close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Why do people say they can ccw a g19, but not a g17?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Base50, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Base50

Base50

I was talking with a friend the other day who was telling me how he can cc his g19 all the time. I asked if he likes the 17, but he told me its impossible for him to conceal it. So i took out my g17 and put it up to the g19. Literally, the grip length is not that much taller on a g17 than a g19. As we know, its usually grip length that affects concealment. Barrel length just affects comfort. Anyways, I put the g19 in my ccw holster and it was ok. But i have to be honest, the g19 still prints in circumstances where the g17 prints. I think going to a g26 would definitely be a much bigger difference. I wish I would have taken pics to show you what Im talking about, but I only have a g17 for now. For someone who owns a g17 and g19, take pics of it in your iwb holster so people can see the difference. Make sure your just wearing a t-shirt. Then cover the gun with your t-shirt and bend over. I guarantee we will see a buldge with the g17 and g19. For people that say their g19 doesnt print, well, I think it does slightly and they just dont realize it.

Skeeterhawk and hairy1harry like this.
  2. OBG17

OBG17

I carry both of them equally well with the right clothing and holster. But a person's body type will be an important factor of whether they feel comfortable or not carrying the 17. Another factor is if they prefer to carry a smaller gun.

3. nevernuffglock

nevernuffglock

I carry a 19 most times, but I can conceal carry a 17. This is appendix carry. It is easier to conceal a 26/27 though for sure.

4. Keith Pierson

Keith Pierson Exploring Alternate Routes

An inch or even a half inch in grip length or barrel length will make a huge difference. One or the other can be overcome at a decent rate, and as noted, body type makes a difference as well. Where you carry is a major concern as well. Anyone carrying 3-6 O'clock will print in varying degrees when bending over.
    I don't find much difference between the G26 and the G23 for carry, but the G22 is a bit much in barrel length.

YMMV

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  5. sirgarreth

sirgarreth

For some reason, I find the G22 more comfortable to carry than my G23. Probably because of where the end of the grip ends up. Don't know so actually been carrying the G22 more often. I use a Comp-Tac M-Tac.

6. H&K .45 AUTO

H&K .45 AUTO 10-42

I think that the difference in size between the 17, and 19 does make a difference although I agree that most people who say that their 19 doesn't print are fooling themselves. I've carried a lot of pistols "concealed" over the years to include such behemoth's as a full sized 1911 a Beretta M9, and an H&K USP .45 full size on the larger end of the spectrum. I've never been called out for carrying any of them, although I've never really been concerned because my State doesn't prohibit "printing", and because I'm an LEO so it doesn't matter anyway.

What caused me to rethink the pistols that are truly concealable was a guy who said he picked his carry gun based upon the fact that it MUST remain undetected. His (rather lucrative) job depends on it not being noticed. He said that he imagined himself visiting a hostile foreign country where they wouldn't pat you down, and they wouldn't use metal detectors or x-rays... But, if they saw the outline of what they thought was a pistol... They would kill you.

As far-fetched as it sounded for me, it did cause me to realize how important it is for some people to keep their pistol extremely discreet. When I looked at my own carry pistols with this in mind, I realized that mine were not as "concealed" as they really should be. This led me to discover that my 19 is best suited to reside in my duty holster except under limited circumstances, and I became acquainted with the 42, and 43.

Those two guns have become my favorites for concealment purposes, and they are both comforting and comfortable to carry. I've found that while my 19 CAN be concealed effectively, it's not ideal for that purpose. I'd find the 17 to be entirely out of the question for me these days except perhaps under my winter coat. Even then... Why bother when it would be less comfortable than my other options? I feel well protected by what I'm carrying now.

7. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Well then the G17 prints even more.

8. Valmet

Valmet M76Valmet

The small size difference is a world of difference to me and how I generally dress. I can conceal a 17 just fine, but can I conceal it regularly and comfortably as compared to a 19, not so much.

Gen IV, SevenSixtyTwo and TGT like this.
  9. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

Why you carry, where you carry, what your criteria for the term concealed means, what your criteria for what "adequate" means for caliber, round count, sight radius, etc. etc. etc., all adds up to what makes sense or what "I can CC" means.

Everybody is different, what works for them in carry is different. Worrying about what makes sense for someone else, or what "works" for someone else is futile in my opinion.

LarryNC, SpamtownG19, 10or45 and 11 others like this.
  10. fallhunter

fallhunter

I carry what I want. Which is usually a bigger gun. I don't give a crap about printing. Just let my shirt drape over it and it's concealed.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

11. fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls

Same....
    The trick for bigger guns is forward cant. Most holsters for a 19 or smaller don't have enough forward cant to hide a bigger grip.

RCJH, rayzer007, mig1nc and 6 others like this.
  12. Overkill777

Overkill777

I can carry the 19 or the 17 but the 19 is easier.

13. sciolist

sciolist

Concealment of a carry gun and whether or not it prints significantly are 2 separate issues. And then there's the issue of actually being able to use the gun, which is largely beyond the ability of most CHL carriers.

14. SWFlGuy

SWFlGuy

Really? Seems a bit narcissistic

15. bac1023

bac1023

Uh, because its bigger...

16. t4terrific

t4terrific

The grip is what prints IWB. The longer the grip, the worse the print when you bend over.

17. rock_castle

rock_castle Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

Weight and length of grip make the 17 more difficult to conceal. It’s just a fact and you can’t cheat physics.

Cali.Glock likes this.
  18. powernoodle

powernoodle

Because the 17 is bigger.

:dog::dog::dog:

ChuteTheMall, Warp and rock_castle like this.
  19. Paul53

Paul53 Uh, who? Me?

I hae a G19. I don't have a G17.

G19 fan likes this.
  20. jr24

jr24

Yeah, I agree. Certain t-shirts I own will cover a G19 and not a G17 without printing, but most other times if I can carry a 19, I can carry a 17.

Then again, moving to a 21 from a 17 isn't that much more work...

hairy1harry and Glock_n_load like this.