GlockTalk Forum banner

41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
The physics backs up your observation. Mine has also been the same with the G27 and G23, a bit less so with the G22.

And, the twisting nature of the .40sw recoil makes the increased recoil even worse for me too, especially the smaller the gun is. The recoil, for me, in Glocks, works directly on the muzzle, "twisting" it.

The G19, G23 and G32 is a perfect comparison platform (for free recoil energy) because for all-intents-and-purposes it's the same gun:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
180gr .40sw @ 950fps = 11.53 ft/lb
125gr .357sig @ 1350fps = 11.72 ft/lb
165gr .40sw @ 1150fps = 14.04 ft/lb

Data:
((125*1350+4700*5.0)/(7000))*((125*1350+4700*5.0)/(7000))/(64.34809711)/(1) = 11.72
((165*1150+4700*4.4)/(7000))*((165*1150+4700*4.4)/(7000))/(64.34809711)/(1) = 14.04
((180*950+4700*4.2)/(7000))*((180*950+4700*4.2)/(7000))/(64.34809711)/(1) = 11.53

Thanks Cole and thanks for looking up the numbers. It is nice to see what I felt.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I find that the way you grip you Glock makes a difference. Correct grip makes a lot of difference is hitting the target too.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
figure this out, cause i cant , for many years i carried a glock 23 at work 3rd gen, when i retired i happened to get a g23 2nd gen, i could not shoot the 3rd gen worth a damn, touch flip, so i turned it in and got another one, same thing....my second gen i shoot fine, in fACT as well and as accurate as a 9mm which i am very good with, i dont notice the recoil and i am very accurate with my 2nd gen g23, the only thing that comes to mind it the finger bumps, the 2nd gen does not have them.....ill never part with my 2nd gen g23....

·
Registered
9,189 Posts
Recoil is the result of gun weight, bullet weight and velocity. Chamber each round in an identical design pistol, with weight compensated to make mass equal. Make bullet weight in each caliber equal. Load to identical velocities. Recoil will be identical. The pressure at which the round operates is irrelevant.

Reality is that 9mm, .40 and .45 are loaded with different weight bullets and in dissimilar weight guns. So... jack a 180 gr. bullet out at about 1,000 FPS in a pistol originally designed around the 9mm and you will get more recoil that firing a 124 gr. bullet at 1,225 FPS. Fire the 180 gr. bullet at 1,000 FPS from a pistol designed around the .45 and you will get equal recoil to a .45 bullet at 1,000 FPS. Now if one pistol features a low bore axis, then it will give the shooter the perception that less recoil is produced. I have fired a couple of thousand rounds through my G-22. I find it a soft shooting pistol. The same loads fired in a Sig 226 are less comfortable.

Reactions: fredj338

·
Enjoying life!
839 Posts
I guess I don't understand the complaints about the .40's "snappiness" and "recoil".

To me, it's a very manageable, effective, and fun to shoot cartridge. Never had a bit of trouble with it's recoil.

'Course, I grew up shooting various full-powered loads from magnum revolver cartidges, and I've spend a bit of time working with my hands and arms, so maybe my wrists are stronger than some folks' wrists?

I've never had much time for nintendo and such.

;)

Daryl

Reactions: TxDave

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Regardless of the physics of the various calibers, so much of felt recoil is subjective and, I think, responds to your expectations. When concentrating on shooting (not recoil), I really don't feel a significant difference between my G23 and G30.

·
Registered
42,567 Posts

Years

Later

·
1,184 Posts
I love my G23... at the moment it's the only Glock I own. No problems with recoil. I've shot 9mm and .380, along with several .45 1911s I use to have. Due to a life crisis many years ago, I ended up having to sell all of all my toys. I've been slowly re-acquiring stuff, a Ruger .22, 870 shotgun, etc... my choice of handgun at this point is the G23. Long live .40S&W...

·
Registered
35,084 Posts
Put a 45 in the same size gun, recoil will feel very sim. Its just physics.

·
Registered
35,084 Posts
Reactions: 10or45

·
Registered
7,070 Posts
I don’t normally feel that much difference between 9mm and 40 S&W. Certainly both are very manageable for me. The platform does make a difference. An HK USPc will handle the recoil better in 40/357 than say a Glock because of the way it’s designed i.e. recoil reduction system. To me, a 40/357 in an HK is about the same as a 9mm in a Glock or comparable pistol.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I honestly do not feel much difference between the 9MM and the .40 S&W

Reactions: Deputydave

·
Registered
27,791 Posts
IT LIVES!! (Meaning resurrected thread. ;) )

Still a perennial topic among many shooters, though.

I've seen some guys & gals slowed and affected by the felt recoil impulse of the .40, no matter how slowly or rapidly they were shooting under average range training/qual stress.

The more I trained using my issued or personally-owned .40's, the better I did with them and the less I noticed the muzzle whip/snap ... and the less it was reflected in my down-range accuracy of hits.

It eventually reached a point where I could run similarly sized 9's and .40's during the same range session, at speed for demanding drills, and not notice any difference in perceived recoil, controllability or accuracy.

Well, periodic training and recurrent practice can help in that regard. ;)

Now, for the average/occasional range shooter, especially shooting slowly for target practice? The occasional weekend range/leisure shooter?

He/she would understandably be paying more attention to anticipating the recoil impulse and having more time to "feel" and experience the effects of it.

Of course, the specific make/model of the pistol chosen can also contribute to the experience. Some folks like the way a heavier (all-steel, larger, etc) pistol helps "absorb" and mitigate the felt recoil effects ... and yet another shooter might feel the extra weight/mass of the same pistol transmits "more" felt recoil, because the heavier pistol starts pushing back in their hand.

There's always the shooter-involved perspective to consider.

Now, accelerating a heavier bullet to a similar velocity of a lighter bullet does tend to produce more equal & opposite effect, so there's that to consider, too.

Then, there's the dwell time of the recoil impulse and effect against the shooter's hand/wrist to consider, and how any particular shooter might experience that ...

We can measure produced recoil force with a gauge, but that doesn't necessarily mean every shooter will interpret their experience according to the lbs/force registered by the gauge. ;)

The .40 does tend to produce a bit more muzzle rise/whip than the 9mm. Whether and how that may affect any particular shooter needs to be determined on a case-by-case basis.

Most range sessions I couldn't tell you whether I was shooting standard pressure 9mm, +P or +P+, even when mixed into the same mag load.

Some days while shooting my G26/27, or my 3913/4040PD, I can't tell the difference between them as far as "felt recoil", especially when focusing on running rapid and accurate shot strings, identifying multiple threat v. non-threat targets, moving, using cover barricades, going from standing to kneeling, etc. Too much else going on to stop and take notice of any subtle differences. The trick, however, is to have developed the skills needed to make sure the accuracy remains the same, regardless of the caliber and loads involved. ;) Training and recurrent practice can help. Years of trigger time.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
I was shooting with a coworker , he was shooting a 21 , 17 and 19 . I was shooting my 23 . We traded pistols , the first thing that he said was this thing is radical . The first thing that I said was , I can’t believe how accurate your 21 shoots .

·
Registered
10,770 Posts
I've yet to shoot any .40S&W pistol that I've liked. The .357sig gets a lot of flak for recoil but I can squeeze three aimed rounds off versus one from the .40S&W, practically the same as with my 9mm pistols.

41 - 60 of 90 Posts