Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They don't make sense to me and I think they use it only to be different from the other brands. Sig does the same thing by using a dot front and single bar rear. Both sight pictures are less than perfect imo!

I'm disapointed that my new Glock 19 came with the rear U sight and that I have to buy a 2 dot rear to complete the gun.

Am I missing something, what's the advantage of the rear U sight?

Seamaster

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
On a gun meant for close combat the u rear sight is fine. It gives you a quick front sight placement and shoot.
You have to remember that Glocks are not target guns. Never were meant to be.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
I like the rear "U" sights. That "Kinda" sold me on my first Glock(plus magazine capacity, reliability, etc, etc) :supergrin:

·
Registered
176 Posts
If you want two dots for a back sight take a black sharpie and color in the white line and leave you two dots on each side of the back sight. :supergrin:

·
Intergalactic
4,127 Posts
If you actually use the white outline, the Glock picture is very effective.

·
"The Chad"
182 Posts
I for one don't mind the stock goal post rear sight. I feel that i am quicker on target with them than my pistols with mepros.

·
Registered
173 Posts

After about 300 rounds through my g22 I just can't get used to the "ball in cup" look. IF I focus on the front sight as I should, the rear white outline is just not comming into my view/focus like two rear dots.

The only time I seem to acquire the picture is if I think about and look for the rear, and sure enough my accuracy is way off.

So far only trips to the range on sunny days. Maybe I have too much light...:cool:

·
Drop those nuts
9,539 Posts
I've always liked the rear U sight. I just wish you could get night sights that had the white U on them for daytime use, so you only had to use the three dots at night. I've got Ameriglo's on my G20 and I really miss the rear U.

·
Intergalactic
4,127 Posts
After about 300 rounds through my g22 I just can't get used to the "ball in cup" look. IF I focus on the front sight as I should, the rear white outline is just not comming into my view/focus like two rear dots.

The only time I seem to acquire the picture is if I think about and look for the rear, and sure enough my accuracy is way off.

So far only trips to the range on sunny days. Maybe I have too much light...:cool:
Yeah, it's better for "up close" situations and it will never be as accurate as using the actual sights.
I look through the rear sight and focus on the front sight.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Sight and target acquisition. It works, too.

Three of my five Glocks have the stock sight arrangement while two of them (one is my primary carry piece, a G23) have the factory night sights. I have also fired a G19 with very nice "standard" patridge sights designed for greater light allowed between the front post and rear notch. Nice sights.

·
Banned
5,557 Posts
I shot a friends firearm who's front sight fell off. I could shoot it decently accurate for combat closeness. We pulled one off his other glock 17 that had 3 dot night sights on it. We both shot the rear U sights better with no front sight.

No idea if there is a reason for it. We had free time and were bored and felt like experimenting. The U sight was easier without a front sight for us.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Changing sights on a gun is practically a given on any gun.

The Glock was designed for people who aren't shooters. The sights seem to have an uncommon resemblance to training wheels.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Like most other that have posted in this thread I really like the U+dot.
It is extremely fast to acquire and plenty accurate for SD work.

For slow fire, I just ignore the white and use the sights, which works very well.
I have 3-dot night sights on two of my Glocks (EDC and HD) which I think are necessary for their intended use, but the 3-dots are definately slower for me than the U+dot factory setup in good light.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Typical Glock thinking. It's a very simple sight that most anybody can understand. For the more skilled it can be used to quick combat accuracy. It works well in everything from full light to almost darkness. On top of all that, I doubt Glock has 5 cents in each pair.

No, they are not my favorite sight but for combat purposes, they are very good IMHO.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I have a huge problem with 3 dot sights. I shoot much better with the stock sights. That's why, when I went to night sights on my 27, I put the XS sights on there. I have a really hard time with my brain comprehending the 3 dots.

I have Meps on my 23 and they will be coming off in favor of the XS sights.

The 3 dot sights are much harder to acquire, at least for me. The only thing I find odd in the stock sights is that when you line up the tops of the sights, part of the dot on the front sight is actually behind the line in the U.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
I'm not a fan of the Glock sights at all. I love Glocks, and that's all I own but, the first thing I do when I buy a new Glock is, have Mepro night sights put on it. I shoot better up close and at a distance with them and they are better for low light conditions. I can shoot out the center of the target at 10 feet and out to 50 yards with Mepro's but, not with OEM sights. That's just from my personal experience. You need to see what works for you. It's okay to make sensible changes to your own firearm.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts