Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 170 Posts

·
1911 lover
10,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was watching a few videos on cast trunnion failures and canted sights and worn out barrels... and 2.5 to 4 moa accuracy of ak platform rifles.. along with stocks not being able to be swapped due to unusual patterns of certain makers.. and the horiffic machining of bolts and pistons.. and lack of hold open.. non spec mag wells.. and general dried up cheap ammo sources and wonder why people want these rifles at all.... seems like a lot of ways to get low accuracy poorly made rifles and a few now expensive machines worth owning..

500 to 600 bucks gets you a great s&w or ruger ar.. for 800 dollars you can get a smith 308 brand new ar with lifetime warranty and one to 1.5 moa accuracy easy to find. I just dont see why people want to spend huge money to get poorly made ak pattern rifles.

When you could get a wasr or sar 1 for 250 bucks and 7.62 x 39 ammo was 80 bucks a thousand I understood. Now I dont see the desire.

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Majority of AKs don't have those problems. Steel cased 7.62x39 is on par with steel cased .223 as far as price goes. Yugo surplus mags or BHO followers hold the bolt on the last round if so desired.

·
Registered
12,114 Posts
Punishing round. Always fires. Does not need to be cleaned. A monkey could use it. Very accurate if you actually know how to shoot a gun.
I think the 7.62x39 is a mediocre round. A 5.56x45 does more damage at short range and is more likely to hit at medium range. The AK47 mostly always fires, mostly, it's not magic just reliable. Accurate by what standard? If an AR-15 can't get a group half the size of an AK I would be trouble shooting it to see what is wrong.

Reactions: byf43

·
1911 lover
10,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Punishing round. Always fires. Does not need to be cleaned. A monkey could use it. Very accurate if you actually know how to shoot a gun. Looks cool. Cheap to manufacture and own. Did I say how cool it looks.
So someone with skill can take an inaccurate rifle and make it shoot great ?? You have no idea..

And ak manufacture is beyond expensive to set up.. lots of steps to make a half decent ak.. ak production was cheap with slave labor in china or russia. Learn the history of russia building milled ak rifles. Not cheap at all.

·
1911 lover
10,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Punishing round.. ???
the 30 30 is more powerful than 7.62 x 39 in most loadings.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
So someone with skill can take an inaccurate rifle and make it shoot great ?? You have no idea..

And ak manufacture is beyond expensive to set up.. lots of steps to make a half decent ak.. ak production was cheap with slave labor in china or russia. Learn the history of russia building milled ak rifles. Not cheap at all.
Watch how accurate Rob Ski can shoot an ak. Is a thousand yards hitting a steel plate accurate enough??

·
1911 lover
10,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pete you think ak rifles need no maintainance ?? Good luck. Thats what they said about the early m16 in vietnam. Self cleaning..

I sold 2 romanian ak rifles that were junk and failed to fire often.. my ar rifles from colt and bushmaster and 4 of the s&w just keep working. But they get regular maintainance.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I like both the AR and AK platforms and have a number of both of them.

All of my AKs and ARs are accurate and reliable. The trick is to get good examples of each. I do agree that AK pricing has gone through the roof and ARs are really well priced right now.

Which do I like better? Really hard for me to say. One thing that’s always bugged me about ARs is the wobbly feeling between uppers and lowers and rattling stocks. My ARs are solid because of tensioning devices and good stocks with leaf springs but I’ve handled a number of examples where they felt like cheap, rattling toys (even though they weren’t). AKs by contrast usually feel solid, like a crude club, and I really like that.

The holy grail of rifles for me is now the Galil Ace, the best of the AK combined with many of the features of the AR. I can’t say enough about that platform and obviates most shortcomings of both platforms. Pricey though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Reliable. Cheap ammunition.

A universal rifle throughout much of the world.

I have a Century RAS-47, only. I had a Romanian SAR AK but traded it towards a S&W 500 Magnum 6.5”.

Too bad the importation of Russian AK rifles was halted. I really wanted a VEPR AK.

I have only shot a box of my AK. It’s fun but I prefer the AR-15 and AR-10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Reliable. Cheap ammunition.

A universal rifle throughout much of the world.

I have a Century RAS-47, only. I had a Romanian SAR AK but traded it towards a S&W 500 Magnum 6.5”.

Too bad the importation of Russian AK rifles was halted. I really wanted a VEPR AK.

I have only shot a box of my AK. It’s fun but I prefer the AR-15 and AR-10.

I have several Veprs. If the OP ever had a chance to shoot one, he’d change his mind about AKs on the spot.

·
Registered
12,114 Posts
Watch how accurate Rob Ski can shoot an ak. Is a thousand yards hitting a steel plate accurate enough??
Ok I see a guy on YouTube with dozens of videos, can you post the one you mentioned? How big is the steel plate?

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I have several Veprs. If the OP ever had a chance to shoot one, he’d change his mind about AKs on the spot.

Exactly.

I had a VEPR 12. It was great fun for a semiautomatic shotgun, but it was huge and took up a lot of space in the safe. I also had a Saiga 12.

A Galil is another alluring rifle.

I just have had my fill of rifles, and a I have a ton of bolt action, AR-15, AR-10, and suppressed guns. My main rifle these days is a suppressed Ruger 10/22 in the back of the property.

Otherwise I would have just bought a really high end one and been done with it.

Being able to handle a gun that is used in other countries is one of the best skills to have... in the cases for a military/paramilitary individual.

Considering that the typical loose tolerances that they have, they can be shot dirty. You can’t really say that for an AR or even a bolt action.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Sounds like you've seen some pretty horrific videos, and I'd venture a guess that all of the featured rifles were out of the worst batches from Century Arms. The company isn't inherently bad, they've just had more than their share of ****ty guns.
Trying to compare the AK & AR platforms is a difficult thing. Both have the pros & cons, and you have to look at what they were designed to do & who the intended end user was.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I like ARs and I like AKs. I started out with AK rifles. Awesome rifles, never given me a problem in the thousands of rounds I've shot.

That said. I don't own any with cast trunnions, bolts, or any crap like that.

With canted front sights, normally there is enough adjustment to still zero the rifle. On one AK I had, the there wasn't enough adjustment. Wasn't a big deal, just knock the 2 pins out, realign the front sight, then redrill the holes.

1 - 20 of 170 Posts