close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Why Do People Think Slugs Are Inaccurate?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by CCF, Apr 12, 2006.

1. CCF

CCF

I recently bought a New England Firearms (H&R) "Pardner Pump Protector" (great gun for $169, IMO). It's a 12-guage with a 3" chamber & an 18.5" barrel. I've been experimenting with different sizes of shot as well as slugs. The accuracy of the slugs really surprised me. I've always heard they're fairly inaccurate, but that's not been my experience so far. Using Remington's "Slugger" 2-3/4" rifled slugs while shooting off-hand, I'm able to get 4" groups at 50 yards with a traditional bead sight. It's not rifle-type accuracy, but isn't that pretty good?

I wouldn't be afraid to take a 75-yard shot at a deer with more practice. I could always try some kind of an optic to improve accuracy, as well. This 1-oz. hunk of lead travels at 1200-1300 FPS. Any thoughts on the subject?

2. CCF

CCF

BTW, I know this gun is designed more for HD, but it did come with a plug. It also has sling studs & is drilled for a scope mount. Those features make it a decent deer gun as well as a defense gun.

3. nyredneck

nyredneck كا&

I have an Ithaca Deerslayer 12 gauge with a Hastings rifled barrel that shoots 3" groups at 100 yards. I have taken deer out to 125 yards with it. However a slug's trajectory tends to look like rainbow at that range. Buy the best slugs you can afford and shoot, shoot, shoot the gun to know it.
    Stay safe and shoot straight!!

Redneck out!:supergrin:

4. lcarreau

lcarreau Reload Artist

They dont shoot .308 groups at 100 yards.

-Lonnie

5. suckersrus

suckersrus

"Why Do People Think Slugs Are Inaccurate?"

'Cause they used to be.

Many years ago we had what we called "Punkin Balls". They were a ball of lead that pretty much rolled out the barrel when fired. Where they hit, no one knew. Because they threw a full ounce of lead they were deadly at extreme close range. Shotgun sights were a single large bead - not exactly precise.

Then, along came slugs. A lead ball with a lead skirt. A slightly better design but the same old choked shotgun barrels didn't shoot them well.

Now we have specialized barrels with sights or even scopes and many are rifled to fire only slugs. And the slugs typically are saboted. Very high tech. Two-inch groups at 100 yards is not unheard of. Kills at 200-yards are becoming more common.

"Punkin Ball" is a lot more fun to say "Saboted Slug". Especially after having a couple slugs of 'shine then telling a hunting story.
    Damn I'm old.
    HahahahahaBangrollrollrollthumpplop. LMBOWSPB (Laugh My Butt Off While Shooting Punkin Balls)

6. major

major Rejected member

I have taken courses where we shot shotguns with slugs at 100 yards. Yes, they are pretty accurate at that range.

7. noway

noway

nyredneck has it right.

One thing about slugs you have different accuracy based on the slug. A sabot style normally is more accurate than a foster or brenneke style. Also smoothbore vrs rifled barrels provides different levels.

8. nyredneck

nyredneck كا&

I just had to quote that to show my Wife. See honey, I do get it right once in a while!!:supergrin: