close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Why do the Glocks Shoot so damn soft?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by SKYWLKR, Sep 29, 2003.

1. SKYWLKR

SKYWLKR

???????

it's like a smaller round in a bigger gun.

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

The polymer frame absorbs some recoil, plus the thickness of the grip distributes it over a larger area. The Magic of Glock.

3. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

:) Yup, 'DannyR' is right: The polymer frame does soften recoil; but I've been playing with this idea for the past couple of months; and I've formed a, somewhat, different opinion.

This should get a few replies: I believe that the standard GLOCK recoil spring assembly is, both, too light as well as too soft. (for lack of a better word) I think - I THINK - that this soft recoil setup might be a significant contributor to GLOCK'S mysterious, 'firing out-of-battery' problems.

I, also, will NOT load, either, +P or other top end loads in my GLOCK pistols. In one sentense: 'The greater the case pressure, the greater the risk.' In a GLOCK too much slide speed HAS to be a bad thing.

(Hmmmm, I wonder if I'll hear back on any of this?) ;)

Regards, 'AA'

4. davesglock30

davesglock30

the low bore axis helps too. it keeps the front of the gun from kicking up as much.

5. CCV

CCV Millennium Member

OK, I'll bite. Where you going with the "slide speed" comment?

6. vafish

vafish

I thought Glocks liked hot ammo????

7. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

:) I, only, have about 14 months' experience shooting a GLOCK. 95% of this experience involves firing Model 21's. So, the truth is that I'm, just, learning.

Now, here's the thing: One night I do a web search and come up with about a dozen, 'GLOCK This 'n That' web sites to investigate. GLOCK TALK is one of them. My initial impressions of this site are (1) It's an, unusually, well-designed web site. (2) There's a lot of GLOCK information, here. (3) No matter which GLOCK is owned, many, many owners absolutely love their particular pistol(s).

There is, however, a (4) Maybe, GLOCK TALK isn't the best place to inquire about negative information and reports listed on numerous other sites around the internet. Over the past 18 months I have invested, something like, $1,400.00 into GLOCK pistols. I don't regret these decisions; what I am concerned about are these reports that my G-21's may blow up in my hands! This isn't unreasonable; is it?

After weeks of web searching and reading the comments of numerous posters, I have formed several preliminary opinions: (1) These problems are real and increase in frequency above the 9mm GLOCK product line. (2) Because of the very large numbers of GLOCK pistols involved, these reports are, probably, significantly exaggerated and out of proportion to the median frequency of total GLOCK useage. (3) Precautions and remedies DO EXIST and need to be ferreted out.

This is what I would like other GLOCK owners to help me with. GLOCK TALK may, or may not, be an appropriate site to discuss technical details of this nature. I'm not looking for opinions, here; I prefer to deal in more than, just, 'incident reports.' What I am looking for is empirical opinions, (conclusions) from others who have had these experiences; and methods used to, both, correct and prevent further occurrences.

As far as I am concerned, I don't want one of my G-21's blowing up in my hand. Of all the reading I have done the guy who makes the most sense to my mind is John Hollister over at, 'Tactical Forums' http://64.177.53.248/, 'Ground Zero', '.40 GLOCK Kabooms'.

As of May 31, 2003, Mr. Hollister offers the most cogent remarks that I have encountered so far. His credentials, if accurate, are impressive: He is a Senior GLOCK Armorer, factory-certified by 7 other firearm companies to repair their sidearms; and he is employed as a full-time police armorer. He does an excellent job of explaining, the appearance of an incipient GLOCK problem; but he doesn't go into any of the reasons, 'Why' these problems are occurring.

I would like to know; and I intend to keep on looking. I would, also, like to discuss this phenomenon with other GLOCK owners. (Yes, I am going to keep my GLOCK 21's. I shoot them well; and I like the many features the overall GLOCK design package offers me.)

As I've said, GLOCK TALK may, or may not, be the best web site to pursue this investigation; however, like a pimple on a beautiful woman's nose, these GLOCK problems are real and difficult to overlook.

I've, already, stated what I suspect and listed the initial solutions I'm trying out on my GLOCKS. This inquiry will, 'fly' here, or it will not. Either way, I'm able to live with the results. If we may talk about these things, here, fine. If not this thread will expire; and we'll, all, go on to other places and subjects.

