GlockTalk Forum banner

41 - 60 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
The obvious reason is to seperate the bosses from the troops. This can be good and bad. It makes it easy to identify who's in charge at a chaotic scene, even for civilians. On the other hand it visually establishes an "us vs. them" dynamic among the police employees themselves. It kind of all comes down to what the police adminstrator who makes the decision values as a "leadership" ideal. Do you have your supervisors stand apart from the personnel they lead to inspire and command or do you visually state that "we're all in this together" and put everyone in the same uniform?

We only had one chief who put management in white shirts. When he left, the next guy switched them back.

I was always a contrarian and I preferred the bosses wearing white shirts. The "us vs. them" dynamic between management and labor always exists anyway. Might as well make it hard for them to sneak up on us when we're grumbling about their stupid decisions.

That is a really good explanation, thanks!

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
We have all the same uniform. Brass just typically wears a Class A with no tie or B.

most of Sergeants and below wear a C. Few guys wear B’s on the road, but usually once summer hits, everyone’s in outer carriers and polos.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Had by far the best answer but of course it got deleted. No sense of humor these days I swear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31,321 Posts
The only time we had white shirts was when wearing class A uniform including the Ike jacket. By the time I came around it had been a decade since everyone took a department picture and I don't know when they stopped buying that stuff.

We put together an honor guard and they went with white shirts because the two most senior people actually had them. Then the rest of the department just used blue shirts and Ike jackets.

There was talk of dropping the Ike jackets because SoCal doesn't wear them and we aren't too cold, even in winter.

Reactions: ranger1968

·
Unfair Facist
26,179 Posts
The only time we had white shirts was when wearing class A uniform including the Ike jacket. By the time I came around it had been a decade since everyone took a department picture and I don't know when they stopped buying that stuff.

We put together an honor guard and they went with white shirts because the two most senior people actually had them. Then the rest of the department just used blue shirts and Ike jackets.

There was talk of dropping the Ike jackets because SoCal doesn't wear them and we aren't too cold, even in winter.
Interrestingly enough, I often considered some of our admins that wore white shirts were definitely Grade A’s

Reactions: CAcop and pgg00

·
Registered
52 Posts
My Sheriff made me wear a white shirt! Not long after, when I was directed to review our policies, I changed the uniform policy to allow brown shirts...same as Sgt's and Patrol Deputies! Sheriff must've missed that part when he signed off on it as he was a bit surprised when I started wearing brown again! Shame on me!

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
In most weddings a Bride is in white to symbol her as pure,,, the uppers want the look of purity to the one's who really do the work.

·
Unfair Facist
26,179 Posts
In most weddings a Bride is in white to symbol her as pure,,, the uppers want the look of purity to the one's who really do the work.
I think you may be onto something.

The message is they are virgins never been a real cop a day in their life.

Reactions: pgg00

·
Registered
982 Posts
Only some do it I don’t have a white shirt yet I am in a position where I can wear one.Think it sends the wrong message to the troops I’m no better than they are I need to be able to do every grant job they do.I know where it comes from and comes from the separation of officers and enlisted because we are para military

I did too. 'Rank n file' crew had orange uniform 'tee shirts' they could wear instead of the grey uniform shirt. Back then, if you had the orange shirt on, you didn't have to wear a safety vest --- So I always wore that orange tee shirt too! Hey, it's hot down here in Fl year-round. Heat stroke was always possible, so EVERYBODY hated those stinking "safety" vests!
Then one day, they made all us supervisors wear white tee shirts if we didn't want to wear our white dress shirts... We wore the white tees and stayed in the ac after that. ;)

·
Anti-Federalist
19,630 Posts
Wow that is fascinating, I never knew that hardhats were color-coded.

What does a red hardhat signify? Also, what about gray? Sometimes I see people with red or gray hardhats.
You can get a hardhat in any color you like, doesn't mean it symbolizes anything. Color coded hardhats are typically seen at large corporate facilities with an SOP and not typically adhered too on your standard construction site. At least in here in the South.

Reactions: BlueBayShepherd

·
Registered
991 Posts
Supervisors at my dept only wear white in class A’s.

·
NRA4EVR
11,587 Posts
I taught my trainees that when responding to an incident that fire is the lead agency, find the guy with a different-colored helmet and ask him what to do.

Of course, we have stripes or collar brass so no need for different shirts or hats.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Well to me the White Shirt are dumb from safety sty and post, point them out as in charge. Two kind of Supervisors, those who work with troops leading from front, those who stay in safe spaces.

·
Registered
5,915 Posts
Out LTs and above wore them, but that changed with the new agency head. Everyone wears the same now.

i don’t care one way or another if they wear white or not. They rarely did anything but administration anyway so a white shirt for the office, meetings, luncheons, etc goes with the territory.

·
Unfair Facist
26,179 Posts
Out LTs and above wore them, but that changed with the new agency head. Everyone wears the same now.

i don’t care one way or another if they wear white or not. They rarely did anything but administration anyway so a white shirt for the office, meetings, luncheons, etc goes with the territory.
Plus it helped their self esteem, made them feel special. And helped soothe their butt hurt feelings for how they know working cops think of them.

Reactions: Ftttu
41 - 60 of 92 Posts