Why do they want to ban AR's??

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Poppa Bear, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Poppa Bear

Poppa Bear Protective G'pa CLM

I think of things as I drive and I thought of this one today.

On Youtube as well as national TV you see videos of people shooting/using M4's/M16's/AR's. They break down into groups as the public sees them.

1. Military- they are OK. They are tools being handled by professionals.

2. LE- They are OK. They are tools being handled by professionals.

3. Competitive top ranked shooters like Jerry, Jessie, Taran etc. as well as some of us lowly B/C/D class shooters. They are OK. They are tools being handled by professionals.

4. People demonstrating their AR.- This gun is so evil and dangerous. Why? because these videos are usually some guy holding an AR and we get to watch how quick he can empty a 30 round magazine as the camera focuses on his trigger finger. We never see his target. It is some guy throwing a box/can/piece of garbage 20 feet out or into the water where we get to watch how quickly he can empty a 30 round magazine at it. They are dangerous because they are toys being handled by overgrown kids.

When the general public thinks of people with AR's which group do they think of as the normal AR owner?

Now contrast this with the average "hunter" video. We see a guy taking his time. He squeezes off a shot, checks his scope, settles in for his next shot. We see 1 shot every 10 to 15 seconds, and when he is done we see a great close up of the beautiful 3 shot group he produced at 100 yards.

Who comes to mind when the general public thinks of a gun owner and how dangerous their guns are. It is not the hunter because he is so slow and careful. There is no way he could shoot quickly enough to cause any actual damage. There should be no problem with restricting magazines to 10 rounds. That is way more than any hunter needs.

So how do we as the gun culture change peoples attitudes towards guns like AR's? I think one way is to educate more shooters to be responsible when they post videos to places like Youtube. Seeing a someone shoot an AR at a reactive ball and make it dance across the range with a shot every second or so suggests skill. Hearing rapid fire but seeing a nice tight group appear on the target/targets suggests skill. Seeing the shooter pop up and down into various positions and placing the shots all on target suggests skill. More videos of skilled, safe, responsible gun handling that demonstrates the AR as a functional and useful tool and not the dangerous toy/weapon it is portrayed to be by the media.

What are your thoughts? Are we our own worst enemy by demonstrating how quickly we can put rounds down range without regard to how the general public might perceive it?

2. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

i think it doesnt matter to the lefties , anything to get their agenda going . half of them prolly dont even know what an AR is . there are powers at work to reach one common goal and its to disarm citizens and make rules they think is right .

but you can bet your ass once foot is in the door , it will one thing after another, we are heading to a bad spot in this country , and time will tell

3. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

Stop trying to use logic. Nothing is real in the game of emotions.

With a strong enough campaign people could be convinced that water is should be banned

For example:

http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html

Yet, people get into cars everyday, with their kids and go places....and there are few things the average person does more dangerous than that.

Most people only care how they feel. Their feelings and what they see (think they see) are the only things that are real to them. If you dont truly understand that, you are, to some degree like that as well.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  4. Mad Ryan

Mad Ryan

I honestly believe the politicos want to get rid of them because you can't lay down effective cover fire or any of the other things necessary for an effective modern insurgency without a relatively high rate of accurate fire and decent ammo capacity.

Being able to keep people's heads down while you pull back is a handy thing when staying alive.

5. mixflip

mixflip

It been said clear as day on MSNBC why they want to ban these death machines.

WE MUST BAN THEM TO SAVE LIVES!!! ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!!

Even though military style semiautomatic rifles account for 1% of all firearms deaths in America. Cant you see the passion and anger when they scream this mantra against the back drop of an AR15 being shot on your TV screen? What is wrong with you people?

NOBODY NEEDS 10 ROUNDS TO KILL A DEER!!!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  6. Mad Ryan

Mad Ryan

IMO, if you look at the militarization of the police over the last 35 or so years with the "War on Drugs" and the action by states to legalize pot you can kinda see the writing on the wall.

Pretty soon you're going to have a bunch of SWAT teams without a mission. The Prison industry is largely privatized so they need a fresh supply of Felons to keep them profitable.

This should create another juicy black market and even more violence. Win Win for the big Crime industry.

7. hpracing007

hpracing007

I don't think that's it... there was no youtube when the last AWB was passed. There has always been people who dislike them. They feel we don't need them.