To directly answer your question; 'Yes, I BELIEVE that chamber pressure and slide speed are directly related to the kB! phenomenon in GLOCK pistols. What I am curious to discover is, 'What' you think and, 'Why'? ;)

Regards, 'AA'

8. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Lifetime Member Millennium Member

I'm no armorer, but I worked/shot at a range with most of the Glock line in use (including the .40s) with dirty ammo (range reloads) and multi-thousands of rounds per month downrange through them. I've been shooting other people's Glocks for years and mine for 3+ now (about 5,000+ through my G30) and carrying it since 2000.

I've never personally seen a KaBoom, though reliable people who know their weapons have described them to me. I've never heard of a confirmed report on any KaBoom other than in a .40 that I can think of. Other than using lead bullets, overpressured reloads or reloaded cases that have been used too many times, I don't know of any reason for one to KaBoom in the first place.

You're safe with your G21 if you don't do any of the above. I don't even shoot reloads in my G30 (nowhere to reload).

9. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

grab ahold of a g36 with +p's in it!

10. pangris

pangris Moderator

I do at least once a month. No issue in a G36 with WInchester RA45T.

Paul

11. vafish

vafish

No problem with my g36 and +P.

I've just started shooting mine in USPSA Limited 10 I'm happy with my performance there.

12. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

i have no problems either, but as the initial poster asked about them shooting soft......i will say that to me the g36 with +p's is not a soft shooter. i need a bull barrel model 10 with wadcutters to say it is "soft shooting". guess i took him too literaly.

13. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

Slide speed is really easy to control by using recoil spring weights that are appropriate for caliber and load. Wolff's guidelines for determining recoil spring weight make sense to me. I've shot thousands of .400 Cor-Bons and .40 Supers through one of my G21's, using appropriate recoil spring weights. My Glocks show no slide peening and no evidence of wear.

I concur about the combination of the wide grip, polymer frame's flexing, and low bore axis.

BTW, Arc Angel, if you don't, stop, putting commas, where they, don't belong, I'm going, to go, nuts! ;)

14. vafish

vafish

Cowby,

Sorry, misunderstood you. I would not call th G36 recoil light either, but it's not bad.

15. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

:) Hey, Walter, (Commas of, both, interruption and direct address) watch this!

Now would be a good time for you to post that chart of applicable spring weights you're talking about. I know, I'd like to see it! (Comma after a short introductory phrase - particularly useful because of the omission of an appropriate conjunctive, 'that')

By the way, (Comma which sets off a non-essential phrase) you seem to know a lot about GLOCKS. How about sharing your thoughts on exactly, 'Why' so many G-22's and, sometimes, G-21's occasionally go, kB!

Ref: preceding paragraph, (, 'Why') A comma may be used to precede an item contained inside quotation marks - especially if that item is worthy of special emphasis; and ('sometimes') two commas may, also, be employed to separate a non-essential interruptive expression. Additionally, that semi-colon you, just, read-through interrupts two independent clauses.)

Tell you what, Walter, I'll give you, some, credit for having a, somewhat primordial, sense of humor, (comma separating a long introductory participial phrase) if you'll admit that I didn't sleep through English class. OK? (Wasn't this last paragraph, stunning; see, 'What' I can do when I, really, set my mind to it!)

Now, to lapse into the venacular: I may not know as much about GLOCK pistols as you do; but, let me ask you this: 'Otherwise, 'How' am I doing; is the spelling all right; does my syntax meet with your approval; or do these things, also, irritate you?' Am I getting through to you, guy?

Be careful about your reply, Walter; I've got plenty of more commas ready and waiting to be used!

PS: I, still, think you should stick to GLOCKS; you're, obviously, very knowledgeable about them! ;)

Regards, 'AA'

16. LGCubana

LGCubana Guns & Cigars

From what I've read, I would think that the 30 stands out as a Glock that can take +P since the frame was designed for the 10mm's.

17. Jimenez507

Jimenez507

going to go get my nachos and beer for this one!!! Come on Walter pound this guy to the floor. Oh yeah, Guys I got $10 on Walter^5