close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Why does some ice dispensed from refrigerators taste horrible?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by IndianaMatt, May 28, 2012.

1. IndianaMatt

IndianaMatt

I was at my parents' place for a BBQ yesterday. They have a pretty new house and nice, new appliances (no more than 4-5 years old).

I got some ice from their fridge, the automatic dispenser type, and while it melted in my drink, my Dr. Pepper began to taste like a mix of hot dogs, frozen burritos, fish sticks, and old Chinese food. :upeyes:

I've encountered this phenomenon and friends' houses too. What is up with that?

2. Fiery Red XIII

Fiery Red XIII Adorkable CLM

Odors leech off the foods into the ice. Also, if the fridge does ice/water/etc., it should have a filter somewhere that probably needs to be changed.

Red

3. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

Fridges and freezers have odors, just not as noticeable. An open box of Arm & Hammer baking soda in both usually does the trick, unless you have something rotting in there.

4. Averageman

Averageman

3 Steps to good tasting Water and Ice.
    Arm and Hammer.
    Keep the leftovers count down.
    Change the filter every 6 mos.

5. Slackinoff

Slackinoff

I just cleaned my fridge for the same reason. I threw the junk out along with the old ice. Then I performed a diluted bleach scrub down. last but not least I set some baking soda out in the freezer.

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  6. Blaster

Blaster Hunc tu caveto

Also because the freezer typically is "frost free" and the constant temperature cycles effect the ice. You can watch the cubes shrink and discolor as they age. The fresher the ice the better.

7. byf43

byf43 NRA Endowment Life Member

Cures for 'nasty' ice:

Arm & Hammer box in fridge and freezer.
    In-line filter for water inlet to freezer.
    Replace filter on regular basis.

The LG fridge/freezer we bought dispenses some GREAT water and ice, BUT, the water filter is $50.00 each time you replace it.
    The filter has to be replaced every 50 gallons.
    (You know you have to replace the filter, when the water comes out in DROPS!!):rofl:

:crying:

:supergrin:

8. Drain You

Drain You NRA member

Mmhmm. Same thing that happens when you put tea/juice/kool aid in a container but don't close the lid. People that do that are DISGUSTING.

My sister & her kids were bad at this and her fridge always had old food in it. I usually drank water or canned cokes when I go over there.

9. TnGlocker12

TnGlocker12

You must have a really nasty water source. I have a GE that I replace the filters on about 6-8 months. I get my filters from filtersfast.com. They are the genuine thing and the price is a lot cheaper than the big box stores.

10. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

Yer average cheap big box appliance store suburban fridge freezer is a single compressor unit that ups efficiency by starting inflow of cold air to the freezer by taking pre-chilled air from the fridge. If the fridge hasn't been cleaned out of old produce, poorly wrapped cooked leftovers,, etc, any odors from fridge will move up in to the freezer and darn if the cubes arent sitting there in an uncovered bin, and freshly made for each batch as opposed to say, a chunk of meat that gets frozen and stays that way.

There are 3 ways to deal with this:

1. Scrupulously maintain your fridge's cleanliness. Wipe up any spills from meat you let thaw out, honcho the veggie crisper to make sure nothing going bad is in it, etc. and keep all food wrapped tight in odor proof containers. Then, regularly turn over your ice bin. For no reason other than its Thursday and you're going off to work and no one will be home all day, take the ice bin out, and dump it, no matter what is in it. Let it re-fill. DO THIS REGULARLY WHILE KEEPING YOUR FRIDGE CLEAN. If you see shrunken cubes in the bottom, its been too long. The cold air just pulls moisture out of them till they shrivel. Means its been too long, dump it cause it is nasty.

2. Spend 5k minimum, if not more on an expensive, but very high quality Sub-Zero brand fridge-freezer. They are the ****. They have multiple compressors, one dedicated JUST to the freezer section, and do not share air with the fridge.

3. For gourmet ice :supergrin: to make sure you have the purest, for say, using in expensive bourbon or scotch and can't do the first 2 items (family refuses to cooperate, whatever) get a pyrex dish with a sealable lid, and some clean yogurt cups or plastic vessels to make cubes out of spring water, then store the perfect cubes in the sealed container so yucky fridge air doesn't rancid them all up.

Or just buy those 7-11 bags and dump some into a covered container and store those and save for your favorite bevvie.

11. byf43

byf43 NRA Endowment Life Member

Water is actually pretty good, but, through the fridge's filter, it's REALLY good.

The LG papers say to replace the filter every 50 gallons.
    The water trickled out, just before we replaced the filter.
    (Original filter. May have been 'reduced capacity'.) :dunno:

12. juggy4711

juggy4711 Nimrod Son

In the immortal words of Marvin Zindler, "Slime in the Ice Machine!"

13. JMS

JMS 02

I buy them online for about 1/2 price, just an FYI.

14. pineappleshooter

pineappleshooter

You can also put more ice than you need in the glass and then rinse the cubes with tapwater. When you dump off the water you have clean (though smaller) cubes.

15. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

removing dead body from freezer usually works .