close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Why do we allow user names like "Serial Killer"?

Discussion in 'Announcements & Support' started by Headshrinker, May 16, 2002.

1. Headshrinker

Headshrinker

I find it offensive to have user names that promote our site in this fashion. On a personal note, this particular individual made a comment on the death of a fellow GT'er that should ban him/her from posting here.

2. George in TX

George in TX Millennium Member

Having seen the comment referred to, I agree that this user and his repulsive user name both need to be bounced off of this board! :rolleyes:

3. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

Please PM the Mod. of that section.
    Thanks

4. ubimow

ubimow

I agree, we are suppose to use are guns to protect ourselves from people like that! I don't think that this forum should allow or support that type of person or that type of thinking!!!! It's just the kind of thing that gives the ANTI'S more ammo to use against us!

5. PACKIN' PLASTIC

PACKIN' PLASTIC 4,500+ posts

Should we ban names like Headshrinker too?

PP:rolleyes:

6. Ljunatic

Ljunatic On The Fringe

I suppose LJUnaTIC is out too?

7. Glock_36

Glock_36 Jason

Our ForeFathers and A Lot of Americans since have died for Our Freedoms as Americans. The Bill of Rights give us Freedom of Speech. Now Everyone is not going to agree with Everyone a 100% of the time. I am not sticking up for what Serial Killer said, but I am sticking up for His Right to Say what he wants. People will be Mad at what I am saying and that is their Right as an American. We can't start needling away at these Rights or before you know it Our Rights will be Gone.
    Thank You,
    Glock_36

8. PACKIN' PLASTIC

PACKIN' PLASTIC 4,500+ posts

Glock_36,

This is a private board, not a public one.

Freedom of speech does not apply in anothers home, or their forum.

PP

9. Westicle

Westicle Canadian... Eh

Frankly I think the headshrinker is playing games with our head.... so what serial killer asked "what gun did he use"

maybe he didn't believe the story or maybe he has a sick and twisted humour like my self..... who cares, fred locked the thread and if further action is needed then fred will take care of it.

I don't think he should be banned due to his name and one off hand comment.

10. Arbee

Arbee

Back to to the main point of this thread. Eric - I have made this point before: Can you turn off our ability to change the label under our names? The option to put ANYTHING in that line creates a bad situation. There are a number of offensive lines, and it is not realistic to expect the Moderators to keep up with this. Violent or otherwise inappropriate labels do damage to the identity of GT and the generally civil tone of the site.

And on the other point, it is not a free speech issue. You don't have the right to say just anything you wish here, anymore than you have the right to come into my house and write obscenities on my walls or insult me or my friends. There are house rules here. They are generally reasonable (to me) and one of the reasons I come here is the generally civil tone.

11. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

I have to agree that "serial killer" is probably not in line with what you would want to see on a family oriented site. But it's up to the mods. That's what they're there for.

On the other hand, the guy who put "seen-your-member" cracks me up. Appropriate? Maybe not, but not a joke about anything illegal and it's funny as heck.