Why do most Indiana maps depict the concavity in the NW?

Discussion in 'Indiana Glockers' started by FThorn, Aug 1, 2007.

1. FThorn

FThorn TV/Movie Club

I mean, when Indiana as a state is shown by itself, they lop off the Lake Michigan part?

Doesn't Indiana own the line straight across the top? Wouldn't that then be the more technically correct map (Outline)?

If not, who owns the land under the great lakes?

2. pistolman

pistolman Guest

Mitch Daniels privatized that area and sold it to Canada. HAHAHAHAHA:rofl: :rofl:

3. MakeMineaP99

MakeMineaP99 Guest

Say what you want about Mitch, he's light years better than the previous adminstration in the past two decades.

4. singlestacksig

singlestacksig Guest

IIRC Indiana ownes x miles out, then it is US territorial waters.

5. pistolman

pistolman Guest

I like Mitch. I just had to poke fun at him for a minute.:tongueout:

6. KSFreeman

KSFreeman Guest

I say we keep Lake Michigan and change the name to Lake Indiana. As well, if we sell anything to the Canadians, let's sell them Gary!

7. R. Emmelman

R. Emmelman Guest

For $24 worth of beads and trinkets. :supergrin:

8. Dyerbill

Dyerbill

You guys are a rough crowd.

I mean what's so bad about Gary???????:rofl:
    Murders drug deals welfare fraud crooked politians.
    It's not like Gary is East Chicago.......................oh I guess it is.

Okay let canada have Gary but I want to add Marion County and Bart.:tongueout:

P.S. I plan on voting for Mitch again.:thumbsup:

9. cougar_guy04

cougar_guy04 Guest

Might want to hook up with some downstate Illinoisans on this deal. We'll throw in Chicago for free just to get rid of it. Blago goes with it though.

10. Indy_Guy_77

Indy_Guy_77 Thread Killer

Probably for the same reason that the Ohio River isn't included on like maps.... Or the Wabash river isn't included...

Easier to depict just the "land" because it's 100% easier to deliniate on paper than the extent of the borders into the water.

-J-

11. Brian Dover

Brian Dover

Including the part of Lake Erie belonging to Ohio would change the shape of our state, it would no longer resemble a delicious pork chop! Well that's how it looks to me anyhow. Including the lake, it would be shaped like a square headed guy with a blue hat. :rofl: Can't quite picture how the Hoosier state would look with its portion of Lake Michigan--oops, I mean Lake Indiana--included up top.

12. R. Emmelman

R. Emmelman Guest

The Ohio river is owned by Kentucky

Link

Ownership of the Ohio River

Since the late 1700s, various states have claimed ownership of various stretches of the Ohio River. The principal reason was to garner wealth from the trade that occured on the river. In 1792, the federal government determined that Kentucky owned the Ohio River along its border with Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois. In essence, the boundary between Kentucky and these three future states would be the low point of the Ohio River's northernmost bank.

Both Indiana and Ohio have sought to claim the Ohio River, despite the federal government's declaration in 1792. In 1966, Ohio claimed that the Ohio River's course had fluctuated since 1792, so that the low point of the Ohio River's northernmost bank in 1792 actually would be near the south bank of the river today. Ohio asked the United States Supreme Court to give ownership of the river to Ohio or, at the bare minimum, to set the boundary between Kentucky and Ohio in the midpoint of the Ohio River. The Supreme Court ruled that Kentucky had legal ownership to the Ohio River.