Why Does the PPK Endure?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by MGGLOCK9, Oct 1, 2020.

1. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

2. WT

WT Millennium Member

As said above "It conceals well. With modern day ammo the caliber is adequate."

A local detective used his to cancel the birth certificate of a murderer. One shot to the face. Another detective I personally know carries it as his duty weapon. He likes its compact size and grip.

3. ak103k

ak103k

They were kind of a "gotta have" if you grew up back in the 60's and 70's.

Like a lot of things that look cool, with actual use, you come to find looks and cool dont always go together.

I had a couple of PPK's over the years, an older German PPK and one of the Interarm PPK/S's.

The German gun worked flawlessly, the Interarms not so much, and had some issues they never could get worked out.

Both were bloodthirsty, and I bled every time I shot them.

While accurate they really arent pleasant guns to shoot and their DA triggers are unnecessarily heavy.

Once I got to shoot a SIG P230, that was it for the Walthers. The SIG's are just as, if not more accurate, buttery smooth DA trigger, much better at handling recoil, and no more bleeding. :)

cbetts1 likes this.
  4. Gokyo

Gokyo

I have owned
    Ppk/s 22
    Pp in 32
    Ppk in 32
    Ppk/s in 32
    Ppk/s in 380

The 380 is terrible to shoot. I get pretty bad slide bit the 32. The 22 is a pretty sweet shooter. I keep buying them because of Bond Week then shoot it and remember why I sold the other ones.

The real reason I do not bother with the PP series is the Kahr P9 and PM9 are smaller, lighter, thinner, more powerful and more comfortable to shoot.

Since the Kahr line of pistols exist their is no reason to carry a PP series.

5. ak103k

ak103k

I feel the same way about the Glock 26. Its my "little gun" that actually gets used. :)

6. Darkangel1846

Darkangel1846

I got one for my wife 25 years ago, PPKS. I was amazed at how accurate it was at 25 yards. Easy to carry and quick action. My wife moved on to a bulldog .44, I kept the Walther for me. If it bites you web space then your holding it wrong.
    Feeds everything.

jhooten likes this.
  7. Green Dragoon

Green Dragoon

It's direct blow back and 9mm is a high pressure round.

ScarFace88 and 45caldan like this.
  8. Gokyo

Gokyo

Yeah it has nothing to do with the low bore axis, slide edges and grip design.

It is just my giants hands that are at fault

9. skl1

skl1

Mine is incredibly accurate, and (without tons of rounds through it) 100% reliable. It's a heavy little gun, so it doesn't really recoil with .380. It fits in a pocket. Don't love DA/SA in general, and don't like the Beretta style safety, but before the SIG P365, it was one of the best options for a cool, accurate package for pocket carry.

10. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

I agree. Bond... James Bond. It triggers recognition, nostalgia, and it is a sweet looking steel gun.

From the Interarms and Smith&Wesson Days it still was made. When the S&W manufacturing contract expired, Walther had to decide, and clearly thought they would sell.

It was an early example of a small carry gun (even if heavy), but by today's standards (size, weight, magazine capacity) it falls a bit short. But it does have style.

I have a SIG 232 stainless, and it is just a prettier gun than most. Same for a PPK. Between the two, I can do without the 007 connections, and will keep my blood. PPK is way worse for me with regards to slide bite. Not sure how the beaver tail of the new one is (same/different), but the PPK can be a bit fiesty on the range AND is known to bit. Kudo's to Walther for selling them, but I won't be adding to the sales count.

11. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

I think many will disagree with that comment. A high grip on this gun results in many people getting the web of their hand bit. Perhaps tiny, bony hands are all exempt, but many, many people note that these can bite. A similar gun (SIG 232) barely clears for me, and the PPK can bite. At least for me.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  12. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

If Bond is going to shoot the .32acp, he may as well cut the weight in half and carry the KelTec P32, save all those stitches on his hands, too.

boilergonzo likes this.
  13. Gray Dood

Gray Dood

I've never cared for the PPK, and especially not in 380.

The PP in 32 is another animal all together imo. Maybe the PPK in that caliber would be as well. PP, for me, was accurate, reliable, easy to conceal, and I've never had a slide bite. Don't currently own one, but I wouldn't pass up a good deal on one. To each their own.

On the flip side powerwise, I'm a BIG fan of Makarovs. Owned/carried one of those for awhile.

Just my $.02.

And yeah...Bond.

14. Judge Bean

Judge Bean

I had the Interarms version of the PPK/s. There were not a lot of reputable market options in that category back then. The Walther was highly reliable with round-nosed ammo, but anything else needed to be tested thoroughly before betting your life on it. The previously stated complaints are true, and I would not go back to it. It's a quaint nostalgia piece, but I don't have room for antiques.

15. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

Bond didn't choose the PPK, he was ordered to turn in his preferred Beretta .25 for it.

Tuscany and Rellik like this.
  16. seagravedriver

seagravedriver

Just about the same story for me. I bought the stainless Interarms in the mid/late 80s. For the time, it was a good concealment pistol for me, and there were multiple holsters available for it, Kramer being one of them. It worked well, I don't remember it having feeding/ammo, issues, it ate the ammo I gave it, which was everything from factory hollow points to re-loads. I even carried it as a back up on my vest when I was a reserve cop, so I had to qualify with it. James Bond? Naaaa. Didn't care what he said or did. I still have it, and it gets carried a fair amount.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    LPD ret. and Tuscany like this.
  17. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

Ian Flemming like a lot of writers didn't know guns very well. Beside the movies the books contain a lot of gun mistakes and errors. Besides, Europeans tend to be into whimpy handguns anyways so there's that.

When I had my FFL I ordered 10 Interarms Stainless PPKs for a corporate security protective detail. The security director was a former FBI agent. I tried to get them to buy S&W 669s which were about the smallest 9mms at the time small but he liked PPKs. Never had a problem with any of them from what I remember.

18. Wojo88

Wojo88

Nice, stepping up to a bigger caliber is always a good thing

19. FL-obiwan

FL-obiwan Retired Fed LEO. USMC late 1960s.

Back in the '60s it was the "hot ticket". There wasn't much else on the market. Mine would stovepipe with factory ball. Handloads always functioned if loaded hot. My grips cracked and eventually totally broke. Hogue wood grips took their place and I love them! My PPK loves CorBons and now it functions perfectly with ARX and HoneyBadger loads. Yes on the railroad tracks but not so much with the Hogues. It was my primary CCW for about 30 years and was perfect for what I needed at those times. I don't carry it much anymore but it's nice to have for nostalgia.

20. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

A modern-day James Bond could carry a two shot Derringer and feel pretty good about winning a gun fight, given anything more dangerous that a small butter knife is deemed too risky to allow most citizens to own and carry in Britain! A PPK is a veritable beast of a weapon where weapons are few!