:

3. Mikey.Dunn

Mikey.Dunn

Not enough motivation probably. They sell A LOT of guns.

4. Conrad559

Conrad559

sorry for the stupid question, but what is the big deal about having a single stack? what are the benefits to having a single stack mag?

5. napp32

napp32

A single stack allows the gun to be made thinner. A thinner gun offers the capability for easier concealment. For many people, ease of concealment takes priority over the extra amount of ammo that can be carried in a double stack. Some others may prefer the slimmer grip because they have small hands and the gun just feels better.

If you get a chance, compare the single stack G36 to any of the other .45acp models that Glock offers.

6. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

I think this is the reason Glock don't develop a single stack 9mm. They learned their lesson, the hard way, with the G36.

7. High Altitude

High Altitude

Gaston is one stubborn guy.

Just look at Ruger, completely different company now that good old Bill isn't calling the shots.

8. greatwun

greatwun Senior Member

A carbine would be nice. I really dont like the Kel-tec sub2000

9. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

It comes down to what they think they can sell. Glocks are also mostly a military/LE firearms company so their product line reflects that.

10. Larry V

Larry V

19, 23 , 26 27 and even 30 SF are very easy to carry and conceal!!!

11. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Glocks are primarily marketed to law enforcement.

The civilian side of things is almost analogous to crumbs off the table.

'Drew

12. Hog Rider

Hog Rider

As long as the Die Hard Kool Aid drinkers (not picking on you personally) continue to spout the same old lines, Gaston has no reason to change.

Almost all of the other major manufactures have seen that the future product line includes one or two of .380 & 9 MM in a compact single stack frame size.

Glock is being left in the dust in this area. The old line about military & police sales is slowing as well. Many are switching to other product lines that currently offer more choices than Glock does.

In business you adapt or you slowly die.

13. Kwanger

Kwanger

While I'd love to see a carbine, if they released one I imagine it would be squarely targeted at the military/le MP5 type market, and priced accordingly, which would be out my my price range.

I'm surprised they haven't done one, as I can only imagine it would be a success with many police departments and militaries - but I guess they just don't want to get into that market.

14. Steve in Az

Steve in Az Walther PPQ

"Why doesn't Glock build a....."

...for the same reason VW doesn't build a truck. It's obviously not a market share that interest them. There's plenty of other brand tactical rifles and single-stack pistols out there, show your dissatisfaction with Glock by buying one.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  15. legends13

legends13

Maybe for you, in your line of work/ style of dress that is true. For me it isn't. My current Carry gun is a G19, using an IWB holster. Is it a good gun? Absolutely. I wouldn't want, at lease at this point, to carry something other than a Glock, as I know it is 100% reliable. However, I work in an office, and dress in slacks/button up shirt daily. This doesn't allow me to keep a G19 concealed easily. Sure, when I have a jacket on, it is fine, but otherwise it is not. Have you seen the Kahr PM9, the Taurus Slim, or the Keltec PF9? Or heck, even the Walther PPS? These are all sub 1" in width (.9", 9", .88", and .91" respectively) compared to the 1.18" of my G19. That means all of those single stack 9's are .27-.31mm thinner than my glock, and could be carried in a pocket or IWB much easier. I don't mind a small capacity, as I live in the communist state of NY, and can only carry 10 anyway (although I have a Pre-ban 15rd for my current Glock:broccoli:)

If Glock made a comparable sized CCW 9, I would buy it in a heart beat.

And one more thing, the G26, while smaller, doesn't make a difference. It is not the "length" of the gun that matters, it is the "thickness" (that's what she said:rofl:)

16. GTlight

GTlight

Glock made the switch to the Gen 4 not for civilians but for LEOs. The LEO market does not want or need what you are asking. Glock owns significant market share but they are merely responding to supposed advancements in design at S&W and others who are seeing their sales increase on ergonomics alone. Reliability has already been proven. Responding is not good. Glock is a laggard and their arrogance is beggining to chip away into acquiescence. But that is as far as they will go, until something else comes up that they need to respond too. Bad sign, but their firearms have stood the test of time and I have my Gen 3s. I will buy 2 more for storage before these are gone, parts kits and mags for both. You can have the Gen. 4s, 5s, 6s, etc..

17. InfoSec Guy

InfoSec Guy

I hate to play Devil's Advocate, but... http://wot.motortrend.com/6300126/c...ad-of-iaa-commercial-vehicles-show/index.html

18. Steve in Az

Steve in Az Walther PPQ

That's not a truck, that's an Avalanche with VW pasted on the grill...LOL.

19. Captainns10

Captainns10

But isnt the g26 thin and small enough????? Or maybe its because I carry a g30.

20. vafish

vafish

Not compared to something like the Keltec PF9 or the Walther PPS

To answer they OP's question, because Glock doesn't want to. They obviously don't see as much market for it as we do. Maybe they are right, maybe they are wrong.