But as we know, it's not about need but want, and freedom, ect ect.

8. Poppa Bear

Rabbi I know that logic is the wrong thing to use. People do not care about the facts or the evidence. it is all about how it is spun.

9. stevelyn

stevelyn NRA Life Member

You are giving our enemies too much of the benefit of doubt. You are assuming those people are misguided, but otherwise reasonable. They are not.

The AR and similar semi-auto rifles gives us a little small arms parity of force with the govt. The enemy understands that. THAT is why they want them gone. They hate us and they hate our freedom. It is in the way of their Marxist goals.

10. 427

It's symbolism over substance and the left loves symbols. It represents what the left hates about the "bitter clingers".

11. mike from st pe

mike from st pe

So the same argument can be made for the real AWB aka the GCA 1934.
    Prohibition came to an end in 1933 and with nothing to do FedGov had to come up with some other prohibited thing to send the Tax agents after.

12. Kona2004

Kona2004

Even more confusing to me is the bayonet lug issue. How many times has a bayonet been attached to a weapon and used to commit a crime? How many people that own AR's even have a bayonet? I personally have one that has been attached to my rifle twice just to snap some pics of my M16A4 clone.

13. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

I couldn't have said it better myself.

:agree:

14. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

I just have to point out that the militarization of police is a bunch of bs that dates back to when we were a British colony. Hell the lawmen of the old west were often armed with better weapons then the army, they used lever actions before the army and so on. They used Thompson submachine guns before the army thought of it. Just had to point out the fallacy of the argument.

15. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

Progressives want to eliminate guns in the hands of citizens for obvious reasons. ARs are a good target of opportunity to further their agenda. They are sick enough to use dead children as props.

No doubt unless the people take back control of the country, legislators will eventually continue down the road from partial bans to registration to total bans and confiscation.

16. Leigh

Leigh

OP, your first problem is actually worrying as to how the anti-gun crowd think we "appear" as gun owners.

News flash, folks....ANTI-gun is ANTI-gun. I am sick and tired of so many of you so-called "gun owners" trying to persuade the Left that we are responsible individuals.

To those of you who think that appeasing the Left has any postive benefits, all I can say is give it a break, "McCain" and quit trying to somehow soften the view of others with some foolish "reaching across the aisle" bullzhit.

For every single "We need to show gun owners in a postive light" I see truly misinformed people who are completely clueless to the Left's agenda.

Wake up, call & write your elected officials, join the NRA (or some similar organization) and for GOD'S SAKE, quit appearing to look like a bunch of spineless APOLOGISTS!

17. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Because they're an easy target to start banning guns with.

The end result wanted is a ban on firearms in civilian hands, make no mistake.

18. Huaco Kid

Huaco Kid

For the same reason they want to ban Big Gulps and candy cigarettes...

because we let them.

19. Bruce M

Bruce M

I am fairly certain that especially in the urban areas, even with no new gun laws and even if marijuana were to be decriminalized about everywhere, that the police departments and SWAT/SRT/ESU/HRT guys will continue to have far to do than they can keep up with. One tidbit I would use to bolster that idea is the types of calls some agencies no longer even respond to because of manpower issues or calls that they put on a list to respond to "maybe tomorrow."

Is there only the gun rights side and the Left's agenda side? Are there no people in the middle? None who may not be ambivalent but might be swayed by someone who appears not to different from themselves?

20. Poppa Bear

That is where I stand to. I look at it as my duty to inform those in the middle with facts and not spin. As the saying goes "You can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make him drink"

I like to lead them into making their own decision. I had a discussion not to long ago about teachers having guns. The other party was just adamant that teachers not have guns. I asked them if someone came into the building with the intent of harming the students if they felt safer if I had a gun. Their response was "Yes, but you are different". I then asked them if they had any teachers in their school that they would trust with a firearm. Again the answer was yes, but they felt that ALL teachers should not be armed. It took a couple of minutes but I got them to finally realize that the discussion was NEVER about arming ALL of the teachers, but rather arming those with the desire and ability to handle firearms in a safe manner, AND will to use that firearm to protect the kids in their school. Oh, in that case I do not have a problem with it.

I look at the AWB in the same light. Educate those in the middle because they are the ones that will decide who gets re-elected. They are the ones that will tell their peers that they felt the same way until they had a chance to learn the issues without having it spun to them.