Why do men ask strangers on what guns their women should have?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by fnfalman, Apr 17, 2012.

1. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Seriously, the logic escapes me. What do I know about your female's armed needs?

Why is it too hard for you to send your women to some sort of formal training (preferrably taught by women) so that they can address the carry & concealment issues, not to mention shootability of certain types of handguns?

Owning a gun is a serious responsibility that should take more consideration than asking strangers in hope to validate your opinions and get the "lil' lady" something that she can't shoot a damn, or so unpleasant that she won't ever bother to shoot again.

2. RedNine

RedNine AutomatedSystem

In my opinion, they could either try to learn a bit more about guns or a bit more about the women in their lives. Take her to the range when it's not crowded and let her shoot an assortment of guns. She'll choose the one the suits her best. Not you. And definitely not some stranger.

3. collim1

collim1

Because usually its the man who would feel better about leaving his wife at home alone if he knew she had a firearm within reach, but she doesn't give a crap about it.

Thats my situation atleast. I work nights and feel better knowing the wife has a gun on her nightstand and a large dog inside with her. She is less than enthusiastic and only appeases me by keeping a 4" model 10 on the nightstand next to her.

She cares little about going to the range with me and shooting, which is a shame because the few times I have got her to shoot with me she showed real potential. She has good natural form and is not recoil shy. She could be really good with a little work, she just doesn't care.

4. janice6

janice6

I think that it's because they want to tell someone their significant other wants a gun.....Pride?

5. ChicagoZman

ChicagoZman

My wife wanted to pick out her own firearm and rightly so. She got the one with which she is comfortable, not the one that is comfortable to me. She chose a 4" Ruger GP100 and loves it. It wouldn't have been my choice, but its not my gun, its hers.

6. janice6

janice6

My friends wife picked out a .357 Magnum J frame for herself and he says she is very good with it. I am impressed.

She should get what she wants, mine did.

7. TN.Frank

TN.Frank "Don't Tread On Me!"

I agree with that some what. A firearm would be the last thing on my wife's list of "must haves" even thought she totally understands the need for having one around. It's just not a priority with her. On the other hand I DO know what she likes and what she dislikes in a firearm. She can't stand small semi-autos and isn't really comfortable with a larger semi either. She likes revolvers but prefers a longer barrel as opposed to a snub nose even though she understands that a snub is easier to carry. Perfect gun for her would be something like a Ruger SP-101 357Mag with the 3" bbl loaded with 38spl. For now if something happens in the home she'll just have to deal with my S&W 642 though, I'll take the 45, that way we're both armed.

8. Shinesintx

Shinesintx

Something to do? It would not be a very fun forum if no one asked questions...but I do see your point.

I find it silly when people ****** and moan about certain threads taking up bandwidth...

9. Bruce M

Bruce M

That's my first guess also. And I suspect sometimes they want the pride of getting her a gun whether she wants one or not. Of course I remain amazed at some of advice that is sought out here and also of the wealth of information some here have.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  10. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Bantering on the forum is one thing, but doing it in real life is another.

If they don't want to teach their wives how to shoot (because they don't know how to or don't want to), then get the women some professional trainings. Just because I know guns, it doesn't mean that my opinion should serve as some sort of validation for what you want to get the old lady.

I don't mind letting the old lady go at it with any of my guns, but asking everybody except her what she should have is utterly ludicrous.

I don't care if the British SAS uses SIG Sauer P226 or Wilson Combat Executive Elite is the finest shooting pistol extant or the old standby SW snubbie purse gun is "safe for novice". If she were to be expected to carry it and be knowledgeable about it, then she should be the one making the decision on what iron to pack. Not me, not you, not Joe the Plumber.

11. CBennett

CBennett

Ive never asked BUT that said sometimes ive been totally unaware of a certain model or brand thats out there or coming out thats the reason id ask. Other than that yes ive always found it odd why people come on boards to ask stuff like that...or ask why their dog is sick or what ever....I mean why would i come on a gun board and ask people here about my dogs ailments...id not do that id GO TO A VET AND ASK THEM lol.

That said my wife knows how to use my guns but since she isnt willing to train and or drill with and kind of semi autos her HD weapon is a Taurus CH85 .38 special....simple to run, simple to reload(not i didnt say quick..but it is simple) and its not gonna stove pipe, you cant limp wrist it and if it goes click no bang..no complicated(for a person not willing to train in how to do so) clearing procedures just pull the trigger again. I didnt have to ask anyone..I just knew that would be her best choice cause she isnt willing to learn anything more complicated than a revolver...case closed.

12. wavetrain75

wavetrain75 Useless Member

Because he's a man. He knows that no matter what he does it won't be right, and if he asks a stranger he can blame it on him.

13. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Interesting...

14. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

That's a good line of reasoning...assuming that the woman has finger strength to pull the DA trigger.

This lady couldn't fire my Colt snubbie to save her life simply because she doesn't have the finger strength to pull the trigger. Yet the husband insisted on wanting to buy her a snubbie of some sort, and he kept wanting my affirmation. Hell, if she can't pull the trigger on a slicked up Colt action...she needs to do some fingers exercise or go to a different gun. Insisting on a snubbie ain't gonna work.

15. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

I just let my GF shoot whatever of my guns she wants, whenever she wants. The trigger pull is much more important to her than recoil, grip size, or any other variable.

16. joecoastie

joecoastie

A lot of men are pretty clueless when they buy a gun for the woman in their life, most the time they don't seek any of her input and pick out a gun based upon their own preferences, or the recommendation of another guy behind the counter, or the fact that its pink. Why are J-frames considered such an ideal gun for females? Sure they are easier to carry but they definitely have more of a learning curve for anyone inexperienced with small revolvers, regardless of whether they are male or female. Its one of those conventional wisdoms that make me cringe whenever I hear it repeated.

17. Metal Angel

Metal Angel

My wife likes to shoot. She does not like to shop for guns or talk about guns. The actual activity is fun for her, but the obsessing about it (like all of us do) is not fun for her. So, the reason I ask for advise about handguns for my lady is because I want to know what has been successful with other dudes' ladies, so that when we go to a gunshop to look for her gun, I can have a handful of suggestions. That way she doesn't have to handle every gun in the damn shop. She will be bored and thinking about where we are going next by the 3rd or 4th gun she handles. I don't see why it's so rediculous to ask for advise from other men who have experience with women shooters.

And certainly, if I had 100 guns in my collection, she could shoot them all and decide what she likes. That would be ideal... But I don't.

18. Aceman

Aceman

Usually because she doesn't want one, or to talk about it.

Because they don't respect hr enough to value her opinion.

Because they themselves are to stupid to know that the most important opinion is that of the person who will hold it, point it, shoot it.

I bet most dudes who ask this end up divorced or alone....

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  19. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

I think this is the most reasonable response in this thread.

It doesn't have to all be conspiracy theory. I'm sure most guys will let their woman choose what she wants. Only a few will push her into a gun she doesn't like. So these internet questions are just pre-shopping ideas.

In spite of the bickering, GT has a lot of smart guys/gals :)

20. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

The real question is, "What do you know about YOUR female's armed needs?"

I thought I knew mine pretty well, but I went through a long streak of semi-autos and revolvers that she didn't like. I finally just let her shoot everything I had, and she stole my FN Five seveN. It would not have been on my list of guesses as to what she would like. It's big and fat, and not at all a "cute" handgun. She loves the way it shoots though, and enough so that she is willing to work hard to conceal it.

Maybe that's what the other opinions are about? It could have saved me almost 10 years of trial and error.