close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Why do we use the electoral college system to elect presidents?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Annoyedgrunt, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Annoyedgrunt

Annoyedgrunt Dry Heat my ASS

I don't really get this.

Every election, all we hear is "It's close, he really needs to win Ohio and Florida" or "If he doesn't win California, he can fuhgettaboutit."

Rhetorically speaking, why even let anyone else vote, then, who aren't in Ohio, Florida or California, or the other "swing states", if it always seems to come down to these states?

And on the other side of the coin, you have people in states like Idaho (4) or Montana (3) who, by the very fact of those low electoral counts, say "Well, there's no point in me voting, it won't make a difference."

What is wrong with using just the popular vote? On Election Day, each person gets one vote, they get tallied up, and he with the most votes wins. Seems easy enough... :dunno:

2. Ragnar

Ragnar

The Electoral College was designed to prevent mob rule. With the popular vote, in theory the big states would swamp the vote from the small states. That wouldn't be fair representation of their interests.

The truth is that you don't want to live in a real democracy. It would suck harder than what we have now.

3. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Yep.

It's funny but when Dubya won, the libtards were whining about why majority votes didn't win the day. My take is that the libtards are about as well educated as the neocons when it comes to American civics.

4. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

So, you don't mind that the New Yorkers and the Californians to speak for you and your wants?

5. thetoastmaster

thetoastmaster NOT a sheepdog!

Without the electoral college Los Angeles, New York City, and Chicago would choose every president. Can you imagine the trash they would endorse every cycle?

For more on the topic, Google "Urban Archipelago".

6. OctoberRust

OctoberRust Anti-Federalist

beat me to it. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

7. JW1178

JW1178

Designed to maybe but doesn't because the big states do still swamp the small states. Still, the electorial is proportionate to the population of the state, so it's basically the same thing. In fact, it makes Obama look like he won both elections by a large majority, but in fact, he one by just about 2%.

If we were allowed to vote for all major laws, the AWB would have never passed, the Iraq war II would have never happened, Obamacare would have never happened. Bush would have not been elected if we went by popular vote, and I think it's safe to say that we have Obama, because of Bush. Who knows, it might have been worse, but really, how?

8. Annoyedgrunt

OK. In that light, it makes a bit more sense.

9. Z71bill

Z71bill

Imagine every election that was close - causing 50 state wide recounts - the legal challenges would never stop.

Give the framers some cred - they got it right.

10. JW1178

JW1178

Here is another factor, can't remember the exact numbers or the source, but you can add it up. Kind of extreme, but somehow, it's possible.

We have two candidates: Candidate A and Candidate B.

Candidate A wins 100% of the popular vote in the states he wins. Well, he wins the wrong states, and doesn't quite make it to 270.

Candidate B wins just a hair over 50% in the states he wins and manages to win the states with the largest amount of electorials per population and manages to get just enough states to cross that 270 line. (Even if he had 100% of the popular vote in those states, he would have still lost the popular vote)

Literally, in this extreme scenereo, Candidate B wins the election with less than 25% of the votes.

11. Annoyedgrunt

I believe I've just been insulted.

Fisticuffs at dawn? :fist:

12. ray9898

ray9898

Disappointing....this is the same argument proposed by the other side when Bush won but lost the popular vote.

13. Z71bill

Z71bill

Do the math again - small states have a larger voice in the electoral college then they would if it was just add up all the votes.

Side note -

How many votes do you need to be elected senator from North Dakota - how may votes to be elected senator from California?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  14. eb07

eb07 Sharkin'

Mob rules = three wolves and a sheep voting what to have for dinner

15. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

"The People" were never really meant to elect federal offices with the exception of the House. "The People" tell "The State" how they would like their state to vote then "The State" takes that suggestion and actually casts the vote via the electoral college

16. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

I think the electoral college system needs to be enhanced, not destroyed. But the majority of people in the US think it should be eliminated. Elimination would probably make it somewhat easier for a third party to gain traction. It would be somewhat interesting if we changed the system such that the candidate who won the most states would be elected- wonder how that would change campaigns LOL?

17. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Shirley, you jest!!!

18. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

Things have changed since there were 13 states, though. Even with the electoral college system today the small states don't have much of a say compared to be big ones.

19. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

There are apartment complexes in most cities that have more voters than Wyoming has in total population. That's why. HH

20. Bruce M

Bruce M

I have to think that at least a little bit of it also had to do with the fastest communication at the time was a letter which took more than a couple days to get from the north end of the new states to the south end of the new states.