Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister-in-law bought a Shield EZ 380. When I was visiting with them I examined the gun, disassembled it and found that it shares a lot of similarities to the Colt 1908 pocket hammerless. Both are single action, internal hammer fired 380 pistols with a manual thumb safety and a grip safety that hinges at the heel of the grip. The S&W EZ is recoil operated and the 1908 is blowback. No doubt S&W drew some inspiration from the Colt 1908.
But it got me thinking. Why does no manufacturer use classic styling on guns but with modern internals? I'm not talking about 1:1 replicas of old guns. Just modern simple internals with a classic look on the outside.
Remington tried this with their R51. The problem was that the internal mechanics were some obscure operating system that turned out to be a complicated jumble of mechanical nightmares. I was so excited about that pistol until I saw the reviews with the constant malfunctions.
Just stick to a basic tried and true recoil mechanism but with classic styling. Bersa does this with their Thunder380, a modernized pistol that resembles a PPK. And the Bersa has much simpler internals than a PPK. It's not modern by todays standards but the Bersa was introduced in it's current form in 1995 vs the PPK in 1935.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory
Mammal Everyday carry Gun barrel Air gun Gun accessory

·
Registered
888 Posts
Are you familiar with the huge amount of companies making gi series 70 1911's. There was a recent glut of clones like the sa35. Springfield makes a m1a clone. They are out there.

Stop and consider all the cowboy action firearms and all the companies making those. From shotguns to saa. Lever guns are still popular as well.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you familiar with the huge amount of companies making gi series 70 1911's. There was a recent glut of clones like the sa35. Springfield makes a m1a clone. They are out there.

Stop and consider all the cowboy action firearms and all the companies making those. From shotguns to saa. Lever guns are still popular as well.
I was going to address 1911's but I didn't think I needed to. The 1911's, the Hi-power and the SAA are clones of firearms. It's the same design since their inception but with incremental changes over time. What I'm talking about are new designs. New guns that have classic styling.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I was going to address 1911's but I didn't think I needed to. The 1911's, the Hi-power and the SAA are clones of firearms. It's the same design since their inception but with incremental changes over time. What I'm talking about are new designs. New guns that have classic styling.
Ok let's talk about a few examples then to be specific. Ruger makes a saa with a transfer bar. I'd say that kinda covers the new technology for a classic style. Chiappa makes a saa with an extra spring on the hammer mounted firing pin that acts kinda a transfer bar unless you are holding down the trigger the firing pin will float around.

The plethora of high-power clones some of which got rid of the magazine disconnect. Heck even my sig 226 is a single action with a safety. Those came out in the mid 70's. Lots of examples.

·
AAAMAD
36,488 Posts
Ok let's talk about a few examples then to be specific. Ruger makes a saa with a transfer bar. I'd say that kinda covers the new technology for a classic style. Chiappa makes a saa with an extra spring on the hammer mounted firing pin that acts kinda a transfer bar unless you are holding down the trigger the firing pin will float around.

The plethora of high-power clones some of which got rid of the magazine disconnect. Heck even my sig 226 is a single action with a safety. Those came out in the mid 70's. Lots of examples.
To be fair, removing the magazine disconnect from the BHP is something almost everyone did anyways, so deleting it doesn't really strike me as "modern internals" because someone deleted something the end user usually did anyways.

More confused how you could look at a 1908 hammerless and think that it inspired a shield when they are different in virtually every way

·
Registered
604 Posts
My sister-in-law bought a Shield EZ 380. When I was visiting with them I examined the gun, disassembled it and found that it shares a lot of similarities to the Colt 1908 pocket hammerless. Both are single action, internal hammer fired 380 pistols with a manual thumb safety and a grip safety that hinges at the heel of the grip. The S&W EZ is recoil operated and the 1908 is blowback. No doubt S&W drew some inspiration from the Colt 1908.
But it got me thinking. Why does no manufacturer use classic styling on guns but with modern internals? I'm not talking about 1:1 replicas of old guns. Just modern simple internals with a classic look on the outside.
Remington tried this with their R51. The problem was that the internal mechanics were some obscure operating system that turned out to be a complicated jumble of mechanical nightmares. I was so excited about that pistol until I saw the reviews with the constant malfunctions.
Just stick to a basic tried and true recoil mechanism but with classic styling. Bersa does this with their Thunder380, a modernized pistol that resembles a PPK. And the Bersa has much simpler internals than a PPK. It's not modern by todays standards but the Bersa was introduced in it's current form in 1995 vs the PPK in 1935.
View attachment 1118008 View attachment 1118007 View attachment 1118014
This is what I have strapped to my belt right now. It’s a limited edition, but Beretta has similar all steel guns in the 92X line readily available for around $1,500. That’s as modern and classic as it gets nowadays.

Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Wood

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So take an existing (relatively unpopular) pistol and completely redesign the internals?

What sense does that make
[/QUOTE

I understand what you're saying. The SAS is an existing design, aesthetically. Im not saying take
This is what I have strapped to my belt right now. It’s a limited edition, but Beretta has similar all steel guns in the 92X line readily available for around $1,500. That’s as modern and classic as it gets nowadays.

View attachment 1118028
Great example. Beretta is doing it. It's a new modern design with classic styling. Not an existing classic design with 1 or 2 upgrades to meet modern tastes.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

View attachment 1118028
Great example. Beretta is doing it. It's a new modern design with classic styling. Not an existing classic design with 1 or 2 upgrades to meet modern tastes

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
To be fair, removing the magazine disconnect from the BHP is something almost everyone did anyways, so deleting it doesn't really strike me as "modern internals" because someone deleted something the end user usually did anyways.

More confused how you could look at a 1908 hammerless and think that it inspired a shield when they are different in virtually every way
I listed the ways they are similar. Just saying I'm wrong is not an argument.

·
Registered
13,435 Posts
I sort of want a wooden stocked AR-15 something:

Air gun Trigger Machine gun Line Gun barrel

·
Registered
15,228 Posts
I think you have to look very specifically at manufacturer’s and see that many do that. Sure there are guns that have been dismissed but there are many that have been brought back and some that never will…

·
AAAMAD
36,488 Posts
I listed the ways they are similar. Just saying I'm wrong is not an argument.
But its a factual statement. By that metric, almost every modern handgun is a "inspired" by the Borchardt C93. They look nothing alike, outside of the thumb safety they function nothing alike, use entirely different operating principles.

Great example. Beretta is doing it. It's a new modern design with classic styling. Not an existing classic design with 1 or 2 upgrades to meet modern tastes
I'm confused how you feel thats a "new modern design with classic styling" and yet discount the SA-35/FN HP/Garsan? Its literally the oldest iteration of the 92, with the vertex grip added.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Except for the safety design, all internals are of the original Seventies pattern rooted in the M1951, with a reinforced locking block. Works for me, especially with a David Sams AMU-pattern upper assembly with a conical bushing on the barrel, making a better than 2 MOA pistol at 50 yards.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts